INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.1.94 Release Candidate  (Read 6331 times)

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Media Center 11.1.94 Release Candidate
« on: January 05, 2006, 04:27:36 pm »

This is a pre-release version of MC 11.1.  It will work with the same MC11 license that 11.0 uses.  Please post only bugs here.  Anything requiring discussion should go in a new thread.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

PRICES for MC11.0 and 11.1 are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

The public release version of Media Center 11.0 is available here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html (recommended for new users)

This latest build of MC11.1 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter111094.exe

11.1.94 (01/05/06)

1. Changed: Primary Podcast header now contains an introduction to Podcasting in MC.
2. Changed: Buttons were added to all podcast headers, improving access to functions present in the tree control.
3. Fixed: Number-type fields could display integers without trailing 0's. (could also affect date displays)
4. Changed: All calculated fields operate as expressions. (mostly internal change, but will also help performance in some areas)
5. Optimized: Calculated / expression fields can now get cached by the sorting engine, helping speed when using these fields.
6. Fixed: Escaping a closing parenthesis in an expression would not always work as expected.
7. Fixed: "Customize Current View" for a list below grouping tiles would show "Tiles" as the list mode instead of the correct list mode.
8. Fixed: When ripping CD's, [Track #] field not handled correctly for file naming.
9. Fixed: If auto-rip was enabled and eject-cd was disabled for CD burning, rip would commence as soon as burn was complete.
10. Changed: Library view drop-menus auto pop and hide to reduce the number of clicks necessary to make a switch.
11. Changed: Media Center defaults to a maximized state on a fresh install.
12. Fixed: YADB Lookup cancel was not cancelling quickly.

11.1.93 (01/04/06)

1. NEW: Dropping files directly onto a Media Center shortcut will begin playback.
2. Changed: Command line playback commands support file lists in this form: "c:\1.mp3" "c:\2.mp3" (also supports alternative "c:\1.mp3"|"c:\2.mp3")
3. Changed: Revised anti-repeat logic for remote controls to ignore repeat count and only look at timing for most commands. (volume is different since it often gets held down)
4. Fixed: Dimensions column would show an "x" for audio files.
5. Changed: Revised expression language to return fields formatted for display by default, use [Replay Gain, 0] or Field(Replay Gain, 0) to not format for display.
      Details here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/DevZone/DBExpressions.htm
6. Changed: Updated the DevZone MC command list to the latest.
7. Changed: Replay gain, width, height, etc. no longer show a question mark when empty. (now simply blank)
8. Fixed: Ejecting a handheld from the right-click menu in the tree wouldn't remove it from the MC tree.
9. Fixed: Trying to close MC from a theater view button while media server was running wouldn't work as expected.
10. Fixed: When starting MC with media server running, it wouldn't honor the startup mode switch. (for Theater View, etc.)
11. Changed: When picking "Playlist sync" and then picking no playlists, the options dialog will show an error and not let you continue.
12. Changed: Reduced the tooltip delay duration in file lists and a few other spots.
13. Changed: Tile views now contain files (for play, drag-n-drop, etc.) in the order specified by the sorting of the rest of the view.
14. Fixed: Changes to calculated fields wouldn't take effect until MC was restarted.
15. Fixed: Rotating images or using other thumbnail changing tools could cause a crash. (still)
16. Changed: Added a cancel button to image rotation operations.
17. Fixed: YADB Submission was not working in Windows 98 (possibly ME too).
18. Fixed: Podcasts were not properly cleared and re-initialized when the database was cleared.
19. Changed: Full precision Date Field is now saved in Medial Library for Podcasts. (Previously truncated to year)
20. Changed: Podcasts again display and sort using the regular Date Field. (Previously used DateCreated)
21. Changed: Better subtitle on main Podcast frame.

11.1.92 (01/03/06)

1. Optimized: Improved the speed of calculated template-style fields.
2. Optimized: Improved the startup and tree building time. (especially with large libraries)
3. Changed: TV time-shifting window is increased from 30 minutes to 90 minutes.
4. Fixed: When pressing a navigation letter in a library view and then pressing play, the selected files wouldn't always play.
5. Changed: Somewhat revised library view mode switching. (feedback welcome)

New Features in MC 11.1
Podcasting support
Much improved handheld support for iPod, PlayforSure devices, and many others
Configurable locations for all media types on handhelds
iPod Shuffle and Nano support
Album art on iPods that support it
Automatic backup of library
Directshow support for AAC files
Much faster handling of thumbnail images (requires one-time rebuild of thumbnails)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 11.1.94 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:41:46 pm »

10. Changed: Library view drop-menus auto pop and hide to reduce the number of clicks necessary to make a switch.

Hard to use the Bottom one if the right edge is near the screen's edge because the popup is under the Top and when you move that direction the Top's popup menu comes up (note: Bottom's menu pops up to the left if near screen's edge).  It takes some mouse diagonal dyxterity to get it and it's somewhat annoying to try it over and over to get it.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:49:55 pm »

1. Changed: Primary Podcast header now contains an introduction to Podcasting in MC.
2. Changed: Buttons were added to all podcast headers, improving access to functions present in the tree control.

Would be nice if the long, cryptic comments that show up for many, many eposides could show up in the top portion of the Podcast screen when you select an eposide.  As is, the comments are hard to read (on one line and 300 chars wide or more sometimes).

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:20 pm »

thanks very good performance for tagging Album Name, Disc #, Date, Keywoards, etc.

But the editing from Album Artist (auto) tag ist very very slow, the changes become only after very very long time.  ?
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:34:38 pm »

Choosing Initialize iPod, then going to Sync, acts like if no files have been removed. (ie. the sync dialog shows 18GB over capacity.)

Ejecting the iPod, then reconnecting fixes this.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 07:56:39 pm »

Still unable to play .vob video files on client machines via Library Server.
Appears to be passing .dvd extension instead of .vob and gets file missing error.

edbro

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 08:31:11 pm »

I think the text in the upper left (ex: Audio > Panes) is useless. I'd say get rid of that and move the two option dropdowns over to the left. As sbsp2 said, the dropdown for the bottom pane is very challenging to get to. If they moved over towards the center then the dropdown box can drop down at the cursor instead of offset. Actually, those two left side options can be moved to the center without deleting the upper left status.

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:53:18 pm »

MC taking forever too start up. Disabled all plugins but problem remained - went back to 11.1.92 and problem disappeared.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 10:01:19 pm »

MC taking forever too start up. Disabled all plugins but problem remained - went back to 11.1.92 and problem disappeared.

Could you try to use logging to see what is taking the time?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 10:32:04 pm »

I'll have to say that "I don't like it."

I don't know about everyone else, but I wish clicking on the Audio breadcrumb had some effect.  I'd expect it to show a "tiled" view with [Panes] [Genres] [Artists] [Albums] (for the default Audio view).  That might allow you to get rid of the "Top" drop-down menu.

Also a bug:
While displaying Audio from the tree (doesn't matter what mode you're in Panes, Gneres, ...), reset the View schemes to default (Edit -> Reset all View Schemes to Default).  As soon as you try to use the "Top" menu MC crashes.

-John

lOth

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 12:58:55 am »

Data has disappeared from the [Removable] field for all my files. Reverting to .93

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 01:21:40 am »

Happy new year 2006 !

Bug for files *.m4a :

MC ignore the bitrate of this files (on the top of the skin "green eyes")  :-[

Bon courage

Jean-Marc

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 03:38:24 am »

formatdate([Last Played],elapsed) is broken, counting down from 263828:59:59

customise current view sorting presets do not load.

formatsize([file size]) is also broken, showing only 6 bytes for a 6.9mb file, for example.

David_1cog

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:17 am »

Like skeeterfood, the dropdown menus are not entirely doing it for me.  A clean interface is great, but hiding commonly-used functions in a dropdown just makes for more mousing.  Could regularly used functions like genre / artists / albums not be permanent buttons?

I don't see the reason for suffixing album names with 'Panes' in the breadcrumb.  Could that be removed?

Could there be a visual indicator to show which part of the breadcrumb is clickable?  Perhaps bold or underlined.

I've mentioned this a couple of times with no reply, so none the wiser if it was missed or not considered.  I'll try again  ;): when paging up or down through genres, artists or albums, the tile at bottom of screen is usually cut in half.  When I page down, the tile that was cut in half at bottom is now cut in half at top, so I don't see complete tile without scrolling a line or two.  Can that be changed so that the any partially displayed tiles are fully displayed on previous / next pages?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 08:47:46 am »

formatdate([Last Played],elapsed) is broken, counting down from 263828:59:59

customise current view sorting presets do not load.

formatsize([file size]) is also broken, showing only 6 bytes for a 6.9mb file, for example.

Fields are formatted by default now so you don't need the extra Format(...) function.  If you need raw data, do [File Size, 0] or Field(File Size, 0).  The DevZone has the full details.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marty3d

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 09:10:42 am »

Don't know if this has been fixed in this version, but in 11.1.92, When showing cover art in Playing Now, if a song doesn't have a cover art, the previous image is shown, not MC default image (the lil arrow).

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »

Had some comments around my place the last couple of days about how the Top/Bottom links work.  First instinct has been to click on them, but then the context menu goes away.  What you really need to do is hover and wait for the menu to appear on it's own.  Most people in this house aren't used to that.
Also, from a professional software tester's standpoint (me), I could go either way with it, as long as it's standardized one way or the other.  See, if you hover over the links under the tiles or the breadcrumbs, nothing happens till you click.
The links should operate the same way in each place they are present.

Mouse issues with the "Bottom" link specifically.
Depending on how big you have the MC window sized, and depending on what choices you click on, the context menu that appears too far to the left.  As you bring your mouse down to select an option, you better be quick or it disappears.  Try it with MC maximized and you'll be able to reproduce it there since there's no room for it to hang out past the window like it does when MC is only using part of the available desktop.
Screen shot for your viewing pleasure....

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 02:33:44 pm »

Still unable to play .vob video files on client machines via Library Server.
Appears to be passing .dvd extension instead of .vob and gets file missing error.

Unfortunately, this will not work. It's not the extension, it's because playback is not handled by us, and the underlying engine doesn't support our HTTP format.

j

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 02:42:48 pm »

Unfortunately, this will not work. It's not the extension, it's because playback is not handled by us, and the underlying engine doesn't support our HTTP format.

j

Darn.  Is there a different engine that can be installed instead that could work?
I assume you mean the windvd codecs or whatever player's codecs are selected.
I own Windvd and Zoom Player.  Can't remember which one is on that client machine though.

I guess it's a good thing I comitted to adding a Buffalo Roomlink in the near future.  Might have to get 2 of them.

The more pressing issue for me then is the inability to save cover art to DVDs (on original  disc, not ripped to hard drive), posted in a separate thread.

T2Mac

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 03:09:57 pm »

I don't see the reason for suffixing album names with 'Panes' in the breadcrumb.  Could that be removed?

I totally agree with this.

Also, I think clicking the root level of the view scheme (Audio, File Type, Pay Stats etc.) in the breadcrumb should default to the panes view and display just the view scheme name in the top left of the breadcrumb.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 03:15:38 pm »

Fields are formatted by default now so you don't need the extra Format(...) function.  If you need raw data, do [File Size, 0] or Field(File Size, 0).  The DevZone has the full details.
started a new thread: > http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31160.0

Also, re. the sorting presets thing...
I deleted them all, and then next time I started MC, they were back, and working. not really sure what's up with that, but they do appear to be OK now.
Perhaps an old set of values taking precedence over a new set?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 03:42:31 pm »

Don't know if it's a bug or a feature but the field "File Type" is now editable. I think it should not.

jbholtz

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 03:49:43 pm »

Tried to Get Image from Internet on multiple Albums while playing a track (mp3).  MC started to 'stutter' on the track.  Eventually after it finishes the Get from Internet it resumes.  Don't seem to do this if I select a single album. 

I'm using the Top: Album Bottom: Details View

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 04:28:24 pm »

Happy new year 2006 !

Bug for files *.m4a :

MC ignore the bitrate of this files (on the top of the skin "green eyes")  :-[

Bon courage

Jean-Marc

Fixed in the next build.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 04:38:32 pm »

MC locks-up on a view scheme I've had for a few years that selects only my MP3 data backup CDs (all cataloged in MC's library).  MC is consuming lots of CPU memory and appears to be looping.  I have to kill it and restart MC.  I can't event edit the view scheme to tell you the criteria it uses (selections done in Step 4).

I reverted back to build .93 and it worked fine (no problems) on the view scheme.  Using .93, I see the criteria is:  ~d=c [Volume Name]=MP3_
Pages: [1]   Go Up