INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: best fm car adapter for portables?  (Read 1833 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
OT: best fm car adapter for portables?
« on: July 14, 2006, 04:27:38 pm »

I am going to get a fm adapter so I can play my Zen in rental cars while on vacation.  Any recommended brands?  Brands to avoid?

Thanks

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OT: best fm car adapter for portables?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:37:58 am »

What kind of portable?

I use the newer iTrip on my iPod, because it allows you to change the station being used quickly (quick turn and press of the knob on the iTrip).

The quality of these devices is going to depend on how saturated the airwaves are with FM signals.  In some places, I have zero issues.  In others, I find myself having to change stations frequently to get clean sound, and in some places you just can't find a good station to use.  This is why in reviews you will see two different people giving the exact same device very different ratings for sound quality.  The same device in two different locations can give crystal clear sound in one, and nothing but static filled sound at another.

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 03:53:46 pm »

I had a fm one, used it for a few min, then went out and got a car deck with audio in.
I have not heard one that I liked/
-

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 06:11:24 pm »

I had a fm one, used it for a few min, then went out and got a car deck with audio in.
I have not heard one that I liked/

Well, I don't disagree with your sentiments - but I use mine for the same reason as the original poster:  rental cars when traveling. 
I also use it for road trips in my wife's car since it doesn't have a tape deck or aux in right now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 06:17:41 pm »

This isn't exactly on topic, but a month ago, I had a ride in a taxi where the driver had a device plugged into his cigarette lighter receptacle.  The device accepted a USB memory stick, had a tiny display, and transmitted FM.  He said his brother got it for him for $65 (I'm not sure whether it included the memory device).

I've been looking for these since then, and found something at Micro Center this weekend, but it was behind the counter and the clerks were too busy.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 09:19:23 pm »

This isn't exactly on topic, but a month ago, I had a ride in a taxi where the driver had a device plugged into his cigarette lighter receptacle.  The device accepted a USB memory stick, had a tiny display, and transmitted FM.  He said his brother got it for him for $65 (I'm not sure whether it included the memory device).

I've been looking for these since then, and found something at Micro Center this weekend, but it was behind the counter and the clerks were too busy.

Never heard of these, but looks like there are quite a few options:
Google 'usb fm transmitter'
On Walmart's page search electronics for 'usb fm'

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 12:00:06 pm »

I should have been clearer in my original post - I'll be using this with a Creative Zen Xtra, so it needs a standard 1/8" stereo jack, not an iPod connector.

Thanks

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:57 am »

Turns out I'm in the same position now. I bought a top of the line Hyundai Tucson over the weekend which comes with a 6-disc changer but turns out it's not MP3 compatible, unlike the middle Tucson model. Go figure. So now I have to find some MP3 solution.  I'll be listening to songs but mostly be using it for audio books so whatever I get has to have the ability to remember where it was when powered off and back on.

I think this might be the thing Jim was referring to. http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=11877
It doesn't sound like it remembers the exact position when turned off but the last track. Not good in my case since sometimes I might have a 20MB MP3 audio book file. Nice idea though because I could plug an SD card or USB flash drive into it, which I have one of each. This or one of the other models that Cyberguys has like this might fit the bill nicely for Nolonemo.

So besides an FM car adapter, any recommendations on a semi-cheap MP3 player that does remember its last exact position? 1-2GB should be fine but of course anything bigger is fine too.
Jeff
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 07:38:13 am »

Forget the suggestions on an MP3 player, I'm getting a Nano. Now I just have to determine how to get it to play best in the car. I might check out the iTrip that was suggested but any other good fm car adapter recommendations would be appreciated.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up