INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhat OT - Vista Finally Comes Out of Beta  (Read 725 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Somewhat OT - Vista Finally Comes Out of Beta
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:40:21 am »

Microsoft still isn't commenting on when a beta of Service Pack 1 for Vista will be officially released (our money is on November), but the company has posted two updates that are expected to be part of that final package: the "performance and reliability" update and the "compatibility and reliability" update. These are official releases.

The quick and dirty: Explorer file transfer (copy/move) slowness looks to have been fixed (finally), hibernate and sleep now actually work as advertised (at least on my Toshiba R400), and a load of video card support issues have been rolled up. For those of you keeping track, the MD5 hashes on these updates match those that were leaked last week.

More here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070807-vista-performance-and-compatibility-packs-released.html

The two updates are here for now, and will be on Windows Update soon I expect: "Compatibility and Reliability" and "Performance and Reliability".

Word from the Ars writer is that the file transfer bug does really appear to be at least mostly quashed.  He wrote:

The big kicker, however, is the "file transfer" problem, which Microsoft describes as follows:

When you copy or move a large file, the "estimated time remaining" takes a long time to be calculated and displayed.

Those of you who have run into this problem know it by its true description: "takes forever just to copy a few hundred megabytes of data!" With the patch installed, file copying is certainly faster in my testing but still doesn't feel as fast as it should be. Nevertheless, it is a major improvement in my opinion.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Somewhat OT - Vista Finally Comes Out of Beta
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »

Glynor, thanks for the tip. I have been waiting for this Explorer fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up