INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't save options!  (Read 7939 times)

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Can't save options!
« on: May 16, 2005, 07:06:22 pm »

After playing with 11 on a test machine for a month I finally upgraded my main music PC.  Once installed and converted my v10 database I can't change most options.  For example I use ASIO out with my Revo card - I can change the settings but when I try to exit out it goes to the "Devices" option - waits there for a few seconds displaying a blank screen and then gives me that screen.  Settings on this screen cannot be changed at all and clicking teh OK button does nothing.  Cancel works but of course none of my changes survive. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Can't save options!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:22:36 pm »

Are you logged in with admin privileges?

ASIO drivers have been a problem.  Try a search for other issues.  ASIO4all, maybe.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Can't save options!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 07:38:23 pm »

yes I have admin priveliges - its not an ASIO problem - I was just using that as an example.  I also can't click "Get cover art from internet" under CD Ripping options either.  I completely unistalled and re-installed and its still doing the same thing.  Some options I can change  - like I am able to change the font and toolbar options which actually get saved.  It really doesn't seem to like my Devices category - it hangs there for a good 30 seconds before displaying the options and then I can't  change or drill into ANY of the options.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can't save options!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 08:19:33 pm »

Another update - I unistalled again - then  completely cleaned out my registry of all JRiver traces as well as any plugins.  Rebooted - fresh install - nothing else changed.  No library loaded.  Same result:  When I got to Tools--> options.  I cannot modify or select anything in Devices.  Most other categories allow me to change things but if I click Okay it reverts to the Devices category and I can not click OK.  I must cancel to get rid of the options screen.

I can (and have been) running v11 on a different PC without this issue.  Obviously this is huge Showstopper for me...  I can't even play music right now!  Argh!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:42:18 pm »

Make sure you're using the latest MC 11.  Maybe post your system info from the Help menu here.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 10:55:31 pm »

Here's my info:  (note I haven't changed anything since installing)  My Music is down - any help before I resort to going back to v10?

Media Center 11.0.269 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3077 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:11:44 am »

I'm really not sure what could be causing this. These are just some ideas to look into:

Is your CD drive operating ok? Can you play CD's on it with other apps?
Do you have any network mapped drives that are slow to display in explorer? Does your sound card work fine otherwise?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 11:26:21 am »

Everything seems to be fine on this PC. Everything was working fine in v10.  I just tried a CD and Windows Media Player plays it fine.  I tried MC v11 and it recogizes it and loads/plays it fine as well.  I still can't change anything in the Device tab under options though.  I have several mapped drives to my media server and they all load quickly and there are no issues accessing or playing the files from them.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 12:25:56 pm »

I would try to find out what's different between the two systems. Perhaps I would try to interchange some components between the systems.

I noticed that your System Info doesn't show your CD drive's name. What exactly is it?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:40:53 pm »

Try unplugging your CD cables (to test).

Is there anything else in the way of drives that show up in Explorer?  Maybe an external drive that's powered off? 

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 12:46:17 pm »

its an LG DVD-Rom.  At any rate I removed the DVD drive from the system for testing purposes.  Nothing's changed - still can't change anything in the Devices group.  As far as other components I'm not sure I want to start messing too much - its a pretty straight forward PC that has been rock stable.  Asus p4p800-e Deluxe. 512MB of OZ ram, a 120GB hd, a Revoluiton 7.1 sound card, a Hauppauge PVR-250 and an ATI 9600Pro.

(No external drives or anything suspicious in Explorer- like I said this setup has been rock solid.  Been running fine on v10 for over year now with the current setup.)

Thanks for your help so far. 

(I REALLY REALLY don't want to go back to 10.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 12:49:37 pm »

Could you describe in detail what happens when you can't change settings?

Does the program freeze, or can you change settings, but they just don't stick when you press OK?

Thanks for helping us track this one.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 12:51:21 pm »

Try deleting the DVD drive in control panel/system/hardware/device manager.

Double check Explorer for anything that is a drive.  MP3 player, memory card device, etc.

Any clever drive related software running?

Also, leave it in the "frozen" state for 30 minutes.  Something may be very slow in responding.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:56 pm »

The DVD drive is out of the picture.  Physically removed.
I have an MP3 player that has been connected to this system but it is currently not connected - nor is does there seem to be any trace of it in hardware/explorer etc.

As far as what happens:
On this screen I cannot modify any of these options.  Clicking does nothing. No visual change - no dialog boxes - nothing

All the other categories I can change and otherwise seem to function as expected but if I try to click on OK after changing something I get this second blank screen:

Waiting for 30 (okay... so its only been 15 so far...)  :) minutes doesn't seem to do anything either. I can only hit Cancel which returns me the MC without saving the changes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 01:16:06 pm »

This is a long shot, but Windows user accounts can get corrupted.

Try setting up a new user with admin privileges and installing again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 01:19:27 pm »

I'm wondering if there's a message box hidden behind the options dialog / program somewhere.  Could you check?  (if so, let us know and we'll try to fix it next build)

Thanks.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 01:26:01 pm »

This is a long shot, but Windows user accounts can get corrupted.

Try setting up a new user with admin privileges and installing again.

Did that - no change  when installing under the new Admin user account.
I also poked around for an open dialog box - none present just the main MC window and this options window.  Same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »

Is Windows up to date?

Virus checker preventing registry access?

Windows security setting doing the same?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 01:56:32 pm »

Windows XP SP2 is up to date.  Currently no firewall or Virus Checker installed.  (I had removed Norton AV prior to my install as I am installing AVG once this is back up and running.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 03:36:49 pm »

k... this is strange - after I deleted the Test admin account (which had installed the v11) I went in as my normal admin user and lo and behold - it worked - I changed my playback options to Asio and got the Soundcard spitting out tunes on the correct channels.  Re-booted and now I can change the options on the Devices page but not on the Playback  and same thing happens if I try to save them  I get a blank options window.   ::)

(at least now I can play music so some pressure is off... but I'd still like to find out what is causing this.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 04:07:02 pm »

Could you try a check for spyware using AdAware or similar?

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 04:20:34 pm »

This is probably a long shot too, but I'm wondering if this is similar to the problem I was having a while back with my optical drive.  While every other program on the computer could use the drive just fine, MC was freaking out over my drive (crashing, refused to recognize, playback not working).

It turned out that I had the jumper on the drive itself set to "Master - Single Drive" when it should have been "Master - With Slave", and that was causing all the havoc.  I never had any problems with the Options panel, but this was quite a while ago... And I did have trouble with MC only...

Worth checking?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 04:33:20 pm »

ok... I ran AdawareSE - it found 15 files - minor tracking cookies and datamining files - cleaned them up and rebooted - problem is the same (2nd version still - where I can change teh Device settings and everything else but the playback options and save nothing)
I also swapped in a new DVD burner.  Again: no change to this problem.

?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 11:01:38 am »

bump!

I just know all your collective subconciouses have been working on this for me!

;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 11:39:30 am »

A bad file?

Did you try build 270?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 11:40:53 am »

This is another long shot, but are you absolutely sure that you cleaned all traces of previous MC installations? I got one of my PCs quite mixed up and I had to go through a complete cleaning process. Here's what I did: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26917.msg186615#msg186615. Perhaps you did exactly the same, but could you double-check?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 02:59:55 pm »

hrummff!

Completely uninstalled .269.  Cleaned the registry.  Cleaned all traces of JRiver files (there were some v10 files hangin around) and still no love.

Back to v1 of the problem where I cannot change anything on the devices tab and can change but can't save everything else.

?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 03:12:32 pm »

Did you try build 270?

How are you downloading?  Don't use a download manager.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 03:15:22 pm »

How about trying the Debug Logging? Could it show something?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 03:24:06 pm »

This is just too strange a problem.  It may be an OS problem.

Did you try pulling cards?  Sound card first?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2005, 03:26:54 pm »

oops - meant to put that in the above post.  yes I reinstalled with .270 and I did not use any Download Manager.

Turned on debug logging - see my file here:

http://nadorozny.com/Log.txt

anything in here suspect?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2005, 03:37:08 pm »

Its a relatively new  (~6 month old) build of XP SP2 with all quality components that I haven't had any issues with.  Unlike most of my other PCs in the house I don't mess with this one either so very little else gets into this machine and like I said - v10 has been running fine for over a year with this hwr setup.  That being said I will remove will remove my Revo 7.1 an dmy TV tuner and see what happens.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2005, 04:06:13 pm »

okay.. I removed everything from my PC.  Disconnected my USB devices except for my USB keyboard.  Still had the same result/problem - then I took out the DVD Drive and the slave hard drive.  When I did this the problem shifted from the Devices tab to the General tab.  That is I can now modify the options under Devices but the problem now goes to the General tab in that it freezes on that tab in that it won't even display the options to change now.  All other tabs appear to be working/modifying fine until I try to save in which case it goes back to the blank General tab now.

(why me?)
 :'(

All I have in the machine at this point is the video card, 1 120GB hard drive and a USB Keyboard/mouse combo.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005, 04:22:17 pm »

We're adding some logging to tonight's build, so maybe you could post an updated log after trying it.

Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2005, 04:39:23 pm »

Also, you could dowload and run the PCI32 utility and post the report. It tells detailed information about your PCI/AGP devices. I have no idea if that helps anything, but it's possible that the resident gurus find something.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~dft0802/downloads.htm
Dowload the latest PCI device database file too.

Do you by any chance happen to have a spare HD? You could try a clean XP install. If you could install just the plain OS and MC as a test it should not be too much work.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2005, 04:59:02 pm »

I posted the log of the PCI32 Log here:

http://nadorozny.com/pci32log.txt

I do have a drive I can re-install Windows on.  *REALLY* not a big fan of re-insatlling everything.... but I'll get started...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2005, 05:14:53 pm »

I do have a drive I can re-install Windows on.  *REALLY* not a big fan of re-insatlling everything.... but I'll get started...

You may want to try the latest build and post the log first.  I'm not convinced a new OS is called for.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2005, 05:35:04 pm »

You may want to try the latest build and post the log first. I'm not convinced a new OS is called for.

Yes, I meant it as a second last resort if nothing else has helped. The last would be reinstalling everything step-by-step in case the clean OS helped.

I didn't find your Revo there. I suppose MC needs an installed soundcard. Otherwise the report looked familiar to me. Your system is almost identical with mine.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2005, 05:44:11 pm »

yeah... the Revo along with everything else that's normally in the PC is out.

Otherwise the report looked familiar to me. Your system is almost identical with mine.
I presume your v11 is working right?

I uninstalled, cleared the Reg and installed .271.  Tried to change my options with logging on - here is that log:

http://nadorozny.com/LogV11.271.txt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2005, 05:51:51 pm »

yeah... the Revo along with everything else that's normally in the PC is out.
I presume your v11 is working right?
 >:(

I uninstalled, cleared the Reg and installed .271.  Tried to change my options with logging on - here is that log:

http://nadorozny.com/LogV11.271.txt

That log shows an import and playback, but it doesn't show options ever getting loaded.  Could you clear the log, then show options, then quit?  You should see log entries for the options.

Thanks.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 06:05:11 pm »

Okay....

Here's what I did:

I cleared the log.
Went to options.
Tried to change a few items under the Devices tab. (no luck)
Went to Playback tab
Changed the output to ASIO
Hit OK (it went back to the devices tab and was blank)
I hit cancel to return to MC
Hit the Play button.
Stopped.
Exited MC.

the log is here:
http://nadorozny.com/Log.V11.271.2.txt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2005, 06:14:58 pm »

Thanks, that gets us very close.  We may need a bit more help tomorrow, but hopefully we'll have a fix soon.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2005, 03:55:42 pm »

Hey Matt - any ideas on what is causing this problem?

Does the new log help pinpoint it all?  Anything else I can do/try on my end?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2005, 04:20:02 pm »

The log helps, although we can't figure out why it's helping.

We're putting some more logging in tonight, so if you could do the same drill, it'd be great.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2005, 04:35:50 pm »

By the way, it may even be fixed with tonight's build but we're not sure since we couldn't reproduce the problem.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2005, 04:43:26 pm »

I'll take a fix tonight!  If not I am all too happy to run through the drill again.  I've got an HTPC that is torn apart with pieces all over and a wife that's growing impatient with her  living room looking like a computer workshop!   :)

I think I've installed JRiver more in the last few days than I have in 2 years!

Thanks again for your responsiveness with this!!

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:57 pm »

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts.  Uninstalled, reinstalled, even installed 10 and uninstalled it again, cleaned out registry, etc.

Nothing worked until I stumbled across the fact that, at least for me, the problem only occurs with the PixOS skin.  I changed to another skin and the problem went away.  Even now, when I switch back to PixOS, the problem comes back.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2005, 10:54:07 pm »

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts.  Uninstalled, reinstalled, even installed 10 and uninstalled it again, cleaned out registry, etc.

Nothing worked until I stumbled across the fact that, at least for me, the problem only occurs with the PixOS skin.  I changed to another skin and the problem went away.  Even now, when I switch back to PixOS, the problem comes back.

;D
Well slap my a$$ and call me Judy!!
If you're near I'll buy you a beer!!
I was using the PixOS skin - I changed it to GreenEyes and voila - I can change and save all my options.  Thanks so much for piping up! And not to make light of your frustration but its nice know someone else had this problem and it wasn't just me!
Cheers!
Darren

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2005, 06:21:45 am »

And not to make light of your frustration but its nice know someone else had this problem and it wasn't just me!

I felt the same way when I saw your post, and it looks like you went through a lot more than I did!  I was sure it was some buried registry setting or stray dll on my machine that was causing the problem.

I finally found the problem by doing a totally default install, which used a different skin.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2005, 07:16:11 am »

Nice find.  I wonder if you both have the same video card.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up