INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Questions (Old and New Files)  (Read 1747 times)

bbuckeye

• Recent member
Library Questions (Old and New Files)
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:16:41 am »

Can anyone explain how to get rid of old library entries?  For example, I delete a folder called "Downloads" from my hard drive.  On file import MC picks it up.  Then once I do a library update it checks and realizes this is no longer there and removes it from the library.  I have to do this each time I import.

Somehow, this info is being stored on the local harddrive that the library references so when I import on a brand new computer with a clean install of MC is still references files from ages ago.  Is MC referencing an existing library file?  If so, where is this file stored?  I figure it's gotta be somewhere on the dedicated networked harddrive that all my music is on because every computer I use MC it references this old info even if MC was installed much later.

I've tried creating a new library and reimporting to no avail, it still references old folders that aren't there.

This is getting very frustrating because now it's eliminating some files on "update" that I know are there and want to keep.  It's done this since the begining of time (v7.0) and I've just now got mad enough to figure out what it is.. lol..

Maybe someone can help me, if I've not been clear please ask questions below.  You'll all be doing me a big solid and you'll keep the vein in my forehead from bursting. 

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Questions (Old and New Files)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:47:57 pm »

You could try deleting the file(s) from My Computer inside MC. Then backup the library, then use that new backup to restore the library on the other computers.

Do you empty the recycle bin after deleting?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 06:48:31 pm »

yes, the recycle bin has been cleared.  Again, it's obviously a file somewhere that references old library files.  Does media jukebox leave a file somewhere that lists all old files?  Otherwise, why would a brand new computer with a fresh install of MC reference files that haven't been there for 2 years?

There's gotta be one I figure.. the new computer can't magically know what music files used to exist.  Maybe one of the JRiver people can help me.. I'm really frustrated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 07:05:43 pm »

There aren't many possibilities.

Your database (library) is corrupt.

You're importing from a different location than you expect.

Playlists that point to deleted files?

Drive mapping?

If you're really removing files from Windows Explorer and you then find the same files in the same locations when you re-import, there is a problem.

More precise information (including examples of drives and directories) might help someone see the problem.

Also a description of the network, the PC's, and how they are sharing could help.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 09:21:58 pm »

Good stuff!  Yes.. the playlists were referencing songs I no longer had, or had changed the file names of, in the library.  AFter removing them, creating a new library, then reimporting the songs I was complaining about are gone!  Wahoo!

I'm on a roll now, maybe this question can be answered too.

Let's say I have a folder on my harddrive called Ken Burns Jazz Vol 1 and there are 10 songs with a variety of artists in the folder.  Each individual tag has the artist name, album name, etc correctly indicated.  (example Stardust - Louis Armstrong) When looking under audio in the artist/album tree, why would this show under various artists rather than the Louis Armstrong tree?  It only seems to happen with albums (Folders) that have mutiple artists.    Is this just the way MC handles these or is there some setting I'm not aware of?  It does list it correctly under the disk location section.

Brutibuckeye

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 11:33:01 pm »

Let's say I have a folder on my harddrive called Ken Burns Jazz Vol 1 and there are 10 songs with a variety of artists in the folder.  Each individual tag has the artist name, album name, etc correctly indicated.  (example Stardust - Louis Armstrong) When looking under audio in the artist/album tree, why would this show under various artists rather than the Louis Armstrong tree?  It only seems to happen with albums (Folders) that have mutiple artists.    Is this just the way MC handles these or is there some setting I'm not aware of?  It does list it correctly under the disk location section.

Brutibuckeye

I don't understand why there is a Various Artists item at all in the Artist/Album tree. I'm using v10 mind. Have they made a change in v11 ?

In your case Ken burns would be the Album Artist, If you use Album Artist (Auto) in your view scehem then your album would be listed under Multiple Artists. I usually select all files in the album and enter the Album Artist (in this case Ken Burns) to get rid of the Multiple Artist(s) item.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:47:58 pm »

It's MC10.. hmm.. ya that would work, because they'd all be the same.. but I really hate that the artist portion of this doesn't work on these albums with multiple artists.. I actually mispoke in my previous post.  These songs show up under the album/artist tree as (Multiple Artists) under the Audio, then Album/Artist tree.

Ideally, if I have Louis Armstrong songs scattered out among several albums, I'd like to have the option of going to Louis Armstrong and seeing all the songs regardless of album.  Maybe MC 10 just won't do it.

Thanks for helping out!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 05:08:51 am »

It's MC10.. hmm.. ya that would work, because they'd all be the same.. but I really hate that the artist portion of this doesn't work on these albums with multiple artists.. I actually mispoke in my previous post.  These songs show up under the album/artist tree as (Multiple Artists) under the Audio, then Album/Artist tree.

Ideally, if I have Louis Armstrong songs scattered out among several albums, I'd like to have the option of going to Louis Armstrong and seeing all the songs regardless of album.  Maybe MC 10 just won't do it.

Thanks for helping out!

If i wanted to see all tracks by an artist , i usually right-click on a track->Locate->Artist

Usually its faster to do that then
-click a view scheme,
-wait for it to load the library
-scroll to where the artist is ;)

Otherwise there is a default viewscheme called Artist/Album and usually all tracks by an artist are shown if you select one. I don't understand why this does not work for you ?

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 01:14:08 pm »

Well I figured it out, MC 10 is pretty nice.  You can create any lookup you want in standard view. (I'm talking about the trees on the left hand side of the screen)

The Album/Artist default lookup doesn't put albums that have mutiple artists under each artists name.  It puts these albums under a mutiple artist catagory.  If you want to see all the albums by a certain artist no matter if other artists have songs on that same album, just create a new tree by right clicking on "media library" and choosing "new scheme".  Then just add artist and then album underneath it!  Thanks to all who helped with my questions.. I figure MC does alot more than I realize so I'm going to play with it more before asking dumb questions.

brutibuckeye
Pages: [1]   Go Up