INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.1.110 Release Candidate  (Read 6568 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.1.110 Release Candidate
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:21:43 pm »

This is a late pre-release version of MC 11.1.  Your MC11.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

PRICES for MC11.0 and 11.1 are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

This latest build of MC11.1 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter111110.exe

11.1.110 (01/31/06)

1. Changed: Podcast browser window now recognises pop-ups and allows them to open outside the program.
2. NEW: Added a feature to disable automatic Podcast episode downloads.  Does not affect click-to-download operation.
3. Changed: Re-enabled list selection by drawing a marquee box on the list.
4. Fixed: ~Fill smartlist rule for filling a handheld was not working properly.
5. NEW: Added a "Recheck Sync" option to a handheld view header and action window options menu to allow a sync to be recalculated. (after manual playlist / file info changes or if you want different random files from a smartlist)
6. Fixed: iPods wouldn't understand that they natively supported m4p files.
7. Changed: In-place editing wouldn't select the full string when the drop list showed <too many to list>.
8. Changed: During an upload, the status of files queued to be deleted would be shown as "On Device" instead of "Delete On Sync".
9. Fixed: Playlist change or delete only syncs were not being properly allowed. (so you'd have to transfer one file to get the device in sync)
10. Changed: Files converted during handheld upload will always get an image saved in their tag if the format supports it.
11. Changed: Updated the Alt+1...9 shortcuts to mirror the current tree structure.
12. Fixed: Faulty DirectShow filters could cause MC to hang during import or playback.
13. Optimized: Faster iPod initialization times.
14. Changed: The Incomplete Shutdown Dialog will only show after two (or more) consecutive incomplete shutdowns.
15. Changed: Added a hard-coded Podcast Mime-to-file-extension table in Media Center, because some users appear to have incorrect Windows registry entries to do this.

11.1.109 (01/30/06)

1. Changed: Switched default output plugin from WaveOut to DirectSound.
2. Optimized: Many optimizations that improve performance with handhelds connected.
3. Changed: When viewing a playlist group, no files are shown unless the list is double-clicked.
4. Changed: The play button on a view header always plays the visible files. (instead of possibly requerying for new files)
5. Fixed: Switching libraries while MC was analyzing the transfer status of handheld files could cause a crash.
6. Optimized: Syncs are calculated when viewing a handheld instead of when MC starts.
7. Optimized: Syncs are only calculated once.  (re-open handheld action window to recalculate the sync)
8. Optimized: Syncing playback information back from an iPod now faster in some cases.
9. Fixed: More ASX streams are now playable.
10. Changed: When ripping CD's to cue sheets, the formatting inside the cue sheet file is more compatible with other programs.
11. Fixed: Burning m4a and other DirectShow-played tracks did not work.
12. Fixed: Library Server would ask for a password too often.

11.1.108 (01/27/06)

1. Changed: Updated the version of the installer's self-executing file extractor.  May fix false alarms from virus / spyware programs.
2. Optimized: In-place editing is now much faster to switch between items with large lists.
3. Fixed: Some asx streams weren't playing if they were served up by php scripting.
4. Changed: Some tweaks that could fix offset tree drag images. (not able to reproduce)
5. Fixed: Dragging onto a non-item area in a tree control would show as enabled where it should be disabled.
6. Changed: Moved the "Auto-eject" option from "Device Management" to the root of handheld options. (only available for an iPod)
7. NEW: When MC detects a handheld, it allows the user to name the device when saying whether MC should recognize it.
8. Fixed: Editing the search box in a smartlist wouldn't always update the file list right away.
9. Fixed: "Play All" from Windows Explorer now works (may affect anything that sends multiple commands to MC from externally).
10. Fixed: Tree nodes were not expanding correctly.
11. Fixed: It was possible to add a page to Podcast favorites, and be unable to remove it.
12. Fixed: Some Podcast font sizes, text and messages were made consistent with the rest of the program.

11.1.107 (01/26/05)

1. Fixed: Podcast favorites were not displayed properly at top-of-page, and were not set correctly.
2. Changed: Auto-complete edit controls cap at a lower number of items to help in-place editing performance.
3. Fixed: Having more than 2 GB of thumbnails could still cause issues in some cases.
4. Changed: In-place editing filters the all choices list to the media type of the selected files. (instead of the full library)
5. Fixed: 3D image slideshow visualizations were crashing.
6. Changed: When setting Media Center to play the last playlist on startup, image playback now starts in slideshow mode instead of paused.
7. Fixed: In some cases, thumbnails would fail to be created for files as expected after viewing 3D visualizations.
8. Fixed: Input plugins that output 32-bit sound or 5.1 sound could make occasional clicking noises.
9. Changed: New artwork for header of file downloading view.
10. Changed: Files with DTS extension are played using DirectShow instead of WAVE plugin.
11. Fixed: The podcast delete button sometimes deleted episodes, not podcasts.
12. Fixed: Audible files could not be burned to CD.
13. Changed: Podcasts have moved back to the root of the tree, just below the media types.
14. Fixed: Erasing CD/RW disks resulted in a crash.
15. Fixed: Dragging tree items could produce a drag image that was offset a little.
16. Changed: Dragging tree items provides a better looking alpha drag image. (no more red / pink borders around icons)
17. Optimized: Improved performance of logging system.
18. Fixed: Importing files could use more memory than expected. (introduced in 102)
19. Fixed: Removed the "Select" option from Theater View's Playing Now as it didn't work or make logical sense.

New Features in MC 11.1
Podcasting support
OneClick Podcast subscription
Much improved handheld support for iPod, PlayforSure devices, and many others
User-configurable locations for media types on handhelds (edit pdt.xml file in MC directory)
iPod Shuffle and Nano support
Photos and album art on iPods that support it
Automatic backup of library
Directshow support for AAC files
Much faster handling of thumbnail images (requires one-time rebuild of thumbnails)
Integrated library and library browser system
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center 11.1.110 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »

This one may be it.  Speak now or hold your peace.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Tamer

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 05:42:18 pm »

In-place Editting for Name Field shifts viewable editing characters to last 12-ish characters in tag:

This will be a little clumsy to explain so I am including screen shots:

Select the Name field:

[F2]

The selection text is moved to the left out of the edit field.

Expected:

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 06:25:23 pm »

In-place Editting for Name Field shifts viewable editing characters to last 12-ish characters in tag:

Select the Name field:

[F2]

Expected:

I see this as well.
-

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:26:23 pm »

Playlist-only handheld syncing works now (via the Recheck Sync option and Sync button click w/o requiring a file to be transferred).  This is good, great!!

Only thing I still notice is that on a 3 playlist-only sync of 63 tracks per playlist, MC still locks up for 20 seconds once you click the Sync button.  While locked up, the Sync remains pressed in and MC is unresponsive.  Once the lockup period finishes, the sync proceeds and finishes less than 2 seconds later.  You also notice a lockup if you do the same kind of sync and have 1 file to upload (after the file uploads, MC does NOT update the status progress bar anymore and appears locked up).

I know this is all minor, but I thought I would mention it anyways.  It is nice to have syncing work at least. :)

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 06:53:26 pm »

Select the Name field:

[F2]

Expected:

I noticed this as well on the previous build however it wasnt until after the thread was locked and before the latest build was posted.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 06:56:10 pm »

When burning an audio CD and showing the "Details", there is a column with the header "CD filename", but the contents of the column is the filenames for the source files (e.g. "Caserón De Tejas - Pedro Laurenz - Alberto Del Campo - Valsecito Amigo - 02.mp3").

Either the header or the contents should be changed, as it is now it makes me wonder whether I really did choose "Audio CD" or I by mistake is creating a MP3 CD.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:18:20 pm »

14. Changed: The Incomplete Shutdown Dialog will only show after two (or more) consecutive incomplete shutdowns.

Great compromise.  Thanks!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 08:36:08 pm »

As with 109, MC wants to connect to the Internet at startup. MC is set to start in Playing Now (as it was with 11.0, which didn't ask to connect until I clicked the Start topic) so I don't know what's causing the connect request.

I'm saddened to see the demise of the ability to right-click in the Now Playing pane and select which view (Full Screen, Mini, etc.) I want to jump to (Full Screen now appears to be the only option?). Being able to return to Mini Me by right-clicking in that pane was a favorite shortcut.

=t=

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 08:45:47 pm »

Minor) In the Podcast View scheme, the "Album" field is populated by the episode dates. Sorting on that column sorts by text not by date. For example when trying to sort in decending order 12/31/2005 appears before 1/1/2006

The Secure rip logs are now being written to the drive without manually closing the Rip "Action Progress" dialog box each time. Thanks for fixing this!

TimMedcalf

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 11:00:16 pm »

I don't think this is a new bug in this build, but if i switch to Windowed View (CTRL+F3) and back again, i get an orphaned "Media Center Display" icon in my task bar, that i cannot get rid of until I close MC down.

This behaviour only happens when the Option "Minimize to System Tray" is switched on.

Apart from that, looking good! :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 02:06:58 am »

image editor still not preserving <MJMD> tags - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30959.msg213062#msg213062

Persistant selection causes problems.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30241.0

what's the official line on this one? I'm not sure how others feel, but it feels uncomfortable to me and constantly interupts my workflow requiring me to scroll away down to the bottom of the list to find that blank bit to click in to get to the "none selected" state. (a ctrl+a followed by a ctrl+shift+a gets me there too, but is still a fudge)
I've also worked out why it feels wierd, and is potentially dangerous....

filter to the right via panes, select a file or two in the list, now click 'all' in any pane to the left. the previously selected files remain selected. (not expected)

if any other filtering via the panes include those files, the selection remains, but land one that doesn't, and the selection reverts back to all selected, and if no other files are selected, clicking 'all' to the left really does mean 'all' with no files selected.

perhaps I'm missing the point somewhere, when exactly would this kind of persistant selection be useful?

EpF

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 04:25:48 am »

Persistant selection causes problems.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30241.0

what's the official line on this one?

I'd like to know as well; this comes up frequently, and I can't remember seeing a J River response.

It appears to be a bug, as I can't see the purpose of it. I also agree with marko that it's awkward and unhelpful; potentially dangerous too, as those unaware of it (like new users) could end up doing things to files without realising it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 05:28:51 am »

10. Changed: Files converted during handheld upload will always get an image saved in their tag if the format supports it.

I tried this with my Handheld setup (defined as a folder on HD). It really seems that MC always adds the image file in the file tag even the if original file has external cover art.

I don't use embedded images in my main library. Why on earth I would like to add image files in the file tags when converting files for small displayless devices?

Currently I have not bothered to resize cover the art images if they are smaller than about 1000x1000 pixels. My standard cover art size is 500x500 pixels.

Let's say an album contains 12 files and the cover art image happens to be 100 KB. That makes 1.2 MB of wasted space.

This should be an option. Perhaps it should also have an option for resizing the images to something like 200x200 if they are bigger.

Also, this issue remains:
Topic: Filtering out Folder.jpg  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30869.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 06:50:02 am »

This one may be it.  Speak now or hold your peace.

please work out the .dts issues before closing out this release.....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31549.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31514.0

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 09:58:09 am »

Your are kidding!

What about those:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31367.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31604.0
Regarding the first issue with the ASX streams, I believe MC is playing them correctly. Can you give an example of one that is not playing?
Your example of the stream called "Sample Album" plays in MC.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 10:22:58 am »

As with 109, MC wants to connect to the Internet at startup. MC is set to start in Playing Now (as it was with 11.0, which didn't ask to connect until I clicked the Start topic) so I don't know what's causing the connect request.

Podcasting.

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:01 am »

Podcasting.

Is there any way to stop this without deleting all the listed podcasts? (I'm not overly interested in podcasting at the moment but may in the near future.) I right-clicked the Podcasts node and disabled auto download but it still wants to connect.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 12:12:55 pm »

3. Changed: Re-enabled list selection by drawing a marquee box on the list.
Thank you so much for this!  :D :D :D

[...]
Same with me.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 12:42:57 pm »

Just a bit of nitpicking: in the "bottom bar" of MC's main window, MC normally shows information about the files in the currently visible list (number of files, size, duration). If, however, a track is playing, and the user makes any changes to the tags of this track, MC will show "writing tags (files x of x)" or something like that. Thing is, that this display won't "go away" when switching views. It will stay until the file has been played, and MC has finished writing the tags. After that, MC will show the totals again.

It would be much more logical  if MC would continue to show the totals in such a situation, plus "writing tag changes (file x of x)" (or whatever). I guess that would be a small change from the programmer's view...  ;)

Sauzee

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 01:47:22 pm »

Just a bit of nitpicking: in the "bottom bar" of MC's main window, MC normally shows information about the files in the currently visible list (number of files, size, duration). If, however, a track is playing, and the user makes any changes to the tags of this track, MC will show "writing tags (files x of x)" or something like that. Thing is, that this display won't "go away" when switching views. It will stay until the file has been played, and MC has finished writing the tags. After that, MC will show the totals again.

It would be much more logical  if MC would continue to show the totals in such a situation, plus "writing tag changes (file x of x)" (or whatever). I guess that would be a small change from the programmer's view...  ;)

Thanks for highlighting this - i got to agree with you.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 02:09:57 pm »

you echo my sentiments exactly:

Status bar irritations.
I often rate a song that's playing while I'm working with MC, or perhaps i'll correct a tagging error I've spotted on the currently playing track. The problem then is that the status bar hangs on "saving tags.. 1 remaining" and then on "done saving tag changes"
This means the usual information in the status bar is not visible. Is there any way that the tag saving status can be seperated, perhaps placing it in the far right of the status bar, allowing the usual status info to always be displayed?
If it's do-able, it would be a most welcome update at this end.

Nice to see I'm not the only one after all. I had kind of given up on it, but, the same applied to the marquee selection function, so, it just goes to show, you can never tell.... this status bar thing can be very irksome you know, it woud be great to see it change its behaviour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up