INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless importing problem  (Read 1004 times)

Jgoul

• Recent member
Wireless importing problem
« on: May 18, 2006, 08:26:25 am »

I have been using MC for sometime on a stand along laptop.  I recently put all my music onto a server in my house...   I was able to import all (thousands) of some wirelessly from the server to my laptop.  however this was my work laptop so I pickup up a cheap laptop (about a year old).  Running XP and seem to be a decent machine.  I installed MC on it and have been trying to import these files form the server wirelessly.  It starts to import and goes for a bit (maybe 100songs) and then just freezes up my entire laptop.  I can even CTL ALT DEL it to shut it down.. Have to manually turn it off and back on again... then when I try to import the songs it freezes up again.  I have done this about a dozen times.  Can you think of what the reason may be?

I uninstalled MC and reinstalled it...   I have all the setting set to default...

Thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Wireless importing problem
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:21:47 am »

A complete lockup is usually hardware trouble. Run a memory test (memtest86), try running with a fan blowing directly on the laptop.

j

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:59 pm »

Thanks J...   How do I run the Run a memory test (memtest86)?

I will also try the fan...

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:16 pm »

There should be instructions on their site, but basically you create a bootable CD or floppy from their program, and boot off of it. It'll run the tests (takes a long time) and if you see errors, you start swapping memory.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up