INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:Media Center 11 Prices (old thread)  (Read 22888 times)

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Center 11 Prices
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2004, 07:41:05 am »

If you mean _before_ I installed MC11, Yes.

After the installation of MC11, it says "UNREGISTERED - 30 days left in the trial period."

/Robert

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2004, 05:54:27 am »

Well this is great. Now my testing period has expired and I cannot use Media Center any more. And I cannot re-install MC9 since the MC11 library is not compatible in MC9.

So here I stand without ant media player until someone can tell me how to BUY VERSION 11!

/Robert

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2004, 07:19:22 am »

Posted by: Kobba  Posted on: Today at 06:54:27 AM 
Insert Quote 
Well this is great. Now my testing period has expired and I cannot use Media Center any more. And I cannot re-install MC9 since the MC11 library is not compatible in MC9.

So here I stand without ant media player until someone can tell me how to BUY VERSION 11!

/Robert 

I think it makes a backup copy of the library when upgrading.

please start your own thread, maybe someone can help you.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Felipe_br

• Recent member
Re: Media Center 11 Feature Request
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »

For the moment I'm using Media Jukebox 8, which is a great player, but I'm looking forward to buy MC 11 as soon as it's done.

It'd be nice if you gave it a feature I've never seen in any other player, that is:
Selecting a part of a song to play repeatedly, like for example when we want to translate a song or to write down its lyrics. It would be nice just selecting the part of the song we want to loop.

Best regards

Felipe, from Brazil

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2005, 02:53:59 pm »

Felipe: I've always used an editor like Sound Forge when transcribing.  You might try Audacity; it's free.

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2005, 10:23:53 pm »

This month MC 11 come out ?! what is the plan, february something
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

modelmaker

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2005, 10:31:13 pm »

There has been no announcement that I'm aware of. There still seems to be a lot of work to do and it  has only recently become "beta".
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

silkshadow

• Recent member
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2005, 07:10:36 am »

Hi, sorry this thread is long and I am thoroughly confused ?. I have two quick questions:

1) If I buy MC10 today, do I still have to pay again in 2-4 weeks when MC11 comes out? That doesn't seem to make sense.

2) And the really important question: does MC11 work with the MC plugin for Meedio?

Thanks!

riouser

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2005, 11:15:24 am »

I originally purchased MJ7 then paid and "upgraded" to MJ8. License file name: MediaJukebox7.RRG.  Which fee applies to beta MC11.

I have been waiting for MC to enable use as a the Limited User. Is it?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2005, 11:36:49 am »

No, you need to pay for it

Not Sure If They Will, Prob Not Untill They Dump MJ8, If They Do At All

You Can Not Upgrade From A MJ7 License That You Have
Fayetteville, NC, USA

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2005, 12:41:14 pm »

I believe he is asking is "users" under Windows can run MC.  In the past, you needed to be a "Power User" or above.

I beleive one of the changes in MC11 allows limited users to run MC.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2005, 02:14:59 pm »

In the past, you needed to be a "Power User" or above.

I believe the way this worked is you needed to install MJ under each user, and it would work fine.

MC9 allowed MC to be installed once and all users could run it

I never had to do this but thats how i thought it worked.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2005, 02:17:19 pm »

A "User" can not install programs, so it was not possible.

In MC9 and 10, "Users" could not play music or do anything with MJ.  They needed to be "Power Users" and a fix needed to be installed on the machine.  It was a problem for people who have Children (teenagers especially) that they do not want to give Power User access.

majouz

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2005, 03:44:43 pm »

I have MJ 8 and would like to upgrade to MC11. Does anyone know the link to where I can purchase my upgrade from. I see all the upgrade prices but no information on where to buy them from. If I choose Buy Media Center from within MC11, it takes to a single option of $35.00

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2005, 04:58:49 pm »

MJ8 must have been previously installed and licensed on your PC. You can uninstall MJ8 before installing MC11 if you like to avoid possible conflicts. The registration information will be kept in the system. MC11 detects the MJ8 license and you'll be given the upgrade price if you start the purchase process within MC11.

If you have wiped your HD and reinstalled Windows or if you are using another PC you must install and register MJ8 first.

From the MC10 Purchase FAQ (the procedure is similar with MC11):
If you previously purchased Media Jukebox 8 and now want to upgrade to Media Center, make sure Media Jukebox 8 is correctly licensed with a version 8 license.  Then install Media Center and select the "Buy" option from within the program. Verify the price is correct and that the product contains the word "upgrade;".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cisilay

• Recent member
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2005, 03:04:23 am »

Hi,
What is the approx release date of MC 11 ?
Thanks ?
Cengiz
Cengiz

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2005, 08:35:35 pm »

I am lost, I see the price of mc11 right now is $35. I just downloaded the latest beta build which is 11.0.205, i installed it and then went to buy it. Instead of being asked for $35 I am being asked for $15 for an upgrade.

Since I don't have any versions of the program I was just looking to buy mc11 for $35. Can i do this right now or is the only way to do it is buy mc10 for $25 and then upgrade for $15 to mc11?

The other thing i don't get is that the price being shown right now to upgrade from mc10 to mc11 is $10, show why i am being asked for $15 for an upgrade, should be $10 correct?

Terry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2005, 09:51:34 pm »

Hi Terry,

$10 is for MC10 to MC11.

$15 is for MC9 or Media Jukebox 8 to MC11.

I'm guessing you have MJ8 installed, so you qualify for the $15 upgrade price.

j

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2005, 10:04:51 pm »

Thanks for the info, mc11 rocks  :)

Terry

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2005, 11:28:10 am »

Sorry if this has been answered before.  I currently have a license for MC10, and would like to get an upgrade to MC11, however, I haven't installed MC10 on my machine... (and would rather not    install it, just to get the license file there.)  Is there a way to purchase the upgrade MC11 (from MC10) w/o having it installed on one's system?

Thanks,
kiwi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2005, 12:40:47 pm »

No.  Sorry.  You have to have the license installed to get the update price.  You could uninstall MC10 afterward.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2005, 02:19:28 pm »

Thanks Jim,

No worries, I'll install... setup the MC10 license and then purchase MC11 and get the upgrade price.  I just wasn't sure if there was an easier way... i.e. you guys kept track of licenses and I could just upgrade the license associated with my existing email address.

Thanks again... love MC... been gone for a while (traveling and moving)... but now I'm back... and pleasantly surprised that MC 11 seems very much ready to go.   ;D

kiwi

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2005, 07:17:57 pm »

Well, I guess I screwed up.

I just purchased MC 11 for $35.

That's not the screw up, per se.  I should have bought MC 10 for $25 then upgraded for $10.

Sure, it's the same cost, but now I can't run Ver 10.  I *assumed* the licence would work with older versions.  (Yes I know what happens when you assume :-) But now that I've tried it, I found it doesn't.

Not only that, it used up one of my ver 11 Restores trying!

Why do I care?  Because ver 11 doesn't run right on my work machine.  So I want to run 10 at work and 11 at home.  Heck, if the final release of 11 can't close the Tree Pane the way 10 can, I might want to use 10 at home too.

So, to the powers that be at J River, can you get me a Version 10 registration?  You aren't out anything (check math above).  I just gave your server all my personal info, so you know where to find me.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2005, 06:26:51 pm »

Hi all..
i pM JimH requesting him to help me upgrade my MC 10 license o MC 11 and he seems no there..
and i cant find any link to make me purchase an upgrade license so can anyone help me ?
thanks...
Tamer

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2005, 06:28:19 pm »

If you have MC10 installed _and_ licensed, you should be able to install MC11, then choose the purchase option under Help in MC11. 

mp3~Monkey

« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2005, 02:02:35 am »

I upgraded my registered version of Media Center 10.0.173 yesterday but the website charged me $35 instead of $10.

I have all my registration keys and emails if anyone can help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2005, 07:20:02 am »

e-mail your receipt for the V11 only to me and I'll reverse it. 

You'll need to have an MC10 license installed and working (showing as registered in Help) before you'll get an upgrade price.

jimh @ jriver.com

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2005, 04:01:15 pm »

Is there a way to register a computer that is not connected to the internet?

I thought I saw how to do this in an old post, but I can't seem to find it now. 

Here's where I'm coming from.  I bought and registered on one machine, now I want to put it on the other before the trial period ends (3 days left).  But that machine is in my old house, without a phone line let alone an internet connection.  I'l be moving my office over to my new place (next door) in a few weeks, but I'll be wanting to use MC in the mean time.

Is there a way to backup the license to a file that I can use to register the internetless (is that a word?) system, then, if required, restore the license on the machine that is connected?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2005, 04:31:43 pm »

ja,
See the instructions on how to save the Install Key in the FAQ:

www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

Would you like us to revoke your license so you can try again?  If it says $35 and you say OK, that's what it will charge.

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2005, 11:13:52 am »

ja,
See the instructions on how to save the Install Key in the FAQ:
www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

That link isn't a FAQ
The FAQ link on that page doesn't mention saving keys
and
The search box on that page gets 0 hits for the keywords "Save" and "Key".

I spent mucho time looking for the answer myself before I asked the question.  The best I could find was on one of the numorous FAQ's that said:

Q: Can I save the install key instead of installing it directly?
A: Yes. You can right click on the link and choose "save as" instead of clicking on it. Then, in Windows Explorer, just double click on the file to install it.

But for the life of me I don't know what link I need to right click to be able to "Save As".  I tried the License Restore page.  I entered my Registration Code, but you get no context menu if you right-click the Restore button.  And I'll bet I just use up one of my restores (AGAIN) if I click it.

So how about a little help.

Would you like us to revoke your license so you can try again?  If it says $35 and you say OK, that's what it will charge.

Did you read my post?

I wasn't questioning the price.  I was lamenting the fact that I can't run ver 10 with the license I purchased.  I even elluded to the fact that I was an ass for assuming the ver 11 license would work on previous versions.

Then I explained the math that would have given me both versions for the same price.  No I don't want to try again, but yes I would accept a ver 10 license if you were to provide it.

PS: Not sure why you felt it nessesary to edit my previous post.  I'd think your edit took longer than it would have to provide a proper answer to my question.

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2005, 04:35:57 pm »

Check.....(tap)...(tap).....Is this thing on?

I appologize if I'm being dense, but as I explain above, I don't get how I can register a computer that isn't connected to the internet.

I've already purchased, so if the right-click save thing is during that process, it's too late.

And,  now, the trial period has expired on that machine.  I hope that doesen't make it more complicated.

Since all support is through this forum, I hope someone can clue me in.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2005, 05:41:19 pm »

The answer is in the FAQ.

Use your Registration Code on the Restore Page.  Right click and save the install key to disk.  Transfer that Install Key to any other PC and execute it by double clicking on it.

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2005, 11:58:38 am »

I'm back from a long time offline and joining the beta testing like in the old version 8 days. I was just about to purchase version 11 and saw the upgrade post. I have a registered version of MJ 8 and I want to upgrade to MC 11 Beta but of course I would like the awesome price of 15 bucks. When I do go to the Buy link it shows a price of 35 dollars with no note area is to this is an upgrade. My e-mail and my credit card info has changed since I purchased version 7 and 8 etc..I'm just wondering how you will know if it is an upgrade purchase or not so I can be charged the appropriate amount.

Also was playing with version 11 a bit and I am wondering what the actual limitations are with the trial (ie slower record speeds and not being allowed to download encoders etc - or should I say properly install them and the like).Is there a link for this info I have been off the board for such a long time.

All your help for this reborn Media Center noobie would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and as soon as I get the info I will be purchasing and testing another of your fine products.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2005, 12:06:46 pm »

There's no difference between the trial and the full version.  The trial completely times out after 30 days.

If you install MJ8 and your license for it first, then upgrade from MC11 that should give you the discounted price.

Welcome back.

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2005, 12:20:50 pm »

Thanks Jim is it ok to reinstall 8 after I have installed 11 so I can do this. Where is the upgrade button? Sorry for being a little daft on the new interface.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2005, 01:04:08 pm »

Thanks Jim is it ok to reinstall 8 after I have installed 11 so I can do this. Where is the upgrade button? Sorry for being a little daft on the new interface.

You could install MJ8 to a separate temporally folder, register it and uninstall it immediately using its uninstaller. MC will remember that registration. Then you could run the MC11 installer once again before buying it. (Just to be sure that everything is correctly installed.)

The buy button is in the Help menu. If your trial has ended you can use the buy button in the message window that comes up when you try to start MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2005, 03:06:31 pm »

Just so I'm clear on this. I have done what you said and I did have to re-install MC 11 because of the MJ 8 intall created problems. Now when I go to the buy web page it still say's 35 bucks. Now how would anyone know if they will be getting charged the 15.00 upgrade price. It doesn't suggest this anywhere, I will register and 35.00 isn't out of the way, but I want to be sure of the upgrade price if I'm entitled to it. If I'm not entitled it still is worth the price  ;).

Also I was unhappy to read about the lack of mpc encoder integration like before with this new version. I am a user (even though I guess I'm in the small percentage) who uses mpc encoding for all my existing cds. It's faster and better quality for me anyway. I am aware that I can use the external encoder but I prefer the built in workability as it was in the past. I have e-mailed Michael Rhodes about this and perhaps he may provide an update to the plug-in or this may be an issue between him and JRiver. I don't know all the details or if he is just too busy with other things to be bothered with updating the plug-in. It does seem funny we can download and install the plug-in but it is unavailable to use.

Also was wondering why the mp3 encoder hasn't been updated to the 3.96.1 version it seems to be well tested and faster. If you go the the hydrogen audio forums it would seem to make sense to either go with the new encoder or the recommended encoder for mp3's which they list as 3.90.3 I think.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2005, 03:54:43 pm »

If it says $35, that's what you'll be charged.  There's no way around that.

Maybe you have a V7 license that worked with V8.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2005, 04:00:27 pm »

Just so I'm clear on this. I have done what you said and I did have to re-install MC 11 because of the MJ 8 intall created problems. Now when I go to the buy web page it still say's 35 bucks. Now how would anyone know if they will be getting charged the 15.00 upgrade price. It doesn't suggest this anywhere, I will register and 35.00 isn't out of the way, but I want to be sure of the upgrade price if I'm entitled to it. If I'm not entitled it still is worth the price ;).

I got it for $10 when I upgraded from MC10. The license information for MJ8, MC9, MC10 and MC11 is kept in the Windows registry. Uninstalling MJ or MC doesn't wipe it. Did you make a system restore? If you didn't then the upgrade system must be broken somehow (in case you paid for the MJ8 license instead of having a free upgrade from MJ7).

Also was wondering why the mp3 encoder hasn't been updated to the 3.96.1 version it seems to be well tested and faster. If you go the the hydrogen audio forums it would seem to make sense to either go with the new encoder or the recommended encoder for mp3's which they list as 3.90.3 I think.

MC11 has LAME 3.96.1. I asked for it many times before we got it last August or so. Also, the MP3 options GUI is redesigned. It's much better now. You may want to search for LAME 3.96.1 in this forum. The search will find several interesting threads.

Don't install the plug-in from the download page. It is not updated yet. You can install the correct plug-in from inside MC: Tools > Plug-in manager > Mp3encoder. It should start automatically.

If you have already installed the wrong plug-in remove it first with Plug-in Manager and download the new one from my website: MC11_MP3encoder.zip. Unzip the files to [MC program folder]\Plugins folder. Install the dll file with MC's Plug-in Manager.

I will remove it from my site after the download page is fixed. Jim & Co, please fix it ASAP!

Also I was unhappy to read about the lack of mpc encoder integration like before with this new version. I am a user (even though I guess I'm in the small percentage) who uses mpc encoding for all my existing cds. It's faster and better quality for me anyway. I am aware that I can use the external encoder but I prefer the built in workability as it was in the past. I have e-mailed Michael Rhodes about this and perhaps he may provide an update to the plug-in or this may be an issue between him and JRiver. I don't know all the details or if he is just too busy with other things to be bothered with updating the plug-in. It does seem funny we can download and install the plug-in but it is unavailable to use.

I share your opinion about MPC encoding. I hope the MPC encoder plug-in gets fixed somehow soon. It would be better for JRiver too. Now this Swiss army-knife has one tool missing.

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2005, 04:59:05 pm »

Thanks for you quick replies it is obvious that the J River community is still one of the best out there.

You were also right my version 8 was a version 7 to 8 upgrade so I guess that I have to pay full price which is no biggie. There should be an upgrade price for any previous J River product, oh well that's life and I do like the product. I will buy soon before my trial expires and all will be well again. I hope in the meantime that the mpc plug-in situation will go back to the way it was, with integration.

Again thanks for your help.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2005, 03:55:54 pm »

Forgive me if I missed this information somewhere, but when you install MC11 on a system with MC10 installed (and therefore get the upgrade price) do you end up with both MC10 and MC11 installed, or does MC11 "replace" MC10?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2005, 04:19:59 pm »

You will end up with both installed IF you install to a new directory.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2005, 04:43:00 pm »

You will end up with both installed IF you install to a new directory.

Is the "default" directory the same as it is for MC10?  In other words, if I install with the default settings, will I end up with ONLY MC11?

Do I understand correctly that the license info will remain even if I uninstall MC10 --  i.e. will the "upgrade" price still work if I uninstall MC10 first?  If so, and if I don't care to have both MC versions installed on the system, would the best install method be to uninstall MC10 first, or to install MC11 on top of MC10?

Thanks again,

Larry

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2005, 12:18:40 pm »

Do we pay now, download later??? ?

Skylar

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2005, 12:21:20 pm »

Can I pay now, download when you're ready.

Skylar ? ?

delusion_

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2005, 05:29:53 pm »

So, I just bought version 10, and now I have to pay for version 11, which fixes bugs in version 10?

Yeah, ok. Let's just say I'm not happy. :-/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2005, 06:01:43 pm »

So, I just bought version 10, and now I have to pay for version 11, which fixes bugs in version 10?

Yeah, ok. Let's just say I'm not happy. :-/

Are you experiencing something that didn't come up when you had your try-out period? You are free to ask support in this forum.

When a program does not work as intended it is called a bug. MC11 has many new features that are not bug fixes. They are improvements. Besides, the price of MC10 plus upgrade to MC11 is not more than the price of MC11 separately. I don't see a problem with that.

modelmaker

« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2005, 05:49:07 pm »

No one is forcing you to buy MC 11. As Alex said, the few bugs that were left in MC 10, are probably fixed in MC 11, but MC 11 is mostly about new and/or additional features and refinements of all the previous versions. MC is always being further developed and therefore will allways have some bugs.

I believe the reason that MC 11 was born (and not a further version of 10) was because it handles the database in a different way than all the previous versions and with the addition of the Library Browser is essentially a different animal.

You could, as I did, use the version you have and skip to MC 12 when that comes out next year or so. I bought MC 9.0 and  used it for 2 and half years before moving to MC11, (and the upgrade still only cost $15.00).

Can I pay now, download when you're ready.

Skylar ? ?

MC X has to be installed before you can buy it.

Is the "default" directory the same as it is for MC10?  In other words, if I install with the default settings, will I end up with ONLY MC11?

Do I understand correctly that the license info will remain even if I uninstall MC10 --  i.e. will the "upgrade" price still work if I uninstall MC10 first?  If so, and if I don't care to have both MC versions installed on the system, would the best install method be to uninstall MC10 first, or to install MC11 on top of MC10?

Thanks again,

Larry

The default directory is the same.
When you start the MC 11 installation, the installer will look for previous versions of MC and then ask if you want the older MC removed before installing MC11. If you choose no, then choose custom installation and create a new directory (ie: Program Files\J River MC11\Media Center 11).

I don't believe it matters whether you uninstall MC or not, the license info stays in the registry and the installer should find it.

Only MC 10 and MC 11 can co-exist in the same computer.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

gshaver

• Recent member
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2005, 03:42:33 pm »

If I upgrade, will all my dsp plugins work with MC11

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2005, 05:49:56 am »

If I upgrade, will all my dsp plugins work with MC11

The plug-in architecture changed recently. I suppose the JRiver plug-ins are fixed. Third party plug-ins need to be fixed by the author. What are you using?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up