INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 install problem  (Read 4264 times)

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
MC 11 install problem
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:29:26 am »

Hello,

I've been a user since Media Jukebox 8, but hadn't checked in here in a while.... today was the first I knew of the new version 11 beta, so I doanloaded it with the intention of purchasing the discounted upgrade from v10.

However, when I try to install, I get the following message windows, headed "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library."

"Runtime Error!
Program C:docum~1\......\InstallWizard.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Can anyone help me out with this?  (I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 w/ all updates, on a 2.4gHz P4 with 512mg RAM.

Thanks,
Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 11.0.198 Beta won't install
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 11:44:17 am »

Hello,

I've been a user since Media Jukebox 8, but hadn't checked in here in a while.... today was the first I knew of the new version 11 beta, so I doanloaded it with the intention of purchasing the discounted upgrade from v10.

However, when I try to install, I get the following message windows, headed "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library."

"Runtime Error!
Program C:docum~1\......\InstallWizard.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Can anyone help me out with this?  (I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 w/ all updates, on a 2.4gHz P4 with 512mg RAM.

Thanks,
Mark

It may be worth trying to download again.  Also, try disabling any software that hooks into every process like virus / spyware checkers -- sometimes they cause unexpected problems. (of course, MC contains no spyware or viruses)

If it still won't work, start a new thread and post your system info.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Media Center 11.0.198 Beta Available
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:09:54 pm »

Here is the error message I get when installing MC11 (the version currently available for download.)

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:docum~1\......\Temp\RarSFX40\InstallWizard.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

System info, culled from my working MC10 install:

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\
Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2421 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive M: MITSUMI CR-48XGTE         Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N: LITEON  DVD-ROM LTD163    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No

Burning /  Drive M: MITSUMI  CR-48XGTE          Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:54  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Appreciate your help... thanks,
-Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11 install problem
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:35 pm »

I don't know what it is, but there was a similar thread in the last two weeks.  You might try looking for it.  Try searching for "execution protection".

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 01:22:25 pm »

I _did_ try looking for it.  I couldn't find anything.  Thus, I posted here... where I thought I was supposed to seek support.  I'm surprised at a seemingly brush-off response coming from the developer/creator/owner.  I'm an accountant, not a programmer or computer tech, and I do not have the skills to fix a problem like this--I am simply a long-time paying customer.

I have disabled all other software, rebooted... I don't know what else to try.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:23:35 pm »

After I replied, I saw that you added a suggested search term. 

When I search "execution protection," the only thread that comes up is this one.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 01:58:36 pm »

It wasn't a brush off.  I don't know the answer, but I tried to give you a clue that might help.

So I found the thread here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25872.0

There was no solution.

The fact that two customers have seen this probably means that it is related to something specific with their systems and not with MC.  If it were MC's problem it's likely to be seen by many more.  It's always possible that it's our problem, but it is (in my view) unlikely.

So there is the sum total of what I know and I'm sorry I don't know more.

Your patience will be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 02:08:53 pm »

Did you use a download manager when you downloaded MC?  If so, try it again without it.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 02:22:05 pm »

No, it was a straight download from within Firefox.  I have a broadband connection, so no need for download managers. 

I've gone into task manager and disabled all unnecessary processes... tried installing it in safe mode... so I'm not sure what the conflict could be.

I read the thread you referred me to, Jim.  That was a Buffer Overrrun error, mine says Runtime Error (perhaps there's no difference, I don't know) though they're both related to the Visual C++ Runtime Library.   I'm at a loss.  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 02:24:23 pm »

Try disabling / uninstalling all security related software.  Pop-up blockers, etc.  Everything you can.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 02:26:52 pm »

Not only have I disabled everything, as I mentioned before, I've closed everything down in Task Manager... same problem...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 02:29:53 pm »

Disabling may not be enough.  You may need to uninstall.

Try this thread to see if you can find any more clues.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

Error messages are not always reliable.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 02:31:41 pm »

Also clean the temp directory above if you haven't.

And try installing the same file on another PC (as a test).

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 03:00:10 pm »

Uninstall...  The error happens as soon as I try to install..... I get the progress window, then the error message after a few seconds.  It doesn't even get to the point where I can agree with the license agreement or select the destination directory.
EDIT: I re-read your posts, and it seems like you're suggesting I begin uninstalling other software? (I initially thought you were saying to uninstall MC.)  I thought Safe Mode would eliminate any conflicts.  I will try this but I have a problem with having to un-install something like my Anti-virus to be able to use a Media Player.  I've been using your program for about two years now, and previous versions have worked fine with my other software... if there is suddenly a conflict now with MC11, it seems then that the problem is originating from somewhere in the MC11 install files and not with the other software.

Clearing the temp directory was the first thing I did.  The only thing in the temp directory after this happens are the files that MC11 puts there.

I've tried it in Safe Mode numerous times as well.  AFAIK, in safe mode, nothing is running outside of Windows' essential services.   Exact same error message shows up here as well.  I don't have a second system right now to try it on, or I would.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 04:44:28 pm »

There was a similar problem a few weeks ago with someone who could not install... the installer did not work for him (don't recall if he had the same error). I think that the poblem was solved unistalling some software (antispyware and antivirus if I recall correctly). 

Also, sometimes unzipping the install files in a windows folder using winzip or similar and then running the unzipped installer from the folder has been a solution for similar problems.

Will try a search and edit this post if I find the thread.

----
EDIT: This is the thread where unistalling certain software did the trick
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25910.0

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 04:53:09 pm »

Hey Deivit,

I found a thread that referenced a similar problem... he had Norton and Spygiant, uninstalled, and it worked.  I run ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5... tried uninstalling it, to no avail.  Here's the thread, if this is the one you're speaking of:

I even tried re-downloading the install files using IE instead of Firefox.  Same result.

I've used WINRAR to unzip the executable to install... the file InstallWizard.exe is continuing to cause the same problem.

EDIT: I see you found the same thread while I was posting, Deivit.  I've tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm.  No go.  The system keeps telling me that it doesn't like the way MC11 install is causing the Runtime library to terminate abnormally... I realize this is an extremely isolated incident, but everything I'm doing seems to point to a problem with the InstallWizard.exe file and the way it is trying to interface with my system.

Deivit

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 04:59:10 pm »

Hey Deivit,

I found a thread that referenced a similar problem... he had Norton and Spygiant, uninstalled, and it worked.  I run ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5... tried uninstalling it, to no avail.  Here's the thread, if this is the one you're speaking of:

Yes, it was.

Have you tried using IE, cleaning first your cache and temporary internet files, and downloading a different build (196 for instance)
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110196.exe

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 05:19:39 pm »

Thanks for the link, Deivit.  I didn't think to check for prior versions... I just tried it, and 110196 installs (and runs) perfectly fine.  And it does so with ZoneAlarm installed and working, and all my usual software running, as well.

Does that not mean that something in the install file for 110198 has changed and is causing a conflict here?

JimH-is this something you will be able to fix in future releases, or will I not be able to upgrade to MC11?

Launfal

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 05:47:41 pm »

I had the same results as markj.  Doing everything EXACTLY the same way, with EXACTLY the same system configuration, I was able to download and RUN 196, but NOT 198.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a system config, browser, hardware or installed software issue.  Something's broken with the 198 installer.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 06:05:45 pm »

Could you see if 11.0.199 installs?

Sorry for the hassles, and thanks for helping us find the fix.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Launfal

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 06:19:20 pm »

It sure does.  Whatever you did, it worked.  199 installs and runs like a champ.

Great job.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 06:20:06 pm »

We've added digital signing of builds in the last week.  I wonder if non-Microsoft browsers have trouble with it.

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 06:45:19 pm »

JimH- I had tried both Firefox and IE to download it, the behavior was the same... so I don't think the digital signature is the problem.

Matt- I saw your message and just downloaded 110199.  Removed 110196 & installed the new one... it installed fine--I started it up and it seems to work alright.   Strange, huh?  I was concerned that there was something changed that was going to prevent me from upgrading.

Thank you all for your help.  :)
-Mark

markj

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 06:46:33 pm »

Launfal-  I'm glad you got it working.  Though sorry for your trouble, I'm pleased that I wasn't the only one!  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 06:54:33 pm »

Good news, Mark.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 04:36:36 am »

I'm having the same error with 199
I'll try previous versions and see if that works

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 05:18:34 am »

162 installed OK and the 199 installed OK over the top

Deivit

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2005, 07:06:18 am »

Glad you finally found the clue, guys. Enjoy the music!   :)

----
Listening to: 'If Only for One Night' from 'Live 2003 At Radio City Music Hall' by 'Luther Vandross' on Media Center 11

cl2yp71c0v3n63nc3

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 11:50:20 am »

???Hi, I'm new to the forums and I seem to have the same problem as you guys, when i install it gives me that c++ error. I have tried disabaling my firewall/antivirus, running in safe mode, and emptying all my cache/temp. I run the newest media center 10 flawlessly, so if u have ny suggestions, PLZ POST

thx for your time

cl2yp71c0v3n63nc3

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 12:02:29 pm »

i've installed build 196 though, but 198 and 199 dont work

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 07:09:15 pm »

Build 201 fixed this problem.  It had to do with the new logging that was added a few builds ago.  The reason it was hard to find was that it worked on anything but a fresh install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up