INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skipping, HIccuping problem  (Read 3247 times)

lindysauce

Skipping, HIccuping problem
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:38:42 pm »

I just bought a brand new computer because I thought the reason my Media Center was skipping when I played files was because my computer sucked.  Turns out it is doing the same thing on my brand new computer (Duo processor, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard drive). I DJ and have to leave to go to a gig in 2 hours and am in a complete panic.  Dancers don't really like when their groove is interupted....help, please!

I tried moving the buffering up all the way to the 5 second mark but that didn't seem to help.  It happens mostly when I try to search for a song but skipped tons when I scrolled down on this forum from within my MC. 

avenger107

• Recent member
Re: Skipping, HIccuping problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:21:07 pm »

There was a thread awhile back on a registry key that might help:

Quote --------------------------------
You can force MC to use a bigger memory buffer, although it may not provide the results you expect.  MC already intelligently adapts its buffering based on the speed of the source and the speed of the machine.

Here's the registry key you can play with, but again we recommend using the default 6000 (6 seconds) for most all uses:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Player Core\Secondary Buffer Minimum MS
-----------------------------------------
(the same key exists for Media Center 11) It seems to allocate a minimum ammount of RAM for a pre-cache. It is differant and seperate from the "buffering"  that can be set using the GUI. No need to go hog wild with this thing, even a small increase to 15 or 20 seconds may make a noticable differance. WIth the 2 GB of ram you have plenty to experiment with.

You may want to try other things besides unsupported registry tricks. Changing the output driver (from direct sound to wave out etc.) is worth a try, as well as limiting whaterver other software is running on your system, especially security software such as Anti-virus or others that run in the background real time.

It might be helpful to know what type of files you are playing (MP3, FLAC etc.) and how large of a collection you are searching through.   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:14:02 pm »

You obviously are installing some software that is conflicting and causing a lag problem, or the music is on a drive that didn't change. 

Is the music on an external drive?

If not, what software did you install on the new computer when you got it, that you also had installed on the old one?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lindysauce

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:11:52 pm »

I am using a mixture of ogg, mp3, and m4a.  I tried noticing if it did it when certain file types were playing but didn't observe any difference. 

Programs I have downloaded since I got the machine...iTunes (for the music store mainly and cause I can't get my iPod to work with MC), Trillian...I think that's it besides MC.  I've deleted a bunch of software that was pre-installed but maybe there is something else causing the problem.  It just seems with 2 GB of RAM I shouldn't have a problem...but I am fairly stupid when it comes to this stuff.

lindysauce

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:35:50 pm »

...and my music is skipping from my internal drive. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:03:46 am »

I am using a mixture of ogg, mp3, and m4a.  I tried noticing if it did it when certain file types were playing but didn't observe any difference. 

Programs I have downloaded since I got the machine...iTunes (for the music store mainly and cause I can't get my iPod to work with MC), Trillian...I think that's it besides MC.  I've deleted a bunch of software that was pre-installed but maybe there is something else causing the problem.  It just seems with 2 GB of RAM I shouldn't have a problem...but I am fairly stupid when it comes to this stuff.

You certainly should not be having that problem with those machine specs (or even far, far lower specs).

Is there any Anti-Virus application installed on the machine?  Have you tried disabling it?  MC has been known to be sensitive to some over enthusiastic AV applications.

Also ... Just to be absolutely sure... When you said you deleted a bunch of software.  I really, really hope you meant that you uninstalled it via the Add/Remove Programs control panel.  If you just started deleting program files directly off of the C drive, that could go a long way towards explaining your issues!!

lindysauce

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:21:05 am »

Disabled the anti-virus software but that didn't seem to help.  And I didn't just start deleting random things out of folders =).  I'm lost and don't know whether to return the computer or to just DJ off something else for this weekend (I have to DJ a four day dance event).  I can't imagine its the computer though cause it was doing the same thing on my craptacular computer...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:44:01 pm »

Try switching playback options between DirectShow and Wave Out.

Try playing only MP3 files. 

Try these (from the FAQ link to "Weird and Wonderful..."):

ASIO--Clicks, hiccups
It had to do with a PCI Latency problem and the fix is here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27668.0

Skipping playback
Solved by turning off Norton Anti-Virus:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=32818.6#msg225241

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:17:18 pm »

Lindy--

Anti-Virus software is a likely culprit, and it's next to impossible to actually "turn it off" without removing the program.  Rather, you should disable the AV inspection of MC as it pulls tracks.  If you tell us what software it is, one of us can help you do that.

Also, what format of tracks are you playing?  Mp3?  WAV?  Does it skip with all types or just a certain type?

Did you try elevating the priority of MC?  You can do this in task manager.  Try running MC "above normal" or "high" (NEVER realtime).  With an elevated priority, and 2-5 second buffer, try playing tracks in "Direct Sound" and "Wave Out", like Matt said.

When you're DJing, you don't surf the Internet, do you?  If not, then don't fret if surfing causes skipping.  It shouldn't in the first place, but until we find the reason it's skipping, it's best to try simply to eliminate skipping during your gig.

When I'm scrolling through MC during playback, it seems like the longer I hold the mouse in one scroll without releasing it, the longer the playback has to "hold its breath", it seems, until the buffer can be refreshed.  I'm sure Matt can shoot this observation down with his doggone facts and figures, but it's worth trying shorter scrolling just to see if it helps.

IMO, Windows Media Player is of little use to anyone other than a Monopolist.  However, if I were in your position and nothing else worked, I would simply cue up tracks using MC's incomparable library functions, and then drag them into WMP for playback.  I'm sure we'll get you righted before you need to resort to anything as drastic as that, but it's nice to know you've got a backup plan, I believe.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 03:36:11 pm »

When you're DJing, you don't surf the Internet, do you?  If not, then don't fret if surfing causes skipping.  It shouldn't in the first place, but until we find the reason it's skipping, it's best to try simply to eliminate skipping during your gig.

When I'm scrolling through MC during playback, it seems like the longer I hold the mouse in one scroll without releasing it, the longer the playback has to "hold its breath", it seems, until the buffer can be refreshed.  I'm sure Matt can shoot this observation down with his doggone facts and figures, but it's worth trying shorter scrolling just to see if it helps.
jg,
I've never seen either of these problems.  For the mouse problem, you might try uninstalling any mouse software you're running.  Windows should handle most mice without it and the software often adds a lot of thrilling but useless features.

On the network problem, what you're saying, I think, is that network activity affects the soundcard.  That's like the old DOS days with interrupt conflicts.  Weird.

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 03:40:12 pm »

I don't see either of these problems, JimH.  MC works great for me and should on Lindy's machine also.  But I'm reading Lindy's first post and thinking, is there something to try that hasn't been suggested?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 03:50:53 pm »

Did you try elevating the priority of MC?  You can do this in task manager.  Try running MC "above normal" or "high" (NEVER realtime).  With an elevated priority, and 2-5 second buffer, try playing tracks in "Direct Sound" and "Wave Out", like Matt said.

With her machine's specs, elevating the priority of the task really should not be required at all (Core Duo with gobs of RAM).  That could come in handy if you're running lots of tasks simultaneously on a relatively wimpy machine, but it should NOT be needed for this system at all, pretty much regardless of background processes.  Also, multi-tasking should not be an issue.  I have no problems on much less powerful machines browsing the web via a wireless card and playing audio (FLAC, MP3, WAV, any of it) or playing Video back using MC.

On my, far less CPU powerful Athlon XP-M 2500+ with 2 GB of RAM, MC plays just fine when running Far Cry or UT2004 in the foreground with the default priorities!  IE shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, you likely have some nasties in there (either spyware or hardware problems).

Since it happened before, and it's happening now with a new machine, it is absolutely, positively something that remained the same between the two systems.  I'd guess:

1) Something set wrong in MC or an Audio driver.  Was the new PC the same brand as the old one?  What make/model was it?  Have you checked for updated drivers?  Also... If you completely uninstall MC and then install it from scratch, with a clean library, import some songs, and then try to play them without messing with any settings or installing any plugins or anything, does it still happen?

2) Spyware.  I'd guess this is the most likely culprit.  You may not realize that that cool screensaver or game or whatever comes with all kinds of nasties, but it did.  If I were searching for problems on the machine, probably the first things I'd do would be to download and install BOTH Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy.  Run full scans with both of them and remove anything it finds, then reboot and scan again with both of them.  You'd be surprised what actually comes pre-installed with many large PC vendors (I've found things fresh out of the box on first bootup on some of them - cough HP cough.)

3) Anti-Virus.  Can you try uninstalling it completely?  (Only do this if you can put it back on if/when it doesn't work).  I agree.... What exact AV software are you using?  What Firewall package?  Any other "security stuff" installed?

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 04:09:52 pm »

I think Lindy will be relieved to know that MC shouldn't be doing this, Glynor and Jim. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:24 pm »

I think Lindy will be relieved to know that MC shouldn't be doing this

Agreed.  I'd also say I wasn't trying to de-value the advice you gave at all, jgreen!  It would be quite valuable to know if the skipping can be reproduced by doing any other "tasks" with the computer.  If browsing on the web causes it (but not other CPU or disk intensive tasks), it could be spyware, key/net-logger type activity, or a virus.  If it can be caused by any disk activity, or CPU usage, then I'd guess it is more likely to be driver or setting related (though it still could be one of the above).

I also totally agree that a fairly likely culprit is the Anti-Virus or Security application.  It's too bad that so many of the consumer-level AV apps are so absurdly poorly designed.

As an example... It speaks volumes the difference between the performance (and stability) of Norton Anti-Virus (for "Home") and Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate,   I mean... They're both by the same company!  Businesses simply wouldn't tolerate the performance and stability implications of the home version.  Use the home version on your machine for a month or so, and then switch to the Corporate version and you'll see immediately the difference.  It's really amazing that Symantec doesn't just re-use the corporate code base for their home customers...  Instead, it seems like they're locked in a death-struggle with McAffee to see who can put out the worst piece of software possible (and then charge money for it over and over).

Speaking of which... I've tried AVG (which is nice but darn ugly).  Does anyone else have any recommendations for a good, lightweight, rock-solid-stable AV App?  I, personally, use Symantec AV 9 Corporate (which I really like).  Luckily, my office has a site license for those machines, and I could buy the extra licenses for home at a deep discount, so cost wasn't a factor really.  When friends and relatives ask what to get though, I never know what to tell them.  SAV9 (not a big fan of 10) is wonderful, but it certainly isn't cheap for most people!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 08:14:35 am »

Speaking of which... I've tried AVG (which is nice but darn ugly).  Does anyone else have any recommendations for a good, lightweight, rock-solid-stable AV App?  I, personally, use Symantec AV 9 Corporate (which I really like).  Luckily, my office has a site license for those machines, and I could buy the extra licenses for home at a deep discount, so cost wasn't a factor really.  When friends and relatives ask what to get though, I never know what to tell them.  SAV9 (not a big fan of 10) is wonderful, but it certainly isn't cheap for most people!!

Try Avira (formerly known as Free-AV or AntiVir). I have it on all our PC's (I abandoned McAfee). Their free home user version is excellent, but I am going to buy the premium license just to support the product.

Edit

I also use Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.1.5. It is an old version that outperforms every other firewall program I have used (the current Kerio Firewall is a totally different product). Kerio 2.1.5 is rule based and does not try to do anything fancy. It simply works as configured and teached (by default it runs in a learning mode).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 08:39:40 am »

Try Avira (formerly known as Free-AV or AntiVir). I have it on all our PC's (I abandoned McAfee). Their free home user version is excellent, but I am going to buy the premium license just to support the product.

I'll check it out.  Thanks!!

I also use Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.1.5. It is an old version that outperforms every other firewall program I have used (the current Kerio Firewall is a totally different product). Kerio 2.1.5 is rule based and does not try to do anything fancy. It simply works as configured and teached (by default it runs in a learning mode).

Until I finally got with the program and built myself an IPCop firewall, I used the old Kerio.  Couldn't be beat really (unless you move it to a standalone box).  If I felt the need to do "outbound filtering" more than the built-in XPSP2 firewall provides, I'd still be using it.  We are very well trained to practice skeptical computing in my household though, so it hasn't been necessary thus far.

lindysauce

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 11:08:49 pm »

So, thus far nothing has helped...I uninstalled McAfee which the AV software that I got with the computer.  I did the Spybot Search and Destroy and Adblock scans...I have tried closing all other apps and only running media center...I started off with a fresh media library when I got the computer because I sadly deleted my MC backup library from my old hard drive.  When it comes to things like registry keys and elevating priorities of tasks and things of that nature...I honestly have no clue what to do to play with those sorts of things. 

As a sidenote my DJ gig went ok, but was a technical disaster.  MC was skipping and I couldn't find another program that would play all my media files so I was trying to DJ from 2 other programs while searching under my MC library.  Not good. Just in case anyone cares =).

Anybody else?
Pages: [1]   Go Up