INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Import not importing everything (plus updating issues...)  (Read 1650 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

A couple of questions about auto-import & updating of files in MC12:

1) Although I have all filetypes selected in the "Import" options, when I run Auto-Import, new jpgs and txt files I have mixed in with my music files do not import as I would like them to. I need to run the "Import Folder..." command manually in order to load these pictures and text files into my library. Any ideas as to why Otto is missing these files?

2) Also, before I last ran the "Import" command, I had used the Windows Explorer shell to drop in upgraded album art that had the same name as the old art. As expected, MC 'fixed/updated' the links to these files. However, not all the meta-data carried over. Oddly, only the "Album" information did not. All of these pieces of album art were assigned their creation date as the "Album". Any ideas here?

Best,
Brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto-Import not importing everything (plus updating issues...)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:42:56 pm »

Double-check the "Advanced" options for each folder in Options > Library.

Specifically:
  • Ignore files previously removed from library
  • Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)

Either one could explain a file getting skipped.  If you look at a log (Help > Logging) and search for a filename of a skipped file, you can hopefully see exactly why a file was skipped.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:37:28 pm »

Well...

"Ignore previously removed files" is checked
"Ignore special files" is unchecked

Regardless, these switches seem to affect the "Import Folder..." command in fully expected ways. For whatever reason, I'm having issues with Otto importing text & picture files. More specifically:

- Otto is setup to search M: (where M: is a mapped network drive that points to all of my music on a NAS)
- Otto finds new music just fine. He skips previously removed files like I want & attempts to relink changed files (although he seems to have some issues with metadata).
- However, Otto fails to import jpgs that are in a sub-folder of "M:". Running "Import Folder..." and pointing it at "M:\" imports everything as expected.

Hmmmmm.....

Brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:44:16 am »

Have you checked "JPG", etc. in the file-types list for the auto-import folder?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:34:58 am »

Matt,

Thanks! I didn't realize that each auto-import folder could have different filetype settings. I guess they still had their original (default) filetypes selected from when I initially defined the auto-import folders.

After going to "Tools>Auto Import Options" and "Editing" the various watched folders, I was able to make sure that all the file types were selected appropriately.

Sorry for overlooking it!

Thanks,
Brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 04:04:15 pm »

Would there be any clever way to make this more obvious?

Thanks.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:32:06 am »

Would there be any clever way to make this more obvious?
Hmmm.... I think my problem was that I set up my watch folders back in the early days of Otto, so I didn't remember that I was presented with filetype options when I initially set up the folders.

That being said, the terminology of "Edit Folder" in the auto-import options is why I didn't initially investigate all of the choices available. In my head, "Edit Folder" meant "Change the path of this watch folder".

Of course, that's only part of it...so maybe a different label for that option would be a small help: "Edit Folder/Options"; "File Types..."; "Advanced..." etc., etc....

Thanks for setting me straight!
brad

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:07:38 am »

Hmmm.... I think my problem was that I set up my watch folders back in the early days of Otto, so I didn't remember that I was presented with filetype options when I initially set up the folders.

That being said, the terminology of "Edit Folder" in the auto-import options is why I didn't initially investigate all of the choices available. In my head, "Edit Folder" meant "Change the path of this watch folder".

Of course, that's only part of it...so maybe a different label for that option would be a small help: "Edit Folder/Options"; "File Types..."; "Advanced..." etc., etc....

Thanks for setting me straight!
brad
Maybe "Auto-import settings" or "Settings for this folder" would be more clear.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:58:28 am »

As a tag-on to this issue, a couple of things that I wish the import (auto/manual/whatever) had...
  • Options to specify Audio, Video, Images, Documents,... filetypes and then specify specific formats to in/exclude within each media type.
  • The ability to add specific filetypes to the importation process (for some strangely named files that are really just a normal format, or for specific data-based formats, or for files supported by codecs that MC isnt necessarily aware of)
  • If the first point ever gets implemented, the ability for us to define additional "Media types" (dont ask why, but I WILL use this, and I'm sure others could too ;))

Cheers,
C.

[edit] I like "Settings for this folder" although it may be a tad long-winded...
Pages: [1]   Go Up