INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble with Girder (3.3) and MC12.  (Read 3117 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Trouble with Girder (3.3) and MC12.
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:53:21 am »

I searched the forums on this subject, but I was not able to find any information that helped me solve this.

I've been having some trouble getting MC12 to work with Girder (3.3.)  I had everything set up to work in MC11, and I've been "somewhat" successful getting Girder to work with MC12 by changing "MC11.exe" to "MC12.exe" in the Girder OS commands, but I'm finding that while some commands work fine, others only work in certain circumstances.

For example, I used to be able to start MC11 by using a command that used "mc11.exe" with the "/power" switch.  I find that this DOES turn MC12 OFF if it's already running, but that it does NOT turn it ON if it's currently off (which is what happened with MC11.)  Clearly the command IS controlling MC12 -- it's just not controlling it when it isn't already running.

This seems to be at the root of the problems with MC12 -- i.e. that you can only control MC12 if it's the current "active" program.  This was not necessary with MC11 -- you could control it with "mc11.exe" commands even if it was not active, or even if MC was completely shut down (i.e. you could start it up.)

Thanks for any help getting things working with MC12 the way they used to work with MC11.

Larry

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Trouble with Girder (3.3) and MC12.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:50:30 am »

Have you tried if Girder 4 works better? 3.3 is sort of...old...
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 11:05:51 am »

Lalittle,

Would you mind if I ask how you are controllin gMC with Girder (or trying to ). I have 3.3 as well and I just setup a VFD/IR Receiver; an Irtrans/Originae for my Uneed X11 case.

IIt comes with a Phillips MCE remote and my plan was to use my Logitech Harmony remote to control MC. I have added a Media Center computer through the Logitech software and assume that this is mimicing the MCE remotes or commands. I can move around in Theatre View with the Harmony and choose OK which acts like an enter button. Trouble is nothing like Play, Pause, Next, Previos, works at all. SO I am looking into Girder and downloading some MCE plugins but the setup button for each is greyed out. I don't know Girder well and tried the online Help but it was a failed link so I plan on hitting the Promixis forums after I get a paper done. Can Girder help me configure the commands that are currently preset in my Harmony? Maybe we could correspond by email and see if we can get 3.3 working with MC12.

v/r
DC

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:12:54 am »

Have you tried if Girder 4 works better? 3.3 is sort of...old...

I haven't tried it, but since Girder is simply a program that passes commands on to another app, I don't see any reason that the "old" version shouldn't work.  3.3 works perfectly fine with MC11.1 and any other app I use it with -- it's just MC12 that is giving me trouble.  I have a strong feeling that the syntax I need for MC12 to work like MC11 did is slightly different -- I just need to find out what this new syntax is.  I simply don't need any of the extra features Girder 4 offers when Girder 3.3 is fully capable of doing what I need.  I don't see how this could be a Girder issue since Girder is just a middle-man in this situation.

DC -- I'll be happy to share any info I can with you in getting MC to work with Girder, but I have to say that I'm no expert with Girder.  I got a GML file from somebody else, and basically just reverse engineered it and made changes to get it to work as I wanted (with MC11.)  I therefore am not that good at answering specific questions about how to get things to work because I don't fully understand it myself -- I just follow the "patterns" I see in other GML files and apply them to mine.  I honestly don't know how to answer the specific questions you asked about the "Harmony."

As I said, however, I'll try to help any way I can.  I don't have access to my email right now, so any direct correspondence will have to wait until later this week.  I can, however, respond to Private Messages here.

Larry

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:02:00 am »

I'm using Girder 4 and  I use mc12.exe /start to start MC12, haven't tried /power.

Have you tried using /start instead tio see if this works?

Richard

gappie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:35:02 am »

i use girder 4 also, and the power switch works with mc12.exe .

but could it be that you are running the media server? because then it doesn´t.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 05:39:48 am »

...I'm no expert with Girder. I got a GML file from somebody else...

Could I trouble someone to post their Girder4 GML for MC12 please?

Thanks in advance.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

gappie

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:55:49 am »

Could I trouble someone to post their Girder4 GML for MC12 please?

Thanks in advance.

dont know if it helps, but here is mine. used some very simple LUA commands and im stil working on it, but it does work. took all the things away that have nothing to do with mc12.
http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/mc12simple.zip
and when you have questions let me know.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 06:20:23 am »

Thanks heaps Gappie.

Actually, I just also found a comment from Glynor in an unrelated thread. He siad he would post a version which makes use of windows event messages where possible. He said this really improves overall performace. Any ideas about this?

Glynor?

This version will be just fine for now though.

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation

gappie

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 06:23:09 am »

your welcome. did something wrong with my upload. so if the file only shows a new folder inside girder and you are still interested please download it again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 11:25:08 am »

Thanks heaps Gappie.

Actually, I just also found a comment from Glynor in an unrelated thread. He siad he would post a version which makes use of windows event messages where possible. He said this really improves overall performace. Any ideas about this?

Glynor?

This version will be just fine for now though. 

I did.  It's here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33295.0

I haven't yet posted my updated ones for MC12, but I will probably get to it tonight.  Check back tomorrow on that thread.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 12:55:55 pm »

I tried my Girder 3.3 & the 4.0 trial...all the plugin Settings are greyed out on both versions. I need to get into the Irtrans plugin to setup the server so that Girder can communicate with my IR receiver.

Anyone know what if any remotes work out of the box with MC12?

DC

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 04:17:52 pm »

I did.  It's here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33295.0

I haven't yet posted my updated ones for MC12, but I will probably get to it tonight.  Check back tomorrow on that thread.

Thanks very much glynor.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 11:07:56 am »

Sorry.  Didn't get to it last night.

I had some pet-related issues.  ::)  Hopefully tonight I'll get to fix it up while I watch the election results come in.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 12:55:41 pm »

I'm using Girder 4 and  I use mc12.exe /start to start MC12, haven't tried /power.

Have you tried using /start instead tio see if this works?

Richard

Using "Start" instead of "Power" does start MC, but unfortunately it doesn't turn MC off if it's already running.  Since the remote simply has a single Power "On/Off" button, I need a single command to "toggle" MC on and off.

but could it be that you are running the media server? because then it doesn´t.

Yes -- I'm using Media Server.  Is there any way to have a SINGLE command TOGGLE the main MC program on and off (and leave MC running) if Media Server is running?  I need to have a single remote button start and stop the main MC interface while Media Server continues to run.

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 01:14:05 pm »

With Girder 4 it'd be a simple matter to test if Media Center.exe is currently running and to send one command if it is, and another if it isn't.

gappie

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 04:43:12 pm »

With Girder 4 it'd be a simple matter to test if Media Center.exe is currently running and to send one command if it is, and another if it isn't.

the problem is that when the media server is running media centre 12.exe is running. and also the MJFrame.

does 3.3 also work with LUA scripts?

JONCAT

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 09:46:12 am »

What, if any , remotes work out of the box with MC12?

I am having trouble getting Girder to allow me to use my IRtrans plugin (Settings greyed out) and would like to simply teach my Logitech Harmony the commands in a remote that already works with MC.

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:29 am »

On our home page, there is a link to this:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/remote.html

gappie

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:33 am »

not to be an ass, but not all infrared remotes work. for instance the streamzap. so be sure to choose one somebody has working with mc12.

JONCAT

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 01:08:34 pm »

I'm working on getting Girder to work but I thought if I could find a remote that already had commands that worked with MC, then I could program that remote into  my Harmony.

But, I guess it's not so much the remote as the IR receiever, and MC12 doesn't recognize my IRtrans reciever so i will probably need to use Girder with the IRtrans plugin.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 01:11:17 pm »

Sorry.  Didn't get to it last night.

I had some pet-related issues.  ::)  Hopefully tonight I'll get to fix it up while I watch the election results come in.

Finally got to it.  Check here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33295.0

jansbob

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 11:55:41 am »

What, if any , remotes work out of the box with MC12?

I am having trouble getting Girder to allow me to use my IRtrans plugin (Settings greyed out) and would like to simply teach my Logitech Harmony the commands in a remote that already works with MC.

DC

I hope you find an answer to using Harmony without Girder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up