INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Problems and Questions  (Read 3181 times)

tbob19

• Recent member
Video Problems and Questions
« on: November 10, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »

Okay, first off I really like this player and have been using it for about a week, but I am having some problems with it and this is preventing me from buying it just yet.

1. Not all of my video files would import (certain MKV files, not all). I fixed this by changing the files that it would show to this:
-[Filename (path)]="M:\music" -[File Type]=[jpg] -[File Type]=[txt] -[File Type]=[pdf] ~sort=[Artist],[File Type],[Filename],[Date],[Name]

Now all of my videos are imported, but Media Center does not see them all as videos.

2. Even though the videos are in the library when I click on them to play, they will not add to the Now Playing list, thus I cannot play them, again these are the same videos that would not add to the library before (mostly MKV's).
I have found a workaround for this, what I have to do is navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer and just drag that file to the Playing Now list and then it plays just fine.
This is very annoying, I end up not even using the library because I don't even know if the file will add or not.

3. When Media Center is gathering the thumbnails for the Video Files (it has to open each file and take a screenshot) the computer slows to a halt, thus making me end Media Center.
I have found a workaround for this, and that is renaming JRWorker.exe to something else (ex. JRWorker1.exe).

But this is not good enough, I would really like to be able to have thumbnails on my files.
There should be some way to change the priority of JRWorker.exe on start-up or something. I have already changed the priority of JRWorker.exe in the Task Manager but that did not seem to help anything, it still slows to a halt when it is gathering the Thumbnails for the Video Files.

4. Last.Fm would not scrobble files in the newest version of Media Center (12.0.329) so I went back to an older version (12.0.318).

As far as the audio part goes, this player is flawless, it plays every file I have (over 20,000 songs) and I use mostly FLAC so that support is nice.

But the real reason I am using this player is because of the Video Library support (no other player I know of has both good video and audio support) I have over 3000 videos in my library and they are mostly encoded in MKV (h264,x264,xvid), AVI(xvid,h264,divx), and OGM (divx,xvid), with AAC, MP3, and OGG audio.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with Media Center 12
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:30:40 pm »

If the files weren't imported as video, you can edit the "Media Type" in the tag.

You can pause a video and right click to grab a screenshot and add a thumbnail.  Some filetypes won't work because MC may be using a playback engine like Quicktime.

tbob19

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 05:48:19 pm »

If the files weren't imported as video, you can edit the "Media Type" in the tag.

You can pause a video and right click to grab a screenshot and add a thumbnail.  Some filetypes won't work because MC may be using a playback engine like Quicktime.

Yes, I did that with quite a few files already. I do not have any quicktime files (that need to be in my libaray), so no problem there.

Still the biggest problem is the files that won't add to the Playing Now list from the library. I noticed that if i move the files around on the HDD and run auto-import sometimes they will play or if I have a DVD full of files and the files will not add to playing now when I go to the DVD drive through media player, if I copy the files over to my HDD sometimes they will add.

Just to make it clear I have no problems playing ANY of my files as long as I add them from Explorer, so there are no problems with my codecs.

Maybe I should nuke the library and start over.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 05:55:30 pm »

Did you try changing the Media Type?

tbob19

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:33:12 pm »

Did you try changing the Media Type?

Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks! One major problem out of the way! Any idea on the thumbnail gathering and priority handling for JRworker.exe?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Video Problems and Questions
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:43:34 pm »

I'm not the expert on thumbnails, but if you click on Tools->Options, then Tree & View, under thumbnails, choose "Build missing", then leave it alone for a few hours, it should rebuild all missing. Do it before going to sleep one night. I'm not sure why it isn't behaving better, I'll take a look on Monday.

j

tbob19

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:43:47 pm »

I'm not the expert on thumbnails, but if you click on Tools->Options, then Tree & View, under thumbnails, choose "Build missing", then leave it alone for a few hours, it should rebuild all missing. Do it before going to sleep one night. I'm not sure why it isn't behaving better, I'll take a look on Monday.

j

I see. Also is there any way to set where it grabs the thumbnail from in the video (ex. 5 minutes in) or something similar.

rjm

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:08:43 am »

I see. Also is there any way to set where it grabs the thumbnail from in the video (ex. 5 minutes in) or something similar.

I am not aware of an automatic way to this however you can do it manually.

Play the video and at the point you want the thumbnail right click on the display and select Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail.

Please be aware that these screengrab thumbnails are stored in the JRiver Program Files directory which makes backup and library syncing between computers a pain. And a double pain when JRiver makes a major rev to the software because screengrab data is not moved to the new Program Files directory during the upgrade process. And you cannot manually move the data. Because of this I no longer use this feature.

tbob19

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 02:16:40 am »

I am not aware of an automatic way to this however you can do it manually.

Play the video and at the point you want the thumbnail right click on the display and select Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail.

Please be aware that these screengrab thumbnails are stored in the JRiver Program Files directory which makes backup and library syncing between computers a pain. And a double pain when JRiver makes a major rev to the software because screengrab data is not moved to the new Program Files directory during the upgrade process. And you cannot manually move the data. Because of this I no longer use this feature.

Yeah, I am not doing that to 3000+ files.

That stinks. It really is a nice feature, but it seems to have some issues yet. I guess I should be happy that I found a player that plays both all of my Audio and Video files, even if there seems to be a few problems here and there.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:59:59 am »

it is not elegant, and a bit work but what i do now when there are a bunch of screencaps in the program files directory, i make a smartlist with the files that have the screengrab there. export the playlist as mjr file. copy the files to my dvd thumbs map on E:. open the mjr file in notepad and change the link to the imagefile using find replace. import the mjr file again. ofcourse i first make a backup of the library.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 01:32:48 pm »

it is not elegant, and a bit work but what i do now when there are a bunch of screencaps in the program files directory, i make a smartlist with the files that have the screengrab there. export the playlist as mjr file. copy the files to my dvd thumbs map on E:. open the mjr file in notepad and change the link to the imagefile using find replace. import the mjr file again. ofcourse i first make a backup of the library.

This is a great tip, thanks! Nice to know there is a work around.

I am not an expert on smartlists. Can you give me a clue how to create a smartlist that isolates the video files with screencaps?

gappie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 03:48:57 pm »

This is a great tip, thanks! Nice to know there is a work around.

I am not an expert on smartlists. Can you give me a clue how to create a smartlist that isolates the video files with screencaps?
make a new smartlist. open the smartlist wizzard.
say: media type      is         video
add new rule
image file        starts with         c:

this should give you the videoos with imagefiles somewhere on the c drive.

good luck
gab

rjm

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 06:58:51 pm »

Thanks!

tbob19

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:42:39 pm »

I am having a weird problem.. I hook up my Gogear mp3 player and Media Center will not detect it no matter what I do, it used to work fine, however it just stopped working. I can add files manually or with WMP without any problems. ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 06:57:31 am »

MC can redetect your devices.  Try Tools/Options/Handhelds/Advanced/Redetect devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up