INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why My Database Keeps Disappearing?  (Read 1016 times)

trandal

Why My Database Keeps Disappearing?
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:28:26 pm »

Can someone please explain to me why my database has disappeared multiple times?  I have built a database which included all thumbnails, added data from user defined fields, etc.  And now it is all gone.  I looked at the data files stored in "Application Data" and all of a sudden the folder changed from over 11 GB to 8MB.  Some of the user fields that I created still exist but they are from a much earlier time.  I have backed up my database before but when I restore from it the database looks no different.  It is as the backup process does not collect any data at all.  The only thing that I am aware of is the application did have a new update for PDT but I can not understand why an update would cause over 13 GB of data to be removed.  This is not the first time that this has happen but with my database managing nearly 400,000 images and videos you can understand how long it takes to rebuild all the thumbnails.  Please help..............................

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Why My Database Keeps Disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:15 pm »

No idea.  Hardware problem?  Are your files on a network drive?

MC makes automated backups. You could try restoring one.

More details might help.  Version.  Setup, etc.

trandal

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:47:53 pm »

The version that I am running is 12.0.318 which just installed the new upgrade for Portable Devices.  The hardware am using is functioning and other applications using this hardware have not been effected.  The images and videos I have are on a networked drive but the actual library files are stored on my laptop's hard drive along with MC's installation.  I do see where MC created it automatic backups but they are no different from the manual backup that I ran which was more recent.  However one thing I have noticed is the backup files do not grow as more data/files are added to my library.  This problem seems to happen when an application upgrade is done from within the application "Check for Upgrades" and not when I execute exe's that I have downloaded from the forum.  I have searched my hard drive for the old thumbnail files but they no longer exist.  I have saved the log files just in case.  One question that may help is what data is actually included in the backup?  Is it just tag or library data, are the thumbnails info not included?

trandal

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:58:14 pm »

Another thing I can offer is I my main network drive that I use can be both wired and wireless.  Because my library is large it is quicker sometimes to run "Auto-Import" or "Build Thumbnails" while the drive is wired to my laptop.  The 1TB drive is partitioned into 4 drives and each drive keeps it's same drive letter regardless of being wired or not.  Could this be the issue?  Does the library maintain the UNC or drive letter or both?  I can see how this maybe the reason for thumbnails being erased when Auto-Import runs, but last night I manually added new library fields and populated them with data but after the "Auto-Import" or upgrade that data no longer exists.  If there is anything else I can provide please let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up