INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with media server  (Read 1445 times)

yonkiman

• World Citizen
Help with media server
« on: August 20, 2005, 05:47:53 pm »

I've been using MJ/MC for years.  I used to use the media server to listen to songs on my upstairs PC stored on my downstairs PC (tied together through a Netgear RT314 router, no wireless involved).  It was pretty easy.  But I haven't done that for months, and now things have apparently changed.

Now I'm trying to do it with the latest MC (11.0.312) on both PCs, but every time I try to find the downstairs server, my upstairs PC says "Failed to Find Local Media Server".  I've looked around on the forum, but all of the messages seem to assume a bit of basic knowledge that I don't have.  For example, there's a great screenshot of a config screen near the end of this thread: http://tinyurl.com/9srax , but there are no instructions on how to get to that config screen, and I can't find it.  I found one at Tools/Plug-in Manager/Interface/Library Server, but it doesn't have the options the other does (particularly the port manager).

What I'd really like is step-by-step instructions on how to set this up.  And then some sort of step-by-step troubleshooting tips if it doesn't work.

FEEDBACK ON: As I said, I really like MC, have paid for several upgrades, and have turned friends on to it, etc.  But it's really lacking in the "how does one USE it?" department.  It's great for my power-user friends, but I can't recommend it to my less computer-literate friends until there's SOME sort of documentation besides searching the user forum for similar complaints.  I appreciate that it's designed well, so most people shouldn't need documentation to do most of the things most of the time, but it only takes a few frustrating things like this to make potential new customers stop even trying to use it.  PLEASE write some sort of user/troubleshooting manual for this awesome product that I mostly love!  FEEDBACK OFF

Thanks and somebody please help,
Fred

yonkiman

• World Citizen
Re: Help with media server
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 05:53:16 pm »

Two more things:

1) When I type the downstair's PC's address into a web browser (http://10.0.0.1:8787/), I get this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Home]

Playing Now
Media Library
Controls
Playlists

(C) 2003, JRiver Inc
Remote Server v1.5, JRiver, Daniel Ellison, and Benjamin Sweet
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that correct?  2003 makes me think maybe it's the old server.  Is this a clue?

2) Where can I find the media server log file I see people talking about?

Thanks,
Fred

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:55:14 pm »

You're talking to the RemoteServer that's built into MC.

Try (as a test) putting that URL into IE.  You'll be able to control the server from it.

For NetRemote setup, try the forum at promixis.com.  You probably need their version of the server.

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 08:13:16 pm »

Hi Jim,

> You're talking to the RemoteServer that's built into MC.

OK.  Is that what is expected?

>Try (as a test) putting that URL into IE. 
>You'll be able to control the server from it.

Yep.  I can control the downstairs PC from the upstairs web browser.

>For NetRemote setup, try the forum at promixis.com. 
>You probably need their version of the server.

This is where I get confused.  I just want to hear the music (stored on my downstairs PC) on my upstairs PC.  I used to be able to easily do this in MC.  Are you saying I now need to download a 3rd party server?   This is a lot more effort than I expect (see previous well-intentioned feedback).

So I just want to make sure we're on the same page before I start trying to figure out what NetRemote is and what I'm supposed to do with it.

Thanks,
Fred

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 08:57:13 pm »

What you need to do is enable the media server on the 'server' machine.
Expand 'Plugins' in the tree.
Click on 'Library Server'
Click the enable button.

Now, on the 'Client' machine, start MC then go to File-Library-Search for Media Servers

You should be playing music.

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 01:26:53 am »

Thanks Marko, GHammer,

That was exactly what I needed!  I'd been looking for the plug-in options in the menus; it hadn't occurred to me that the config might be in the tree.  Problem solved!

Cheers,
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up