INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD Touch and MC 12 - Will it ever work?  (Read 1685 times)

jl0810

• Recent member
IPOD Touch and MC 12 - Will it ever work?
« on: September 22, 2007, 01:57:48 pm »

So I know Apple is completely screwing us here  >:( but is there any ETA when one could reasonablly assume MC 12 will work with the new Touch?   I had to leave Media Center for a brief hiatus with ITUNES (God, do I hate it), but looking forward to leaving the dark side and coming back to the best media manager out there. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: IPOD Touch and MC 12 - Will it ever work?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 03:12:15 pm »

No idea yet.  We think it's possible now.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:38:30 pm »

So I know Apple is completely screwing us here  >:( but is there any ETA when one could reasonablly assume MC 12 will work with the new Touch?   I had to leave Media Center for a brief hiatus with ITUNES (God, do I hate it), but looking forward to leaving the dark side and coming back to the best media manager out there. 

Use MC to manage your library properly for instance I used it to save the name and artist fields in user made fields. then I changed the track names to be name - artist for compilations, so that they would show up properly in the Ipod Classic (the artist was then changed to compilation)...

I only use Itunes for the bare minimum.

What I want on the Ipod I simply make a playlist, and export that. I import that into Itunes, then use that to sync to my Ipod Classic.

The only caveat is that I never have both the ITunes and MC up at the same time to avoid issues with the ipod, database etc.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:00:43 pm »

I feel your pain. I had to use iTunes for 3 days when MC12 didn't support iPod Classic and I did hate it. I used iTunes to sync to my media but I didn't want iTunes to change any files. I used a couple of work-arounds during that time that may help you.

The first work-around was basically to import all media files in iTunes via a read-only shared folder (read-only to make sure that iTunes do not muck around with your tags etc.). And then use iTunes to sync it. This will work if all your music/media files are in format that is supported by iTunes. Suppose you have all your media in some directory, say, C:\Media. First, you have to make it a read-only windows share and mount it as a drive. To make this folder a shared folder. Right click on the folder, click on Sharing and then say Share this folder. Make sure that it is read only permission. Now, mount this as a drive by running a command net use M: \\yourmachinename\C:\Media. Now import M: folder to iTunes and then use it to sync to iPod.

The second work-around was the one that will work if you have many media in format that is not supported by iTunes (e.g. FLAC). In this case, create some directory, say C:\iTunesFolder. Now, map this directory as a handheld in MC12 (read wiki on how to do that if you don't already know). Now, sync what you want on your iPod to this directory mounted as handheld (of course, with conversion to supported formats e.g. MP3 for FLAC). Now, import this directory in iTunes and use it to sync.

In both of these ways, you can use MC12 to organize/edit your media library and they should be automatically visible to iTunes. The only downside is that you can't get play-counts from your iPod back to your MC12 library.

Osho

Pages: [1]   Go Up