INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC Encoding Problems on VISTA -- anyone else?  (Read 3607 times)

EvilTed

FLAC Encoding Problems on VISTA -- anyone else?
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:40:51 am »

Hi,

I'm new to MC12, so please bear with me...

I like the interface and the "instant RIP" on a CD insert, however, all the music I have ripped so far is full of audible glitches.

I'm using the Enc_FLAC-V2.2.2 plug-in from Source Forge.

Is there a couple of settings I need to tweak to get rid of this?

Cheers

ET

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FLAC Encoding Problems :(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:43:35 am »

Try ripping to APE to make sure it's the codec that matters.

scthom

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:13:21 pm »

Agreed, that sounds like scratched CD's.  Does the rip log give you any indication as to the quality of the rip (try secure rip if you're not already)?

mcmCPH

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:45:06 am »

I'm also having FLAC encoding problems.

When I rip using FLAC on Vista I also get noise that sounds like a dirty record - but AFAICT only on some tracks.  Also seek within a track doesn’t seem to always work right (I can't get it to dependably fail). 

Have you testing FLAC encoding/decoding on Vista?  I’m using FLAC Encoder 2.2.2 and FLAC Input Plugin 2.4.0.

Thanks - Michael

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:55:09 am »

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:27:31 am »

Might be worth trying some of the encoded flac files on
an XP box if you've got one, to see if the problem lies
with the encoding or decoding.

mcmCPH

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:56:47 pm »

Let me clarify a bit:  I'm looking for a one-stop solution for lossless encoding that works on 32-bit Vista, and a lossless format that works with Sonos' in-home audio equipment.  Sonos supports Apple Lossless, WAV and FLAC, so MC12 seems like a good solution... and I really love some of the other MC12 features so I'll happily buy the product if I can get my above scenario to work.  I can't use WMP11 / WMAL because Sonos doesn't support it, and I really, really dislike iTunes (it is terrible at finding cover art, for starters) so I don't want to go that route. 

There's about 16 days left in my MC12 eval, as I said I'd love to license the product, but it has to work in my scenario.

WRT the earlier thread responses:

1. I don't think the problem here is DirectSound output on Vista... I'm using that no problem in MC12 and elsewhere.  I set playback output to WAV and the same problems can be heard in the output.

2.  I think it is a problem with FLAC encoding on Vista, so my question is:  Has anybody actually tested FLAC encoding and playback using MC12 on Vista?  Is there a 'positive' test case I can compare with?

I can try and scare up an XP box to try this, and I can try something like EAC with FLAC and see if the same problem occurs, but as I said I really want to one-stop solution on Vista and I hope MC12 is it!

Regards - Michael

scthom

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:57:46 am »

Unfortunately, I don't have a Vista machine, so I can't test it directly.  Hopefully someone will chime in with a positive result.

mcmCPH

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:11:13 am »

Thanks for reply Scott.   As you're the owner of the FLAC codec, what do you think the noise such as 'pops' are symptomatic of?  Would it help if I shared out files? Is there a way to log what is happening during a rip? (I couldn't find that in the UI).

JRiver guys:  What about you?  Is MC12 supported and tested on Vista?  With lossless encoding and playback?

Regards - Michael

JimH

• Administrator
Re: FLAC Encoding Problems on VISTA -- anyone else?
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:16:57 am »

We've been lazy, relying on Scot.  I just changed your subject to try to attract attention.  You could post a link to this thread on the MC12 board.

mcmCPH

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:12 am »

good idea - will x-post a link to this thread.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:31 am »

mcmCPH,

I don't use Vista, but here are some things that you could try.

Enable secure ripping & logging. This thread has more info and useful ripping tips:
Topic: How can I ensure quality of a ripped music file

You should try to make sure that the audible problems are caused by FLAC encoding and not by something else. For example:
- rip a few CDs in some other format and try playback. Use, for example, APE, uncompressed wave or WMA Lossless.
- convert some "good" files that are in some other format to FLAC using MC. This would test only the FLAC encoding part without the ripping part.
- convert some "good" files to FLAC with some other tool (flac.exe, dbpoweramp, foobar2000 etc) and try playback on MC.
- convert some "bad" FLAC files to some other format with MC and try playback.

Actually, you didn't mention if the audible problems are always the same when a "bad" file is played several times. Can you always hear exactly the same clitches at the same positions? If yes, then the problem is probably in the file. If no, then the file is probably fine and the playback system has problems.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mcmCPH

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:46:40 am »

Excellent suggestions Alex - I will try these and report back.

In addition I just updated the RealTek audio driver for this Toshiba laptop.  I have no idea if that could affect things but I will re-rip the CD where I heard problems and see if there is any difference.

Regards - Michael

mcmCPH,

I don't use Vista, but here are some things that you could try.

Enable secure ripping & logging. This thread has more info and useful ripping tips:
Topic: How can I ensure quality of a ripped music file

You should try to make sure that the audible problems are caused by FLAC encoding and not by something else. For example:
- rip a few CDs in some other format and try playback. Use, for example, APE, uncompressed wave or WMA Lossless.
- convert some "good" files that are in some other format to FLAC using MC. This would test only the FLAC encoding part without the ripping part.
- convert some "good" files to FLAC with some other tool (flac.exe, dbpoweramp, foobar2000 etc) and try playback on MC.
- convert some "bad" FLAC files to some other format with MC and try playback.

Actually, you didn't mention if the audible problems are always the same when a "bad" file is played several times. Can you always hear exactly the same clitches at the same positions? If yes, then the problem is probably in the file. If no, then the file is probably fine and the playback system has problems.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:54:05 pm »

I've ripped an old cd single to .flac and converted some .ape files to .flac and the files are all good.

win vista x86
Creative X-Fi Platinum
MC 12.0.308
.flac encoder v2.2.2
.flac decoder v2.4.0

-marko.

mcmCPH

• Recent member
Solved: FLAC/Lossless on Vista with MC12 - Anybody have a good solution?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »

as I posted on another thread:  FLAC encoding and decoding on Vista seems to work fine... it was my mistake!

Thanks to those who tried to help me out here.

Ahem   ;D - Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up