INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.230 Beta Available  (Read 6880 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.230 Beta Available
« on: April 01, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your bug reports, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't fully support it.  If you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

For a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110230.exe

Please post bugs you're sure about here.  Anything else and especially anything that requires an answer should be posted in a new thread with a subject like "MC11 problem with ..." or "MC11 question about ....".    Feature requests should be postponed until we've finished 11.0.  Thanks.  -- JimH

Recent Changes
Encoder settings may need to be re-set:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=26527.0

11.0.230 (4/1/05)

1. Changed: Theater View now allows screen savers to run. (still disabled in Full Screen by design)
2. NEW: Thumbnails stored locally for greatly enhanced performance with Media Server and network libraries.
3. NEW: Missing thumbnails are built during import to improve browsing experience.
4. Changed: Import log now integrated into main program logging. (Help > Configure Debug Logging...)
5. Changed: Thumbnails no longer stored as jpeg files. (helps performance since some virus checkers scan jpg files)
6. Changed: When a file fails to thumbnail (video filters missing, etc.) MC will not reattempt to thumbnail the file.
7. Changed: Nomad and Dell plugins changed to only show errors at end of the transfer. No intermediate dialogues.
8. Changed: Portable device detection and interaction optimization and modification.
9. Added: Support for MTP portable devices.
10. Fixed: Video playback for PSP
11. Fixed: File conversion for portables.
12. Fixed: Combo-box dropdown size too small in APE, TiVo Server and UPnP Server options dialogs.
13. Changed: Removed non-functional "Skip files of same type" encoding option in Handheld Options dialog. It will be replaced later with working version.

11.0.228 (3/31/05)

1. Fixed: Shell integration would not work properly in some cases.
2. Fixed: On-screen-display would not properly handle mutliple line display strings.
3. Changed: Removed "Download more skins" from the skin choosing page of the installer.
4. Changed: TV uses unified OSD.
5. NEW: View headers use better art when the selected files don't have art.

11.0.226 (3/30/05)

1. Changed: Better handling of changing digital TV channels in quick succession.
2. Fixed: Incorrect message "TV tuner has been reset to default settings" after user has cancelled resetting.
3. NEW: Added option to start digital TV in time-shifting mode (default is ON).
4. Fixed: Playlist notes typed into view headers would not properly save when switching views.
5, Fixed: Small improvement to international character URL encoding.
6. Changed: TV fast forwarding or rewinding can go to higher speed.
7. Changed: When TV is in fast forward or rewind, clicking Play/Pause button will resume normal play (instead of pausing).
8. Changed: Clicking fast forward / rewind button when TV is already in maximum speed will not resume normal speed (it will remain at maximum speed).
9. Fixed: TV rewinding would not work if it was playing very close to live time.
10. Fixed: Library Server was getting the library to share name from the wrong place.
11. NEW: Improved option handling, includng auto-detection and by device name selection, for UPnP Server.
12. Changed: Added skinning engine support for Main.xml > Toolbars > Statusbar > TextAlignment.

MC 11 Improvements

CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Animated Direct3D file browsing
Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
Basic image editing
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
ATI HDTV card support
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 support
Audible.com Store -- new features
Sony PSP support
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lOth

Re: Media Center 11.0.230 Beta Available
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 04:53:43 pm »

all my toolbar shortcuts are gone after installing this version

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:16:29 pm »

all my toolbar shortcuts are gone after installing this version
It's a known problem.  You'll need to set them up again.  It shouldn't happen again after that.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:35:40 pm »

Theater mode:

Last level menu

Select single item

Play

Whole album plays, not single item.

Ya, Know

If you wanted to play entire album, you can do that on the level before.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 06:02:11 pm »

Theater mode:

Last level menu

Select single item

Play

Whole album plays, not single item.

Ya, Know

If you wanted to play entire album, you can do that on the level befor.

Griff, I've asked about this before and apparently this behaviour is by design. I find this very annoying myself also. You can fudge the behaviour you're wanting by choosing "Add" rather than "Play". You may need to start a new thread ?  
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 06:27:02 pm »

THEATER VIEW
============
1) Playing Now  - the track list doesn't scroll as the green arrow showing the currently playing track moves down, so the arrow vanishes when it gets further down the listing.

2) Green arrow takes a long time to update when jumping to another track

3) When using "Toggle Zone" a couple of things don't update correctly:

a) The title bar doesn't refresh until the cursor is moved.  I have used [Zone] in my title bar so I know which zone I am changing, when I press "Toggle Zone" this doesn't update until I press something else.

b) When in Playing Now view and you press "Toggle Zone" the information at the bottom updates, but the track listing doesn't update,  You have to press "Playing Now" to get the track list to update.  Both should update together.

VIEW SCHEME USING AN EXPRESSION
============================
Semicolon Delimited Library Fields are not being handled correctly when used in a View Scheme Expression.

I have created a Library Field (List, semicolon delimited) called Artists

I have created the following expression in a view scheme

If(IsEqual([Artists],, 1), AlbumArtist(), [Artists])

This is outputting  "artist1;artist2", so the [Artists] librbary field isn't being treated as a list.

So I get something like:

(multiple artists)
Abba
ACDC
Sting
Tommy;James Morrison
Vince Jones

Instead of;
(multiple artists)
Abba
ACDC
James Morrison
Sting
Tommy
Vince Jones

CD RIPPING
========
Progress bar only works for 1st track and then stays at 100% for remaining tracks

Regards
Richard

NumberEleventeen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 09:54:17 pm »

Minor annoyance:
With the general - update tags when files info changes option off.. You can't rightclick and force a tag update when you want.. So you have to turn it on, do it, turn it off, each time.

I leave it off because one time I made some changes and media center updated all of my library.. Thats ok, but it sets all the files modified/created date to today.. I like to see when they were created.. Now there all 2005...
So I unset it to stop that in the future.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 10:03:26 pm »

Hi guys,

With 220 and newer I'm getting very weird behavior with the handheld plugin.  WMDM stuff works fine, but if I manually "configure remote and fixed drives", all hell breaks loose:

- I add "test1" and it seems to work
- I add "test2" and test1 appears twice
- I remove one of the test1's and now they both appear twice or more

The duplicates are both in the action window and in the drop-down within the Options/Handheld box.  I hunted through the registry to see if there were duplicate device entries but MC's reg entries show the devices only one time each.

Hope this helps!  BTW, please bring the "don't encode same format" option soon.  I liked it.  :)

-Doug

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 06:02:19 am »

2. NEW: Thumbnails stored locally for greatly enhanced performance with Media Server and network libraries.

This is great but it after importing about 25k audio files from a server in 7 minutes, it takes about 2h to import the thumbnails. Any way to speed this up? ?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 07:21:24 am »

This is great but it after importing about 25k audio files from a server in 7 minutes, it takes about 2h to import the thumbnails. Any way to speed this up? ?

Also, the directory the thumbnails is named much differently than it used to be.
{ECF2D3C...} is the directory name here.

No biggie, but I wonder if it was intentional or accidental? Could cause upgrade or uninstall problems if unintentional.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 07:26:51 am »

It's rebuilding the thumbnails and this only happens once.  See Matt's notes about changes above.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 07:31:31 am »

Many album tag fiields were erased.  Sot sure why.  I did update library from tags however.
Tags for album may have been missing in some of the files.  Update the library now and then do the reverse update.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 07:33:19 am »

Please start new threads on anything that requires discussion.  I'm going to delete some of these posts later.

We're looking for major bugs now, not minor problems.  We'll get back to minor problems later.

Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 03:28:05 pm »

someone was having a problem importing

This may fix another problem i read once about importing

it seems txt files, maybe others will not import if "Ignore small files" is checked, as per the check box this should only effect audio files.

i would think this would be an easy fix
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 03:36:41 pm »

when i change a tag for a text file it takes 28 seconds for MC to complete the change.

since it is a text file, and there is nothing to change in the file, what is MC11 doing for 28 seconds?

seems like a long time to change something
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dragyn

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 08:54:19 am »

Track Info pages sometimes don't load (all of them). It's like it only does it when it wants. Switching from a visualization to a track info sometimes works.

Also, when playing a song (Playing Now) and if a Track Info is displayed, it will lose focus in Playing Now (it's focused on track info).

Media Center Registered 11.0.230 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2002 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 596 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: TEAC     CD-W54E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 09:03:43 am »

I probably missed some option somewhere but while I was waiting for tagging updates to finish, I was watching the status line at the bottom of the program that shows how many files are selected and how many files remaining to update. Sometime during that updating (I didn't watch forever as the updating got slow), the status line disappears at the bottom. The horizontal scroll bar is then at the bottom. I'm running in maximized mode and the only way I found to bring it back is to minimize and then maximize again.
Jeff

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Omnes Vulnerant, Ultima Necat
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 10:44:57 am »

"Build missing thumbnails" is missing in options dialog box.
I hope it is temporary, because it is very, very, very annoying to see missing thumbnails being made when you have a big library.

Please put it back...

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 02:22:27 pm »

"Build missing thumbnails" is missing in options dialog box.
I hope it is temporary, because it is very, very, very annoying to see missing thumbnails being made when you have a big library.

Please put it back...

Go to the Import Media dialog, even though you dont want to import media, that is where the function is.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2005, 02:47:14 pm »

Rip progress bar still misbehaves when ripping an entire CD.  It fills up with the first track and stays full for every subsequent track.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 06:15:32 pm »

I was having the issue where my *.txt files were not being imported (generic failed to import message).  These are mainly files with info about live music recordings obtained from Furthur.net.  Following the post King made above about small files (should be audio/video only that are ignored) I disabled the Ignore Small Files option and ran an import.

During the import, MC found over 5000 external changes to audio files that had, in fact, no changes at all to them.  It then proceeded to hang at about 90%.  I forced MC to close and re-ran the import.  This time, it found the same number of files with external changes, but did not crash.

Just to be clear, prior to disabling Ignore Small Files, I had run an import and it found no issues with any of my audio files.  After disabling Ignore Small Files, it "found" over 5000 external changes - none of the files it claimed had external changes were considered "small" by MC before.  No other changes occured between these two import runs.

Clear as mud?  :)

godavego

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2005, 07:40:56 pm »

Using the UPnP plug-in with a Roku M500, I still get timeouts when trying to browse artists, albums, or long playlists.  This makes it unuable for me.  I have about 650 CDs.

It's difficult to select all the way to a specific song before being able to press play.  I don't have this issue with either MS WMC or iTunes. 

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 04:16:56 am »

Issues:

1. DVDs without a main menu (e.g. just one title that starts automatically) cause MC to lock up. These same DVDs play without any problem using Power DVD and stand alone DVD players.

2. DVDs don’t show up in the media library. They show up and can be played from Drives and Devices, but can’t be imported. For example I can playthe VTS_01_1 file from drives and devices and even change the “Name” and Genre” fields, but when I select import into library the file doesn’t import. No error, it just doesn’t show up in the Media Library section of the tree.

3. Can’t play a DVD from a network share. The same DVD plays fine from a local hard drive.

4. There is no ability to access common DVD commands (e.g. menu, change audio track, subtitles, etc.) by keypresses (or any other means that would allow a remote control to be used to while playing a DVD).  Without this, DVDs are not playable (for any practical purposes) in Theaterview.

5. DVD playback automatically resumes at last location. Although this is an improvement over putting up a normal dialog box to ask, this is problematic behavior for two reasons: (i) in Theaterview there still appears to be no way to easily get to the DVD main menu using a remote (see #3), and (ii) is selecting from a library of ripped DVDs (which is problematic now, see #1 and #2) there should be a way to have the default behavior be to play from the start. Preferably after selecting the file in Theaterview, a user could be presented with Theaterview style popup menu (e.g., much like the choice to open, play, add, select after selecting a music album) allowing the choice to start from the beginning or the last location.

6. Bitrate field for all MPEG video files is shown as some large number that bears no correspondence to the actual bitrate.

7. When moving photos to another location within “Drives and Devices” the photos are moved, but often the view of the folder the files were moved from is not updated properly (e.g. some of the moved files are still shown, but with an X through the thumbnail showing that the underlying file is no longer present). This occurs when moving files between network shares (where I keep my photos). I think all that should be necessary to fix this problem would be doing a refresh when the move is complete. This problem got much better with build 230, so only occassionally will this happened and with only one file still being shown with an X though it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 06:53:02 am »

gpvillamil, Marko, and LisaCRT --

Your posts were moved to separate threads.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 03:51:59 pm »

Jim,
last week I mentioned 'the single search option in multiple views' in a seperate thread:
(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26772.msg185750#msg185750).

Although not a real bug, it is a clear handicap.

Could you please tell me if you guys think of fixing this?

Peter
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 04:34:53 pm »

last week I mentioned 'the single search option in multiple views' in a seperate thread:
(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26772.msg185750#msg185750).

Although not a real bug, it is a clear handicap.
Not at this time.

edbro

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 05:39:41 pm »

MC11 still has "Plus Features" listed as a menu option. I believe this is a carryover from MC10 that was never implemented?
Pages: [1]   Go Up