INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Find License  (Read 3096 times)

petts5354

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Can't Find License
« on: November 03, 2004, 04:55:07 pm »

Why do I get a dialog box / error message that says:

Playback Engine: Media Jukebox is unable to acquire license for this file.
Windows Media Error:0x80070020

It happens intermitently and not always on the same songs.

How do I make this stop happening!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Can't Find License
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 05:22:34 pm »

They may be WMA files that are encrypted.  MJ8 won't support them.  Media Center will:

www.jrmediacenter.com

petts5354

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 05:28:01 pm »

If were so, would they play sometimes and not other times?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:32:14 pm »

I don't think so.

Are they WMA?  Did you buy them or make them by ripping a CD?

petts5354

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:33:26 pm »

WMA? Yes
Ripped? Yes

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 05:35:40 pm »

I don't know what the problem is but I would recommend that you try MC.  

petts5354

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 05:39:18 pm »

Or an older version. Mmmmm.

gd

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 09:10:48 am »

Why do I get a dialog box / error message that says:

Playback Engine: Media Jukebox is unable to acquire license for this file.
Windows Media Error:0x80070020

It happens intermitently and not always on the same songs.

How do I make this stop happening!!

I am having the same problem as well. All of my tracks are not encrypted and are wma. It happens intermittently and at random and then the whole program crashes. Often I can re-start the program and select the song that made the crash in the first place and it will play fine.

This issue needs to be looked into.

The program is not doing its job properly for me. As I have only just bought it, I do not want to upgrade to Media Center for another $15. I wanted Media Jukebox, I paid for it, its not doing its job. Is that fair?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 09:53:00 am »

i don't know the ins and outs of windows media files but it also may have something to do with Microsoft, since microsoft changed the way windows media files are handled in there newer versions of windows media player.

if i am not mistaken Media Jukebox worked fine with a media license with media player 8 installed, and prior to MJ.8.0.400 that was released a few years ago.

also someone reported MC10 did not work correctly with windows media player 10 installed.

so when microsoft changes things things do tend to brake, and i don't think J river is making any changes to there older players.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gd

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:25:49 am »

That sounds plausible, indeed there have been problems with other programmes when Windows XP Service Pack 2 came out. But I don't understand why Media Jukebox even looks for a license if the wma file is not encrypted?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 12:45:58 pm »

That sounds plausible, indeed there have been problems with other programmes when Windows XP Service Pack 2 came out. But I don't understand why Media Jukebox even looks for a license if the wma file is not encrypted?

I found this, not sure if it will help

1. does the files play on the currently installed windows media player

if not maybe this will help

2. if it does maybe it will help anyway with MJ

but there is a utility that will regenerate A license On older windows media files

i think i would only use it on some test files

and read the info provided on this page

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm/pluwiz.aspx

Disclamer: I have no idea what i am doing and have never understood life it's self.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mellissasea

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 02:31:04 pm »

I've been having this same problem with the "cant acquire license" error.  It happens intermittently, and unexpectedly.  

I tried updating my files with this Windows solution as suggested, but it didn't solve the problem with Jukebox.  

The error continues to pop up randomly, stopping all playback till I can get back to the computer and press "OK."  It makes the program all but un-useable for me.  Very frustrating.

I am also loathe to upgrade to Media Center without indication this bug will cease.  

I am running Windows XP, by the way.  Don't know if it matters.  I've searched for a solution on Windows sites, and on general google search.  NO Help.

Please, Jukebox people, fix this bug.  Ideas?

Mellissa

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 03:15:23 pm »

I am also loathe to upgrade to Media Center without indication this bug will cease.

why don't you install MC11 and see if it works on your 30 free trial?

Fayetteville, NC, USA

mellissasea

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 10:13:46 pm »

I started to do just that, when I saw the warnings about being careful about backing up all my music files cause I'd have to uninstall mj to install mc, and it made me nervous.  

If I install mc for 30 days and then have to cancel, how will i get my mj back?

If I install mc on the free trial, will it futz up my music files, my playlists, etc?

But here's the bigger issue:

Why am I the one doing the QA on this product bug?  It is clearly an issue shared by many of us.  Isn't there a team in the company whose job it is to investigate this stuff and fix bugs & release patches?  Am I insane for asking?  

I did PAY for this thing, and I can't use it.  Seems like I should get a FREE upgrade to MC if you can't direct me to a fix.  Doesn't that seem more fair than having me risk more to solve this issue for everyone including MJ?

Mellissa

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 09:25:04 am »

I can't answer your questions about this matter.

I also do not work for J River.

i do know there were some changes in 8.0.400 and i think it had something to do with windows media files and the license for the media files.

It also has something to do with what windows media version you have installed. it did work with windows media but MJ8 may not work with newer versions of windows media player.

Don't know what to tell you.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 10:27:59 am »

Why am I the one doing the QA on this product bug?  It is clearly an issue shared by many of us.  Isn't there a team in the company whose job it is to investigate this stuff and fix bugs & release patches?  Am I insane for asking?  

I did PAY for this thing, and I can't use it.  Seems like I should get a FREE upgrade to MC if you can't direct me to a fix.  Doesn't that seem more fair than having me risk more to solve this issue for everyone including MJ?
This product / This thing has been out for several years without significant problems.  

I believe what you're reporting has to do with playing WMA files that are licensed (encrypted).  MJ does not support these since they were created after MJ was.  MC does.

Please provide any details you can, and we'll try to help.

mellissasea

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 05:23:33 pm »

Jim H,

You wrote: "This product / This thing has been out for several years without significant problems."  

Please understand that since I can't play a playlist without it randomly stopping at points, I DO consider this a "significant problem," especially considering other customers are having this same problem.  Don't you agree?

As for details about this product bug, if you read my posts, you willl have all the details I have.

I did have two other questions you didn't answer about installing MC, and you didn't respond to my request for a free upgrade to the product you claim will (probably... maybe?) fix my issue.

At this point, I'm feeling really disappointed in my purchase of this software.  Do you have a money-back guarantee?  Cause I've spent a good deal of time researching this problem, posting here, and trying to work this out.  I ain't feeling satisfied.  (Cue Rolling Stones)

Yet I hope you all have lovely holidays in all.  No hard feelings.  Just wish I had my money, time, and energy back.

Thank YOU to KingSparta for reading my messages and responding with your ideas - I really appreciate your time and effort.

Good LUCK to gd and Petts5354 who represent the others who are wrestling with this same bug/issue.  Let me know if you find any answers, please!  It'll take me a while to save up for the ipod.

Mellissa

Pages: [1]   Go Up