INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64 bit & MC  (Read 6323 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
64 bit & MC
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:27:28 pm »

Whats better the intel pentium 500 series or 600 series?  The 600 offers 64 bit processing.  Will MC in the near future take adavantage of this with windows xp 64?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: 64 bit & MC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:37:30 am »

The 600 series is more expensive, and there's nothing really to gain from it yet. In my opinion the 64 bit is a hype more than anything right now. A media computer is rather dependent on stability, and XP 64 isn't ready for prime time by a longshot. Next year this time it may be, but then why buy hardware for something that may be ready next year?  ;) I doubt that MC will be converted to 64 bit for quite some time, and anyway I can't really see any advantages in day to day use. Perhaps in extreme tagging sessions or something, but then again that's just as dependant on the harddrives.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:48:11 am »

windows 95 ran both 16 and 32 bit programs, it was also slow

I would think that windows 64 would run both 32 and 64 bit programs
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:17:53 am »

Of course it will. But he asked if MC will take advantage of 64 bit, and that I very much doubt.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 08:37:24 am »

There currently isn't a 64-bit compile of Media Center.

It's on our radar to make, but probably won't happen until 64-bit computing is a bit more stabilized.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 06:37:05 pm »

if your going to go for 64 bit, the path is AMD I'm telling you.  They've been doing x86-64 for quite a bit longer now, their processors are cheaper, and they're faster.

I haven't seen any flamefests on these forums (good thing) so sorry if I'm starting one  :-\
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

glynor

• MC Beta Team
64 Bit & MC
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 09:56:06 pm »

I've got to agree that AMD has the better desktop and workstation product right now.  Intel's Netburst architecture (the Prescott P4 and now the dual core derivatives) has been little more than a terrible blunder. The new dual-core "war" only deepens their problems, as AMD's architecture was designed for dual core from the outset, and really "spanks" the dual-core pentium even in areas where the Prescott once dominated.

Intel's major strength (other than the mobile market -- the Pentium M is another story entirely) now is their industrial power.  Their product is inferior, but they can produce them at a much faster rate and can sell them for cheaper.  It is funny how the tables have turned, but Intel is now pushing a lower-cost, but lower-performing, processor to AMD's superior but more-expensive rival.

X86-64 is really mostly just hype from both Intel and AMD at this moment, though that could change.  The Athlon64's superiority to the Prescott has little (or nothing in the Windows world thus far) to do with the fact that it is 64-bit capable.  Windows XP-64 is just now coming out, and is certainly not perfect (I'd wait for the driver situation to get sorted out at least)...

That being said, a multimedia database program (like MC) is one of the types of Applications that could conceivably be helped by 64-bit computing.  Actually, multimedia in general is the main "consumer" application that 64-bit is "targeted" for ... 64-bit Word isn't going to be that much better than 32-bit, but a machine addressing 9 GB of RAM will help an Avid workstation.  I would probably check out the variety of product reviews available online (with a grain of salt) and wait and consider carefully.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
Re: 64 Bit & MC
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 10:02:57 pm »

I've got to agree that AMD has the better desktop and workstation product right now. 
In the server arena, for Linux AM64/EMT64 far outperforms any of the 32-bit only platforms.  There aren't significant differences in performance between the x86 32/64 native cpus and the 64-bit only Itanium, but the Itanium is far more expensive and takes a serious performance hit with 32-bit emulation.

Intel's Nacona (EMT64) is in fact AM64 technology licensed from AMD.  Intel will no longer produce 32-bit CPUs and the Itanium really had no chance of competing against AMD's AM64 platforms so the EMT64 was Intel's only chance at maintaining competitiveness

Intel's Netburst architecture (the Prescott P4 and now the dual core derivatives) has been little more than a terrible blunder. The new dual-core "war" only deepens their problems, as AMD's architecture was designed for dual core from the outset, and really "spanks" the dual-core pentium even in areas where the Prescott once dominated.
There is nothing about the P4 or the Itanium or Xeon versions that contradicts dual-core technology.  There is nothing about the Opteron that is specifically intended for dual-core.  Intel and AMD are equal players here, though AMD will be the first with a manufactured product.  There are no dual-core pentiums and the next generation Naconas will be the first dual-core technology from Intel.

Sun has had dual-core technology in production for over a year now and has had 64-bit CPUs for over 5 years.  Let's also not forget the Power5 and the OpenPower CPUs.

AMD has the advantage in the 64-bit market (Opteron is far ahead of Nacona and offers native 32-bt support that the Itanium does not), price (though Nacona-based systems look to be competitive to Opteron), and in > dual cpu systems.  Intel's architecture is optimized for dual-cpu while AMD theoretically is not limited.  Multi-core CPUs are equal across vendors currently.

The maximum cpu-count currently for Intel-based platforms is 4.  There are 8-cpu Opteron-based platforms that have been announced and 8 cpu/16 core AMD-based platforms are expected to be announced soon.

Their product is inferior, but they can produce them at a much faster rate and can sell them for cheaper
Only if you want to compare 32-bit platforms.  Once you enter 32/64-bit CPUs AMD currently has the advantage.  Itanium does not appear to be a strategic direction and is an order of magnitude more expensive than a similar-performing AM64/EMT64-based system.  AMD appears to be able to manufacture Opertons faster than Intel is able to manufacture Naconas.
X86-64 is really mostly just hype from both Intel and AMD at this moment, though that could change.
This only applies for 32-bit OSs, such as windows.  Enter the world of 64-bit OSs such as Linux or Sun's Solaris 10 and the AM64/EMT64 based platforms outperform even higher-clocked 32-bit platforms.

You must have a 64-bit OS to leverage a 64-bit CPU.  Running the standard Win2K, WinXP, or Win2K3 will show little if any advantage on 64-bit CPUs.

I agree that for a desktop market 64-bit does not have much advantage currently but in the server market 64-bit has significant advantage.

Finally - it is important to remember the difference between multi-core/single "socket" and single-core/multi "socket" (dual-core vs dual-cpu).  It is also critical to remember that Intel's Hyperthreading is not dual-core techology but rather allows independent use of math units within a given CPU.  Years after its release Hyperthreading has proven to be little more than market-hype.  Intel would have done better developing true multi-core CPUs.  Intel is still a (the?) leader in caching and branch prediction, which is where their CPUs have gained the largest advantage previously.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:25:16 pm »

There is nothing about the P4 or the Itanium or Xeon versions that contradicts dual-core technology.  There is nothing about the Opteron that is specifically intended for dual-core.

This is not really true.  AMD's integrated memory controller provides it's architechture signifigant advantages in dual-core mode.  Namely, the cores can communicate directly, which means that it can more accurately divide the threads between the cores (and in theory it will be able to share and manage the cache between the processors where Intel's system is segregated cache).  Intel's cores are forced to communicate across the front side bus, and encur signifigant latencies for this.
Sun has had dual-core technology in production for over a year now and has had 64-bit CPUs for over 5 years.  Let's also not forget the Power5 and the OpenPower CPUs.

Technically true, though true consumer-level (GUI based) 64-bit OS's are only now becoming available.  Though Sun and Linux have support in the Kernel (and Apple has as well) for 64-bit, most user-level interfaces do not.  Pre-Tiger OSX is almost completely 32-bit.  Windows64 isn't really even available yet.

AMD has the advantage in the 64-bit market (Opteron is far ahead of Nacona and offers native 32-bt support that the Itanium does not), price (though Nacona-based systems look to be competitive to Opteron), and in > dual cpu systems.   Intel's architecture is optimized for dual-cpu while AMD theoretically is not limited.  Multi-core CPUs are equal across vendors currently.

Not accurate at all ... AMD's dual-core processors cost signifigantly more than Intel's and but are far better optimized.  The performance between the two methods is not even remotely similar..

Intel was forced to use cached branch prediction because they extended the pipeline so much that their performance would have been dismal otherwize (all in the persuit of GHz).  The P3 was a FAR superior platform, as is born out by the fact that the Pentium M (P3 based) is the future of the architecture (according to their roadmaps).  Netburst (and high-latency, branch-predicted pipelines) have been abandoned.  This is what I meant by their failure...

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 12:14:23 pm »

You guys stepped out side recently?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 01:27:48 pm »

Yes, of course! I've been to the Promixis board and AVS Forum board.  ;D

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 01:28:37 pm »

Lol ;-)

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:05 pm »

I don't step outside.  There's weather out there.  Here all I have to worry about is the internet, which is like the real world but without any of the nasty stuff.  Like weather.  Sunshine?  ewww.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 02:17:03 pm »

Ah but lets face it computers are getting to the point where they are producing almost as much heat as the sun, causing localised weather systems and personal cloud systems, and the bugs online are often bigger than the ones outside and much more scarey.
Also theres dodgy people that hang around in advocacy groups, and no matter what your using they'll use it as a reason to attack you....
neh i reckon theres no where safe really!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 05:00:13 pm »

AIX has been 64 bit capable for quite a long time as well. The server running this forum has dual 64 bit processors and was introduced in June 2000. Most applications are not using 64 bit capabilities, Oracle is one notable exception.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 06:59:33 pm »

I live in Maine, and it's May, so it's raining ... every day ... and cold.   :'(

So, no.  Alas, we do make up for the horrible weather here for the other 9 months during July, August, and September ... It just doesn't seem like it right now.  Oh well, soon enough I will have no idea what is going on in the online world...   :D

In other news, AMD just officially "pre-launched" (whatever that means) their Athlon64 X2 (dual core) processor, and there are reviews of it everywhere today.

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 01:42:01 am »

This is not really true.  AMD's integrated memory controller provides it's architechture signifigant advantages in dual-core mode.  Namely, the cores can communicate directly, which means that it can more accurately divide the threads between the cores (and in theory it will be able to share and manage the cache between the processors where Intel's system is segregated cache).  Intel's cores are forced to communicate across the front side bus, and encur signifigant latencies for this.
Are you sure you're not confusing dual-core and dual-die?

The CPUs/cores don't have any control over what gets run on them - this is the job of the scheduler in the OS.  You lost me on the "cores can communicate directly" comment.

We're discussing multi-core and not Intel's ubermarketing gimic known as Hypterthreading.  The OS handles scheduling - if you tried to run DOS on a single-core and a dual-core you'd notice absolutely NO difference since only a single core would be used.
Technically true, though true consumer-level (GUI based) 64-bit OS's are only now becoming available.  Though Sun and Linux have support in the Kernel (and Apple has as well) for 64-bit, most user-level interfaces do not. 
"User interfaces" really won't benefit from 64-bit processing - at least not currently.  Applications would and there are some that do support it (CAD/CAM/CAE systems, databases).

Perhaps the difference is the target platforms we're discussing.  You bring up Tiger and Windows - both are desktop environments.  I'm refering to commercially-targeted OSs such as HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, and Linux.  The first three have had 64-bit support for many years.  Even Linux has had 64 bit support for a few.  All have proven, significant benefits over 32-bit operation.

Not accurate at all ... AMD's dual-core processors cost signifigantly more than Intel's and but are far better optimized.  The performance between the two methods is not even remotely similar..
That link just brings me to the Anandtech search page.  I don't take Anandtech as gospel anyway, especially given my current employer has over 300,000 x86 desktops (plus a sizeable server base) and we have regular meetings with executive management of both AMD and Intel in addition to four different system vendors that manufacture products around their CPUs.  A previous "employer" was in fact one of those vendors which was even more enlightening.  AMD is indeed lower-cost than Intel.  If Intel could actually get all their dies out-the-door instead of being left "on the floor" this might be a different story. . .
Intel was forced to use cached branch prediction
"cached branch prediction"?
Branch prediction is cpu logic used in loading the prefetch queue.  While prefetching does have an impact on L1 cache (implying L2, and now L3 as well) the invalidation of the prefetch when an incorrect guess is made is where the most significant performance hit is taken.  Yes, deeper pipelines are affected more.  As for effect on cache. . .what would you do if you didn't prefetch and jumped to another region of memory?  My guess is the same thing as an incorrectly guessed prefetch except you'd be doing it more often.

Instruction prefetching and (and consequently branch prediction) is something every cpu manufacturer uses.  Cacheing is another technology every manufacturer uses for a completely different purpose.

The P3 was a FAR superior platform, as is born out by the fact that the Pentium M (P3 based) is the future of the architecture (according to their roadmaps). 
Over a decade ago the i860 would have outperformed a current-day P3 at the same clock speed.  Unfortunately it was such a complicated CPU (Some instructions had over 64 different combinations of addressing modes)  that it never had a chance for success.  Some of the technology used there has been reborn in both current AMD and Intel processors.

The i860 had a very deep pipeline (20 stages, IIRC, but don't quote me) and an equally large register set (16 GP input, 16 GP output, and another 16 "shared" input/ouput).  Invalidating the prefetch could have a very serious hit but given the typical applications this was not "common".

64 bit CPUs and 64 bit processing is not marketing hype.  They have both been around for quite some time and have proven performance benefits.  For the desktop market, though, there hasn't been the need and arguably there still isn't.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 02:42:14 am »

For the desktop market, though, there hasn't been the need and arguably there still isn't.

I think that should be "consumer market".

Our industry (oil exploration) deals with GB/TB/PTs of data.   Having 64 bit windows now means that our users can process shedloads more data interactively.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 12:46:21 pm »

Trouble is.... people buy it all.....
and are convinced that a 64bit 3400 will make there
life 200% better than a 32bit 3200 (or whatever)
When in five years (Subject to moore's law not totally disintegrating) looking back the difference will be so negligible you wouldn't notice it if you had the two in front of you....

If you went back to a Pentium 90 vs a Pentium 100 would you notice it?
MMX 200  vs non MMX
K62 vs a K63?
Pentium 3 800 vs Pentium IV 1.0Ghz?

Any way I'm hoping that at the current rate by the time I want
to replace this thing, I'll be able to pick up a 10Ghz for the price of a Video player down Sainsburys.  :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 01:52:13 pm »

If you went back to a Pentium 90 vs a Pentium 100 would you notice it?
MMX 200  vs non MMX
Actually MC will run on a Pentium 200 MMX (I've done it recently) and NOT a Pentium non-MMX

;)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 02:45:25 pm »

lol

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 03:53:41 pm »

First of all, I must admit that when I last replied to you Shady, I had just escorted out the last guest from a little house party where we killed off all but one bottle from a case of wine.  Therefore, not everything I said may have been well-reasoned or defended (not to mention that my links didn't work).  Secondly, I'm not going to address each of your points because 1) I think the points have been made sufficiently already, 2) we mostly agree, and 3) I already wrote up this reply once and had FireFox crash on me (proving once again that even with a swanky new 64-bit capable PowerMac G5 bad things still happen).

Are you sure you're not confusing dual-core and dual-die?

The CPUs/cores don't have any control over what gets run on them - this is the job of the scheduler in the OS.  You lost me on the "cores can communicate directly" comment.

While I agree and certainly do not take everything Anandtech says for gospel, I have read these statements over and over again in a variety of places.  For example in the Anandtech article I was originally trying to link:

Even Intel will admit that the architecture of the Pentium D is not the most desirable as is two Pentium 4 cores literally glued together.  The two cores can barely be managed independently from a power consumption standpoint (they still share the same voltage and must run in the same power state) and all communication between cores must go over the external FSB...Any communication between the two cores has to be done over the external FSB, and obviously, core-to-core communication over an external bus is slow.  It particularly doesn't make sense, since the two cores are on the same die.  Even the 65nm successor to the Pentium D (Presler) will have this same limitation.

If you don't like Anand, there are plenty of other articles out there.  Here's one for example, and here's another.  This could certainly be a case of all the reviewer's copycatting, but I've seen no evidence and their explanations make sense.

Perhaps the difference is the target platforms we're discussing.  You bring up Tiger and Windows - both are desktop environments.  I'm refering to commercially-targeted OSs such as HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, and Linux.  The first three have had 64-bit support for many years.  Even Linux has had 64 bit support for a few.

Absolutely!  And I suspect that this gets right to the crux of our "disagreement".  I re-read my original post, and I could have certainly made it more clear, but... I was never intending to discuss the server market (or even really the workstation market)!  When I said that x86-64 was mostly hype, I was speaking regarding consumer-level (meaning "average joe" computer user not corporate consumers).  Notice, I said x86-64 not 64-bit.  Linux excluded, it mostly is.  So far.  Though probably not for long.

The i860 had a very deep pipeline (20 stages, IIRC, but don't quote me) and an equally large register set (16 GP input, 16 GP output, and another 16 "shared" input/ouput).  Invalidating the prefetch could have a very serious hit but given the typical applications this was not "common".

Yep.  And the Prescott pipeline was extended to 31 stages.  You may disagree, but I (and many, many others) strongly disagreed with Intel on what were "common" typical applications.  The method did have some advantages, but mostly (IMHO) it allowed them to continually ramp-up clock speeds and perpetuate the "GHz myth".  An equally-clocked P3 would signifigantly outperform an equally-clocked Prescott (assuming that you could somehow super-cool it enough to run at super-high speeds, which you probably couldn't).

There are a few other little things that I would bring up had FireFox not crashed (I'm now out of time) regarding the various things mentioned, though it's fairly irrelevant (particularly for this forum).  Alas, I am out of time.

64 bit CPUs and 64 bit processing is not marketing hype.  They have both been around for quite some time and have proven performance benefits.  For the desktop market, though, there hasn't been the need and arguably there still isn't.

THAT was precisely my point!  As I said, I think we are disagreeing to agree.  And either way, my other point is that finally this is (slowly) beginning to change.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 03:56:59 pm »

How does a guy get invited to one of your house parties?  ;)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 04:33:34 pm »

How does a guy get invited to one of your house parties?  ;)

From what I've heard you've first got to answer a 100 page
test.
A 90% passgrade is a must with such questions as
1.On the latest generation of Intel Pentium chip, how many registers are available to the assembly programmer?
Is this enough registers, or in your opinion should Intel give up whilst the going's good, unless they are prepared to spend x billion to put the chip right?
2.What is the maximum time the processor will take to respond to an interrupt request, given that there are four already not answered?  Given this is it fast enough to fly the new A380?
3.Your friend has chip x which has a little endian, which he claims is better.  You have a big endian and know this is way better because it's got a longer range with his bow and arrow.  What other advantages does your endian have?

8)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 08:56:55 pm »

Jim, it doesn't take much ... We're pretty friendly.   ;D

Oh, and my endian isn't much bigger or better than anyone's endian.  (I don't even actually have either a Athlon64 or Prescott, but have old whimpy AthlonXPs).  I guess you could say I have a wee endian.

That's okay though ... My car's small too.  The motion of the ocean and all that.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:00:05 pm »

So if there isn't much difference between todays Pentium and Athlon, what should I wait for that will be a true show stopper?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 02:24:49 pm »

What you want is the Armstrong TeraMoSaurus.
Dont go searching for information on it yet because
 they haven't thought of it yet.

But It will have more cache, hertz and pins than you can possibly imagine.
It will have added instructions for cleaning windows(R) and mowing the lawn, using it's HypeReality 3d Imaging bits.
Sadly when you buy a TeraMoSaurus, although the actual die is the size of a pen dot, it will produce more heat than a geothermic reaction so you will have to have your house water cooled, (Armstrong will market this as added House Climate Control however).
Sadly it will see the end to the AMD vs Intel debate as their 256bit chips will only run at a mere 4 Thz, using far outdated Nano-Optic technology, causing them to move into other markets like making fridges.

::)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 02:49:52 pm »

So if there isn't much difference between todays Pentium and Athlon, what should I wait for that will be a true show stopper?

Well, right now neither the Pentium D (the dual-core Pentium4) or the Althon64 X2 (dual-core AMD) are available in retail yet (they will both probably be pretty low volume until at least late fall), so if you want a dual-core processor, I'd wait for them to arrive and for the dust to settle a bit.  Use the time you have to evaluate the difference between the two and decide!

The other option would be to invest in a computer now that has the capability of upgrading to a dual-core processor later when the prices settle.  That will be much easier with the AMD platform, as the Intel processors require an entirely new chipset (i945, i955X, or Intel nForce4 SLI) whereas the currently-available AMD socket 939 (I'd get an nForce4) motherboards will support at least the first generation of Athlon64 X2's.  Heck, if you already have a nice AGP Video card, you could get an nForce3 socket 939 board (from Gigabyte for example) and still upgrade to a dual-core when they come down in price!

I know above I was quite the AMD fanboy, but the truth is that Intel has a very nice market position with the Pentium D.  It doesn't perform as well as the Athlon64 X2, but sure will be much cheaper.  Also, while it would be a bit more difficult to find, there are Intel dual-core capable motherboards out there now that could be upgraded from a Prescott processor (Asus has a very nice Intel nForce4 SLI board).

It's up to you to be an informed consumer and decide!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 07:47:05 pm »

Glynor good stuff to know.  Dual core doesn't really do much for me.  Maybe browsing the internet and playing music at the same time.  Thats about it.  Sounds like the current single core processors will be just as fast when running a single program and hyper threading is suppposed to help out when running 2..  So unless each core in the dual core processors are going to be way faster than today's current single core procesors, that I should just buy the best of whats out today?

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:50 pm »

This could certainly be a case of all the reviewer's copycatting, but I've seen no evidence and their explanations make sense.
Now I see what you are referring to.

AMD's architecture in fact did not have anything to do with keeping dual-core in mind.  It was originally designed to be scaleable further than Intel's architecture, regardless of whether it involved multi-core dies or multiple dies.  Seen any 8-way Intel-based systems?  That's because it isn't feasible.  There are 8-way Opteron-based systems on the way, though.
When I said that x86-64 was mostly hype, I was speaking regarding consumer-level
I haven't actually seen any marketing towards the consumer market for 64-bit computing.  There has been advertising but it has all been for a commercial/industrial audience.  The only "push" for 64-bit seems to be in forums such as this where someone immeidately thinks it has to be better for home desktops.  You can't blame manufacturers for that.
(meaning "average joe" computer user not corporate consumers).  Notice, I said x86-64 not 64-bit.  Linux excluded, it mostly is.  So far.  Though probably not for long.
x86-64 is 64 bit, with extensions to allow native execution of 32 bit apps.  You can go and pay a premium for an Opteron or Nacona for your desktop but it won't buy you much.  Both x86 and x86/64 distributions of Linux willl run on an Opteron, just as both 32-bit and 64-bit windows versions do.
The method did have some advantages, but mostly (IMHO) it allowed them to continually ramp-up clock speeds and perpetuate the "GHz myth". 
Actually pipelining didn't have anything to do with the GHz myth.  In fact there are other CPU manufacturers that have pipelines even larger than Intel but still have a slower clock speed.  Oddly, they outperform both AMD and Intel.  I am not an Intel pusher, but there are far too many people bashing Intel for technologies that other manufacturers also use.  The only difference is that Intel uses these in their marketing.

For the longest time there were folks that were absolutely convinced that AMD had a better CPU, despite the fact that given other factors equal it used 20-40% more power and dissipated this same amount in heat.  Larger heatsinks, fans, and air exhausts were needed to keep them cooler and they were in fact so close to Intel's performance that anyone could take the exact same set of numbers and use them to prove either was better than the other.

All manufacturers have their  marketing emarrasments.  Intel had HypterThreading.  AMD had "apparent" clock speeds.  The list goes on.

64-bit computing is absolutely NOT an Intel marketing gimic.  In fact AMD was pushing it before Intel was, despite the fact that Intel had a 64-bit CPU years earlier.

I've had discussions with folks that swore up-and down that HT made their desktop faster, including browsing, email, and other similar apps.  This despite the fact that Intel themselves had whitepapers proving them to run slower.  Applications had to be painstakenly tuned for HT, which is why it is a bust.  That was marketing hype.  64-bit computing is not.

As for pricing Intel and AMD are competitive in price (I've had meetings with both).  Vendors using their chips are pricing to corporations similarly (I've had meetings with them too).  Perhaps those vendors are using different pricing for consumer, but if you are correct then that would indicate Intel will be pricing their new dual-core cheaper than existing single-core.  (Either that or consumer dual-core AMD will be significantly more expensive, which would be contrary to AMD's entire history and marketing plan).

Now, if you want a real CPU that blows both AMD and Intel out of the water take a took at PowerPC and the Power series. . .

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 10:10:35 pm »

shady, u just seem to be contradicting what every site out there says.  It is actually fact that AMD has come out and said that there cpus were built from the ground up with multi-cores (which is multiple cores on a single package, just like it sounds) in mind.  It was part of the reason for the development of Hyper Transport.

Of course, they were also considering multi-cpu systems as well, and the fact that HT allows for much lower latencies between RAM, and north and south bridges and other peripheral devices.

As for advertising, I have seen AMD commercials that have promoted the "64-bit" processor.  I mean, it is called the Athlon 64.  Shurely that doeshn't rufer to juh 64-bitts, doesh it?

You are aware that there are consumer level 64-bit processors from AMD and Intel right?  For example, I'm running a venice core 1.8 ghz Athlon 64 right now.

And pipelining does have a lot to do with the ghz myth.  It's because too many pipelines (ie the 30 or so the Prescott core has) add extra latency in the processor.  A pipeline is exactly as it sounds;  it is a queue for instructions for the cpu.  The more stages a pipeline has, the longer it takes.  We all know higher latencies allow for higher clock speeds.  In addition, if the branch predictor (a unit that predicts which data will need the processor first) screws up, it has to reset the pipe, additionally slowing it down.  Luckily the P4 has great branch prediction and so therefore was able to cover up for it for awhile (until recently with the Prescott).

Hyper Threading (not AMD's hypertransport, a completely different technology) has been shown to make apps faster, but only when you're running the concurrently though.  So, say for example that I'm running an mp3 encoder and playing Doom 3, it would be more doable than with a processor without HT.  Maybe not completely doable, but you get the picture.  It's able to do this because of, once again, Intel's great skills in branch prediction.

Dammit I'm flaming.  I'll stop.

Just had to clear the air.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:23 pm »

Now, if you want a real CPU that blows both AMD and Intel out of the water take a took at PowerPC and the Power series. . .

I think I will...

* glynor gazes over at his shiny PowerMac G5 dual-2.5...

(Thanks IBM and Apple).   :)

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 06:36:23 pm »

shady, u just seem to be contradicting what every site out there says.  It is actually fact that AMD has come out and said that there cpus were built from the ground up with multi-cores (which is multiple cores on a single package, just like it sounds) in mind.  It was part of the reason for the development of Hyper Transport.
I'm actually not contradicting it.  Multi-cores were not the reason this was done.  Scaleability was.  This includes multiple cores by design but wasn't the consideration at the time.

I also have manufacturer spec sheets from before the CPUs were actually released.  It wasn't limited to just multiple cores and there was actually another architecture that was being researched that would have benefited as well.

Marketing can claim all they want now.  That's how the business works.
Of course, they were also considering multi-cpu systems as well, and the fact that HT allows for much lower latencies between RAM, and north and south bridges and other peripheral devices.
There is no separate/true northbridge here - that's the whole point of the design.
As for advertising, I have seen AMD commercials that have promoted the "64-bit" processor.  I mean, it is called the Athlon 64.  Shurely that doeshn't rufer to juh 64-bitts, doesh it?
I indicated I hadn't seen any.  I didn't say there wasn't any.  But if you choose to lose civility I won't bother continuing this one.  There are desktop benefits currently, but they are limited for now.

You are aware that there are consumer level 64-bit processors from AMD and Intel right?  For example, I'm running a venice core 1.8 ghz Athlon 64 right now.
I am absolutely aware.  I am aware of far more AMD and Intel products than you likely are by virtue of NDA.  That's my field (I'm an engineer) and I know products being designed for release in 2009.
And pipelining does have a lot to do with the ghz myth.  It's because too many pipelines (ie the 30 or so the Prescott core has)
The Prescott core doesn't have 30+ pipelines.  It has a depth of 30+ stages.
add extra latency in the processor.  A pipeline is exactly as it sounds;  it is a queue for instructions for the cpu. 
Pipelines actually decrease latency - that is their entire purpose.  Instruction prefetching is done by a completely separate unit to perform memory->cpu loads prior to the needs of the math, logic and execution units.  Every cpu has a pipeline and most are rather deep in current-day processors.
The more stages a pipeline has, the longer it takes. 
Huh?  The whole point of the pipeline is to load instructions and data early.  If the pipeline did not exist then the logic and execution units would stall and need to wait for instruction and data loads.  Increasing the depth of the pipeline also enables independent units (such as the FPU and IPU in typical x86 design) to operate in parallel.  This reduces latency, not increases it.  Initial load takes longer to fill the pipeline when the cpu is first booted - do you really think you'll notice the extra microsecond delay when you first turn on your PC?
We all know higher latencies allow for higher clock speeds.  In addition, if the branch predictor (a unit that predicts which data will need the processor first) screws up, it has to reset the pipe, additionally slowing it down. 
And if there was no pipeline then you'd be at the same place.  The whole point is that the prefetching is done while the rest of the CPU is busy so that the other units don't need to wait.  If there were no pipeline these units would be waiting already.  The additional overhead of refilling the pipeline is actually "low" since it happens "rarely"
Luckily the P4 has great branch prediction and so therefore was able to cover up for it for awhile (until recently with the Prescott).
Thank you for making my point.
Hyper Threading (not AMD's hypertransport, a completely different technology) has been shown to make apps faster, but only when you're running the concurrently though.  So, say for example that I'm running an mp3 encoder and playing Doom 3, it would be more doable than with a processor without HT. 
That's actually a terrible example.  Both the MP3 encoder and the game require extensive use of the FPU, of which Intel cpus have only one.  HT is only an advantage when instruction mix allows either parallel IPU/IPU or parallel IPU/FPU execution by independent threads.  HT has actually been demonstrated and proven by Intel to slow down applications that were not tuned for HT.  The documentation is pretty long but in short HT results in missed scheduling of threads that were waiting for the FPU when it was busy handling an integer operation that could have waited for the IPU.  It turns out that the FPU becomes heavier utilized artificially which ultimately slows down applications (It isn't nearly that simple but that's a managerial summary, if you will)

Everyone keeps missing a key point.  Pipelines, and deep pipelines, are not unique to Intel.  Competitors like to attack Intel on that when in fact they were designing similarly (just a little behind Intel).  Intel, unfortunately, thought it would be enough but AMD though out of the box to make the leap ahead of Intel.  The PowerPC is perhaps one example of where deep pipelines are not used, but in moving from a four to seven to twelve stage it has made leaps in both clock speed and performance.  That is how to properly use the technology!

[sarcasm maximum]
The G5's longest pipeline is 25 stages.   I guess IBM/Motorolla/Apple have it wrong too?[/sarcasm]

Keep in mind that pipelines are not strictly serial through all the stages.  Just because there's a 30-stage pipeline doesn't mean every instruction needs to traverse the entire prefetch queue and may in fact be dispatched very early on.  This helps make the most efficient use of the many independent units within a cpu - you want to keep as many of them busy as possible.  Without a pipeline you could only keep one unit busy while the others sat idle.

AMD started by licensing Intel designs.  The tables have now turned and Intel licenses from AMD. . .

I'm an engineer.  I ignore marketing.  I only believe half the manufacturer propaganda.  I work based on engineering documents.  What gets published in the media and on web sites means nothing to me since it is pure marketing and the public will believe anything they're told even when faced with contradicting real world data.

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 06:40:21 pm »

I think I will...

* glynor gazes over at his shiny PowerMac G5 dual-2.5...

(Thanks IBM and Apple).   :)
A) I'm jealous, though I may end up with one yet!
B) Think of where we'd be if Micro$loth had chosen Motorolla as the platform for their OS. . .though I've since forgotton who the original contenders were Intel and Motorolla were two. . .

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »

ok so i will stop arguing with u if u explain one thing to me:

if it's not because of the long pipeline (sorry for the grammatical error in forgetting to mention stages), then why does it scale so high.  I am studying to be an engineer so I would greatly appreciate the insight that you apparently have.

Also, I wasn't trying to slam you, I was just trying to correct things as I have been reading them for the past 4 years, from sites such as The Inquirer, Ace's Hardware, X-bit labs, Ars Technica (who did a great article on the P4 once I think mentioning its problems with its pipeline), Anandtech, Slashdot, etc.

But, I was recalling from pure memory (which is my weakest point), so I could've been off, or even completely wrong.

So now I would just like some explanation from your argument instead of pure contradiction.  Merely stating something doesn't really do it for me.

Sorry if I pissed you off or anything I kinda get heated when I get in an argument.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 10:25:02 pm »

B) Think of where we'd be if Micro$loth had chosen Motorolla as the platform for their OS. . .though I've since forgotton who the original contenders were Intel and Motorolla were two. . .
Zylog?  The Z80?

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2005, 02:13:55 am »

lol goddamit i wish i was older (rarely).  This way I would know what all these sweet old processors were.

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 09:24:17 am »

Zylog?  The Z80?
DOS on a Z80 :)

Longhorn on a "Z8000"? :)

It's amazing how one OS put a chip manufacturer where they are.

Every processor manufacturer has its strong points.  Some have vision beyond those strengths, some don't.  The PowerPC, being essentially a "consortium" effort is a perfect example - IBM, Apple, and Motorolla all contribute their strengths to one amazing piece of work.  Too bad two of the three have such adversity to partnerships with Microsoft (and vice-versa). 

Windows on a PowerPC. . .would there be any reason to look at Intel or AMD?

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 09:56:24 am »

if it's not because of the long pipeline (sorry for the grammatical error in forgetting to mention stages), then why does it scale so high.  I am studying to be an engineer so I would greatly appreciate the insight that you apparently have.
The bottleneck in modern processors is the fetching and decoding of instructions, especially given the multitude of addressing modes.  CPUs such as the legacy Intel 80860 (i860 CPU) need a deep pipeline to do all the preprocessing in order to keep the actual math/logic units busy.

When you add stages to a pipeline you split up larger more complex tasks into smaller simpler tasks.  This benefits by allowing more tasks to happen in parallel as well as being able to actually execute some instructions sooner.  In order to increase processor clock speed you generally need to:
  • increase memory and bus bandwidth proportionally
  • or increase pipeline depth
BUT, he PowerPC is a perfect example of why pipeline depth does not drive performance.  Until the G5 the PowerPC had what would be considered a typical pipeline, but this worked well since the G4+ and earlier did not have the more complex instructions the G5 introduced.  Given the incredible efficiency of the G5 combined with the extended instructions a larger pipeline was a requirement there.

It is easy to twist this to say pipeline depth drives clock speed, but in fact it is bandwidth requiremenents due to CPU clock, processor efficiency, and parallelism that drives pipeline depth.  Its a subtle difference but an important one.

The original Athlon pipeline was more than twice the depth of the original Pentium 4 pipeline, BTW.

This all started from a question of 64-bit computing being marketing hype for the desktop (which I debated).  The G5 is a 64-bit CPU.

Just because there aren't a large number of apps doesn't mean it is marketing hype.  Just as the move from 8 bit (8080) to 16 bit (8086/8088) to 32 bit (80386) provided significant benefits, the move to 64-bit will as well.  Server computing has always been ahead of desktop with respect to performance, mostly driven by marketing (there's more $$ from commercial customers which are willing to pay the premium).

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 10:42:40 am »

k cool.

that pretty much is how i saw it (the part where you talked about bandwidth and pipeline being the 2 things that the clockspeed is dependent on), but thanks for clarifying later on which was dependent on what.

do u work for a microprocessor company and what company at that?

Pages: [1]   Go Up