INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best way to upgrade to media center 12  (Read 1815 times)

Snickering87

• Recent member
What is the best way to upgrade to media center 12
« on: December 18, 2006, 08:19:50 pm »

from 11.1??  Do I need to purchase another license??

Thanks
Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What is the best way to upgrade to media center 12
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:44:07 pm »

Not if you bought MC11.1 recently.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is the best way to upgrade to media center 12
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:39 am »

You didn't really ask this, but to actually technically do the upgrade, there is a somewhat "suggested" procedure (at least it's suggested by me).  I thought this might come in handy for others...

1. Backup your current library!  You can do this via MC11.1 by going to File --> Library --> Backup Library.  Choose a place where you can find the ZIP file and hit Save (the best place for this might not be the default location -- make it easy to find).

2. Install MC12 using the latest build from the download page located here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html

3. At this point, until you get up and running with MC12, I would recommend you DO NOT uninstall MC11.1.  They can co-exist without problems.  As soon as you are sure everything is working, you can uninstall MC11.1 via the Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs tool.

4. Set MC12's options the way you want them and get it registered.  Unfortunately, you will need to manually rebuild your toolbar icon set (if you use them) and manually reset the various options you use.  There is a way to do this via hacking the windows registry, but it could be dangerous if you aren't exactly sure of what you're doing, so I'd strongly recommend that you just do it manually.  This is only needed once.  If you purchased MC using a build posted after early September 2006 (it's irrelevant when you made the purchase, only with what build you made the purchase) your license for MC11.1 will work with MC12.  Otherwise, you will need to purchase an upgrade to MC12.

5. If you want MC12 to use a different location for the library files (the database files, not the media files themselves) you can create the new library via the Library Manager (at File --> Library --> Library Manager).  Set that library active.  NOTE:  Most people will probably just use the default library location, and if so, you don't have to do anything here.

6. You will also need to grab new versions of some of the plugins you use, as many of them for MC11.1 won't work correctly with MC12.  Some examples:

7. Now, restore your backup library (the one you made in step 1) to MC12.  Go to File --> Library --> Restore Library.  Then navigate and find the ZIP file you created in the first step and click Open.  MC12 will import the backup from MC11.1 and upgrade it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up