INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New computer: why require MC11 install?  (Read 865 times)

twriter

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
New computer: why require MC11 install?
« on: October 20, 2007, 10:16:40 pm »

Just wondering why you'd require a MC install to upgrade to MC12. I have a new computer, and practically, space isn't really a consideration (2 500 GB hard drives), but (a) as a longtime user of PCs (I got my first one, an 80286, in 1990 a few months before my summer job at Microsoft), I know that few companies put much effort into the uninstall programs, leaving droppings all over the hard drive and in the Registry, and (b) why put users through such a PITA experience, especially when you're charging money for functionality that many other programs (Media Player, iTunes, and more) offer for free? (That said, I have long recommended Media Center, nee Media Jukebox, because I've found it to be a superior program, usability quirks notwithstanding.)

So if you're a verified user of a past version, why can't you just install MC12, enter that verification, and get the upgrade price? Why do you want to make it more difficult for me to give you money?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: New computer: why require MC11 install?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:49:54 am »

You say "If you are a verified user". The way we verify users is by having a licensed Media Center installation.
Sorry it's a pain for you...

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New computer: why require MC11 install?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:59:11 am »

MC11 is only required in order to install the MC11 license.  After you upgrade to MC12, you can uninstall MC11.
Pages: [1]   Go Up