INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "send to... ftp" - html photo albums  (Read 1537 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"send to... ftp" - html photo albums
« on: April 19, 2005, 03:26:28 pm »

I've been messing with this recently and as a quick and simple way to get some pics online I quite like it.

Some questions...

Is it possible to get MC to remember the ftp login password?
where does it pull the thumbnail settings from? I had a look under the tools 'image options' buttons but don't see any thumbnail options there. Mine are going up a little on the large side atm.

Is there any way to get MC to create and manage some kind of album index page? You know what I mean? Say I uploaded several different events into a photos/[events] directory, MC would place an index file inside /photos/ that contained links to each /[event].

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "send to... ftp" - passwords & thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:42:16 pm »

It won't remember the password currently.  I have mixed feelings about adding it.  We may.

I assume you mean the web upload feature (under right click/send to), which also includes the FTP upload.

I think the thumbnails built are whatever you've chosen for MC, but I'm not at all sure.  Mine are named something like Thumb_Medium_DSC0023.JPG.

It would be nice to have a managing index.  What I do is build that one by hand.

I use a directory structure that looks like this (on UNIX):
public_html has the main index.html

below that are years and in these directories are the index.html files for each year:
public_html/2005
public_html/2004
public_html/2002

example: 
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2005/

When I upload, I use a new directory under the year:
public_html/2005/Pikestreet/index.html

In MC, this looks like this
Address:  [machine name]/~jriver/public_html/2005
Path: /pikestreet

The page looks like this:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2005

I'd like to overhaul this area to make it easier to use and more powerful, but we've got a long list.

There are more instructions in the FAQ near the top of this board if anyone else wants to explore this.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:07:59 am »

ok, I give up...

Jim, in your examples above, you have neat thumbnails (96 x 96 ?) that link to the 640 x 480 images.

here's what I'm getting....

edit: see new links below

or

edit: see new links below

In the final try ( testing5 ) I wondered if MC was using a percentage of the original to make the thumbnail, so resized these to 640 x 480 prior to uploading, then tried again (on the 640 x 480 images) but asked MC to resize to 320 x 240. This produced thumbs pretty much the same size as the linked-to images.

What do you think is causing my thumbnails to be so large?

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:15:06 am »

Marko,
This was changed in the last few days when we switched how we do thumbnails.  We'll fix it.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 04:50:19 pm »

Tonight's build has the following changes:

1.  If a directory doesn't exist, it will be created it without asking.

2.  If a new directory is two levels deep both will be created.

3.  Fix for a problem when you put Address and Path together.  ....  strip the trailing slash after Address, the leading and trailing slash on Path, and insert a / when the string is put back together.

Marko,
I tried to get a thumbnail size option for this but we crossed our wires.  Next week we'll get it.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 04:44:44 am »

nice.
really needs that thumbnail option though, glad to hear it's on it's way.

I'm not sure about path creation. do different servers handle this differently? I can't get MC to create 2 folders.

In fact the only way I can get MC to do the upload is to use the full path in the address bar and a single forward-slash in the path field. Aynthing else gives an unable to create directory error. A couple of times MC whizzed through the task (way too fast) then reported upload success, but nothing had been uploaded (yes, I refreshed ;))
My http root is /httpdocs/ and MC will only create /1/, not /1/2/.

btw, while you're messing about in this area, how about putting an "open in browser" button/checkbox on the success dialogue that would load the page in the default system internet browser?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: "send to... ftp" - html photo albums
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:22:25 am »

well, with the nod from Jim in another thread that thumbnails were working again, I had another run at this.

Under image options, I chose a custom size of 800x600 (keep aspect ratio) but MC didn't do it and upped the full size images instead. Choosing the 640 x 480 preset worked.

Nowhere to add a caption to the image? If there is I missed it and need guidance.

Internal thumbnail captions don't appear to support expressions which is a shame.
Will ramble on some more later probably.
I would be really keen to see some work on this image stuff in the near future. For now though, still a bit rough around the edges for me.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: "send to... ftp" - html photo albums
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 06:27:15 am »

Noted.  Thanks for the feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up