INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real player streams cause MC11 to crash  (Read 1271 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Real player streams cause MC11 to crash
« on: August 07, 2005, 03:31:12 pm »

MC11 crashes when trying to playback this stream from the Playing Now list:

http://cbc.ca/asithappens/media/dailyshow/2005-08-04-aih1.ram

The Real interface pops up telling me it needs to update something and begins trying to contact real for it.  MC11 then crashes.

Updating via the Real player itself leads to it downloading a "Real player 3.0 codec".  This then lets MC11 playback the stream without crashing.  So if you run into crashes in MC11 then launch the Real Player, try the stream and let it update itself.

It might be nice to know what MC11 could do to avoid this.  Real tends to "upgrade" things all the darn time (and usually not for reasons that help US) so I can imagine this will happen again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Real player streams cause MC11 to crash
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 03:44:18 pm »

It works for me without any hassle. I pasted the URL into File > Open URL.

Using MC 11.0.310 and Real Alternative 1.3.7.

Listening to: 'As It Happens from CBC Radio As It Happens Part 1 for 2005-08-04' on Media Center 11
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 04:36:03 pm »

Are you using more than one output zone?

Playback of the Real stream is still not honoring output zone selection.  This with having the latest version of Real Player installed and jumping through all their installation hoops (hint, bugmenot.com is your friend).  Other formats like .mp3 and .wma playback properly through the correct, current, output zone. 

Is it possible to use Real streams in MC11 and have them playback through output zones?
That is, if I playback a URL from a real stream it sends the audio to the system default output device, not to the currently selected MC11 zone's device.  Everything else, at least the few others I've tried, properly stream via mp3 and/or wma to the correct zone.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 04:42:27 pm »

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:22:41 am »

Ok, then how about this stream:

http://www.wamu.org/audio/kn/05/06/k1050613.ram

MC11 only plays the gateway intro clip.  The real player client plays that and then correctly goes on to play the program.  So not only is it not using the right output zone, it's not actually going on to play the right stream.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 10:40:41 am »

Again, I pasted the URL into File > Open URL.

MC played this first (21 seconds):

Listening to: 'WAMU Gateway Announcement' by 'WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio' on Media Center 11

Then it started to play this (51 min 59 s):

Listening to: 'The Kojo Nnamdi Show' by 'WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio' on Media Center 11

Something must be different in the MC/Real configurations we have. Do you use the official Real codec? I have installed only Real Alternative 1.3.7.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 11:46:07 am »

I've got the genuine Real Player installed.  The Real Alternative software v1.42 didn't work; it crashed MC11.  Although in jumping through the never-ending FLAMING HOOPS of installing anything related to RealAudio 1.42 now seems to not crash MC11.  But, then again, I've got both Real v10 and 1.42 installed so I'm not even sure which one's being used to play the tracks.

So at this point is looks like it might be possible to use this Real Alternative but only with ONE output device?  That is, anything played through it only goes to the sole output device it's player has been configured to use?

The trouble is, how do I tell MC11 which encoder to use and what output device?  I can live with having to force all real audio streams out a given device, I just need to know how to tell it to use something other than the default system device!
Pages: [1]   Go Up