INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about the new Tivo Server Plug in  (Read 2566 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Question about the new Tivo Server Plug in
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:55:04 pm »

So it seems that MC itself now needs to be running all the time to keep the server going - that to me is a disadvantage of the plug-in approach.

Why are you moving the Tivo Server (and LIbbrary Server) to a plug in rather than being a seperate Media Server as it is now.?  What are the advantages (either to me or to you as developers).

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Question about the new Tivo Server Plug in
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:34:22 pm »

Once we have these servers running in a stable way, we'll probably incorporate them into a single shell that can control their setup.  We may also be able to run some or all of them as services.

RobOK

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 10:39:34 am »

So in the plug in architecture, I don't need to stop and restart Tivo Server if I have added or modified the library, is that correct?  It has real time access to the most up to date library?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 10:02:24 am »

Correct for TiVo Server. You must reload the library to get changes with the Library Server client.

j

RobOK

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 10:08:05 am »

I am trying Library Server for the first time, both machines on 11.127, so fairly recent builds.

I made a bunch of changes to the Library Server over the past week, but now I am connecting today to what seems to be a library that is really old, like a week or more old.  I have some very specific playlists I added so I know  it is old.

At some point I had to re-install v 10 on the server machine, so I have both 10 and 11 on the machine, but 11 is definitely the one running.  Is it somehow possible that my v11 Library Server is looking at a v10 library?  Does Library Server just use the currently loaded  library or does it load some static version of the  library (like Media Server does).  I am confused.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 10:18:18 am »

Hi Rob,

In the library server options, you choose which library to share.

Note that on the client, you must reload the library to see changes made on the server since the last time you loaded.

j

RobOK

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 08:03:05 pm »

just to close this out..... somehow i had a "hidden" v10 media server running an old library, I think a remnant of something not shutting down correctly.  I saw it in the process listing after doing a ctrl-alt-del.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 09:58:00 pm »

Strange - thanks for pointing it out. I'll try to figure out what went wrong...

j

goose

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 05:36:36 pm »

just to close this out..... somehow i had a "hidden" v10 media server running an old library, I think a remnant of something not shutting down correctly.  I saw it in the process listing after doing a ctrl-alt-del.

Having the same situation occur whenever I reboot....an errant instance of MediaServer shows up in processes running but is not usable nor shown on taskbar.....if I shut it down in task manager and then restart from MC, it works again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up