INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happens when I "send" the audiofile to an external program?  (Read 1309 times)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
What happens when I "send" the audiofile to an external program?
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:50:51 am »

Hi

So when I "send to" the file to an external program, which information does the program get. The path and the order to open it right?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What happens when I "send" the audiofile to an external program?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:05 pm »

Hi

So when I "send to" the file to an external program, which information does the program get. The path and the order to open it right?

That is what it has done for every program I have used it with.  Great for sending files directly to another media player or an editor.  I will usually offload the video to another program if I am actively working in MC since some actions interfere with the video playback and cause it to pause or stutter when running from inside MC.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:02:44 pm »

I've just tried this with multiple files. I tried sending them to "MP3GainGUI.exe", to apply album gain. But MC sent the files one by one, so after sending i had several mp3gain windows open, each with a single file. Is there a special syntax to send all files "in one go"? I couldn't find details on this in the documentation.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:18:12 pm »

you would be wanting to check the documentation for "MP3GainGUI.exe", looking for the correct command line syntax to use, then get MC to use that command line.

You know that MP3Gain permanently changes the volume of the mp3s, while MC's own internal replay gain feature works in a similar fashion, without altering the file itself?

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 02:09:54 pm »

Marko, i know that... Been thinking about that problem lately. The problem is, that only a handful of software programs support "real" replay gain. I'm an iPod user, and i mostly listen to self-made compilations, as opposed to full albums, so mp3gain seems to be the only way to have "volume-levelled" tracks. RockBox is no solution for me, as my iPod is too slow (=old) to run Rockbox in full speed (besides, RockBox on the iPod is in a _very_ early state of development). Unfortunately, all this forces me to use the mp3 format - i'd prefer to switch to FLAC or APE as a primary format, but then i would have no replay gain on the iPod.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if mp3gain is the problem - to me, it seems that MC simply calls the configured app, one file at a time. In the config dialogue, the "Parameters" field is filled with the preset "[Filename]". I thought there might be something like a "[All Filenames]"-option. I'll check mp3gain's docs, maybe my assumption is wrong. ;)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:13:26 pm »

Did you try using drag and drop from MC to mp3gaingui?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:37:59 pm »

Exactly, a simpler simpler solution by far

it works with mp3gain 1.2.5, remember to set the mp3gain program to be Always on top, makes it easier to drag to it
Pages: [1]   Go Up