Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 5041 times)

Richard Foreman

Linux
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:01:47 pm »

I would love to see this program available for my Linux machine .. excuse my ignorance but what are the issues with that .. would you not be able to charge for a licence ?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 12:44:00 am »

I think its feasible for the server component only. You would still need to use a windows MC client to access it.

A linux client does not seem feasible for the moment.

Wanmor

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 08:20:10 am »

I would love a linux client, as well... would it be so hard to make a client that just:

a)  connects to Windows MC server to download the library
b)  lets me browse or search the library to make a playlist
c)  receives a stream or opens a file from a network share
d)  plays the content using one of the player apps already available on linux

Or what about opening up that proprietary library protocol and I'll write one myself?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 09:34:30 am »

Cough ... OSX MC ... cough.

(I know, I know.... Their market share is expected to climb soon though.)

That being said, I could also see value in a separate, standalone Media Library Server for linux.  Of course, this would require that MC's database be migrated from the flat-file approach it uses now to a true, network-friendly, relational database (otherwise you wouldn't be able to tag any files since tagging can only currently "stick" on the Media Server PC).

On another note (OSX again), if there were to be a version of MC for OSX, the mac mini could potentially be a viable HTPC option (for those people who don't care about gaming).  Many people were hopeful of possibilties for exactly this, but the software support isn't there.  I imagine Apple might be willing to help on a project that would give them that benefit.....
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 09:40:36 am »

I would love to see this program available for my Linux machine .. excuse my ignorance but what are the issues with that .. would you not be able to charge for a licence ?

I believe that the issue is that MC is built on .NET ... Of course there is mono.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 10:23:46 am »

I believe that the issue is that MC is built on .NET ...

What makes you say that ? Don't recall having to install the .NET framework to use MC.

Plugins..now that's another matter. Seems the young un's only learn .NET now, so they require .NET for evey plugin they make.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 01:20:09 pm »

I don't recall where I got that idea, though I definately did some time ago.  It is entirely possible that it is developed using Visual Studio .NET, but programmed in C++ and I just misunderstood... (Or I could be right).  I have the .NET framework installed on my machines at home (since I have VS.NET 2003 installed on both of the Windows ones), and at work (ATI Video Card with CCC Drivers) so I never would have noticed...

Maybe it was back when they added the 3D visualizations (or the 3D Pong)... Did those require .NET?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 01:54:57 pm »

Dont think so...can't recall JRiver ever telling people to download .NET to use MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:43:31 pm »

Ok... Maybe I'm wrong on that!   :-[

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 06:18:57 pm »

IIRC Someone reported on the forum a year or so ago that they had MJ running on Linux using a win emulator, I have no idea if MC will also run this way. Just search all forums for 'linux' to find it.

Tab

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 12:43:27 pm »

If it was using .NET it's footprint would be more like
Bigfoots, ie it would be taking up 4x as much memory.
 :)
(hriZ

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 08:33:35 pm »

Is there a Windows Media Player for linux?
DirectX audio and video for linux?

"Simple" things like that have to be considered.

And the linux market just isn't that big and seems to be highly oriented towards freeware.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 09:08:24 pm »

Hi Y'all,

I haven't given up hope on a linux implementation, but I'm not sure I'm any closer than I was last time this topic came around. There are a lot of technical issues to cross before even considering the financial business issues.

j

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 07:31:12 pm »

Reading about the Playstation 3 and the cell processor is running on linux by IBM, I think MC MUST be ported to Linux.

Assuming the PS3 does run on linux or can have a linux kit on its removable HD, I would love to have the power of the cell running MC rather than build a standalone music server pc which will cost me a grand.

The PS3 will be way more powerfull than that music server and cheaprer by probably $600, so why waste my time.  Assuming the PS3 is quite, and has a decent sound card then running MC on it would be perfect.  Imagine having a Playstation protable with wifi updating itself through MC using the PS3. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I only want one box if possible and Im thinking the PS3 is gonna be it!
The power of that thing will last much longer than any music server I can build today by porbably 5 years or so.

For users of the xbox 360 im sure linux will be able to run on it since you can allready with the first xbox.

JRiver,  save us audio enthusasts the TIME and CASH needed to build a media server when we can just load MC on one of these consoles in the LIVING ROOM where our stereo is.

MC needs to get on the Linux train NOW!

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 02:20:25 am »

Can't the xbox run windows ?

playstation is another matter.

NumberEleventeen

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 04:08:18 am »

xbox can't run windows, nor could playstation 3.

It's obviously gonna be very hard to reversh engineer for such things, like any console. But it's next gen.. Blu ray drive for one won't even load disks without Sony's copy protection on em..

Xbox 360 will probly be modded to run linux. With media center ported to linux, that would be an awesome media center indeed... Any filetype, always HD, pretty sweet.

But with all that hardware who knows what it will cost. I wouldn't be surprised at 500/600 bucks. Heck the 2 nvidia cards in the PS3 cost over a grand for the PC alone right now.

There's no licensing reason not to port MC. You can set up serials, online detections, every form of copy protection you like same as windows. Warez is non existant in linux so actualy the chance of stealing it is lower.
People just rather run the dozens of freeware opensource players then pay for one. But if you paid for the windows one, and linux version would be cool.

Nero did it, you just enter ur windows serial and download the linux version.

MC can too.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 11:53:52 am »

Xbox 360 will probly be modded to run linux.

You got to be kidding, what makes you think this?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 09:47:01 pm »

You got to be kidding, what makes you think this?

The current xbox is and apparently works well so........

Would a linux version open up a whole new market of users? Maybe, maybe not.  You won't know unless you give it a shot.  As it is MC doesn't advertise anyways plus I think they are moving to music distribution revenues so getting MC on as many platforms as possible would be the key for that model to work.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 12:19:51 am »

The current xbox is and apparently works well so........

Would a linux version open up a whole new market of users? Maybe, maybe not.  You won't know unless you give it a shot.  As it is MC doesn't advertise anyways plus I think they are moving to music distribution revenues so getting MC on as many platforms as possible would be the key for that model to work.

Ah, the 'Field of Dreams' school of business. If you build it, they will come.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 03:41:54 am »

xbox can't run windows, nor could playstation 3.

It's obviously gonna be very hard to reversh engineer for such things, like any console. But it's next gen.. Blu ray drive for one won't even load disks without Sony's copy protection on em..

Xbox 360 will probly be modded to run linux. With media center ported to linux, that would be an awesome media center indeed... Any filetype, always HD, pretty sweet.

Hmm...i'm thinking this might change with the new xbox 360.

Isn't M$ the maker of the xbox ?

It's more than a bit ironic that linux can run on it and not windows. well maybe the first one was not powerful enough for windows but more than enough for linux.

but the 360 should be powerful enough for windows ..no ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 02:18:20 am »

The first one was plenty powerful enough for Windows (it was just a Pentium 3 700 MHz computer in a little box), but Microsoft certainly wasn't going to make a version of Windows that would run on it.  They could, but they won't.  And you can't because the source code isn't available (and the EULA legally bars you from reverse engineering it).

Linux, on the otherhand, being "free" software (free as in liberty, not free as in beer) includes the Source Code so users are free (and enabled) to create their own X-Box friendly versions of Linux.  And they did.  Right away.  Really, especially when they first came out, the X-Box was a pretty nice computer for the price (since MS was selling them at a loss).  It was a great way to get a cheap second CPU.

As far as Linux on the new XBOX.  It'll probably happen.  There's an entire community of Linux nerds just waiting to get their hands on it and start porting code.  It will most likely be protected better than the first version, but that only makes it take longer, not impossible.  The XBOX 360 hardware is essentially just a beefed-up Apple PowerMac G5 with a Graphics card on steroids.  It's built using a 3-core PowerPC processor (all the Developer Kits for the XBOX -- what you use to program and test your game when you're building it before the unit itself is available -- are actually 2 PowerMac G5 workstations linked together).  I know it's weird, but this did put Microsoft in the strange position of handing out Apple computers to their deveopment partners.  ;D

There is already a version of Linux (Yellow Dog) that runs on Apple G5's, so it's not a huge stretch to assume that they'll be porting it to the 360.  The major obsticle will probably be dealing with the ATI graphics card component of the XBOX 360, which was built exclusively for the system and isn't extremely "PC-like".  I seriously doubt that this will be a major hurdle though.  ATI may not yet have any PC cards released that use similar technology, but they will, and when they do they'll release Linux and OSX drivers, and then the nerds will have the hooks they need (assuming they haven't already reverse engineered it anyway).

Of course, if you do it, you won't be able to access the XBOX live feature...

That's probably MS's biggest plan to protect the 360 from user-mods becoming mainstream.  Unlike the original, they are now giving away a stripped-down XBOX live subscription free with the unit.  They're hoping that people won't want to give up this feature to get some mods (which can potentially allow you to play illegitimate copies of games).  Of course, the "freebie" XBOX Live subscription won't let you play multiplayer games online (it will be used for auto-patching, chat, and a BBS/WebForum type system), so that value is debatable.  Either way, since installing Linux on the XBOX disables it's game playing capability by definition, I don't think this will be a major factor for the Linux-mod community to worry about.  It will just be a cool, cheap way to get what will be the most powerful Linux box you can buy (at least for a little bit -- PCs will catch up quickly).

As far as the PS3... The Cell processor architecture could actually make it take a bit longer for ports to come out.  However, the Cell is IBM's baby, and IBM is certainly Linux friendly (and currently developing a Cell-friendly version of Linux for their server business I'm sure).  Luckily, the rest of the PS3 is very PC-like, so shouldn't pose a signifigant engineering challenge.  Oh, and yes, the BluRay discs will be copy protected, but Sony has every intention of selling BluRay burners for the PC market (that's what the whole BluRay vs. HD DVD thing is about).  I wouldn't put a lot of faith in their copy protection scheme.  The one devised for DVDs worked so well after all.   :P

JONCAT

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 08:43:43 am »

bump for further review :)

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 02:10:34 pm »

Hi Y'all,

I haven't given up hope on a linux implementation, but I'm not sure I'm any closer than I was last time this topic came around. There are a lot of technical issues to cross before even considering the financial business issues.

j
and what about a mac os x version ?
Tamer

Pages: [1]   Go Up