INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.374  (Read 6508 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.374
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:32:53 pm »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
[build pulled for cover art and conversion problems -- JimH]

12.0.374 (11/15/07)

1. Fixed: Podcasts would not properly be included in a deivce sync. (only affects a few builds)
2. Fixed: iPod database upgraded to iTunes 7.5 format.
3. Fixed: Podcasts sync'd with MC to iPods were not listed when viewed in iTunes.
4. Changed: Added warning message when an incompatible iPod database format is detected.
5. Fixed: Cover art could not be extracted from tags in some cases.

12.0.373 (11/14/07)

1. Changed: The MCC's for rotating images no longer require a number of degrees as the parameter.
2. Changed: Pressing play in Theater View with something other than the file list focused will still route the command to the file list.
3. Fixed: Overriding keyboard shortcuts wouldn't always work if the shortcut was in the default resource.xml file.
4. Changed: When overriding a keyboard shortcut, putting no command allows a keyboard shortcut to be disabled.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Media Center 12.0.374
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:47:47 pm »

What is the shortcut override feature?  Is there something explaining what it is and how it works?  Sounds interesting.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:54:11 pm »

regarding Coverart: I have just tried to get coverart on recently ripped CD's stored INSIDE my APE files, rather than in the specified folder. I did this by using the command "Copy first image to clipboard", and then "Paste Coverart from Clipboard". 

However, this did not fix it. Art is still not stored internally.

Any other clues?

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
  • What if we built a Large Wooden Badger.....
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:07 pm »

regarding Coverart: I have just tried to get coverart on recently ripped CD's stored INSIDE my APE files, rather than in the specified folder. I did this by using the command "Copy first image to clipboard", and then "Paste Coverart from Clipboard". 

However, this did not fix it. Art is still not stored internally.

Any other clues?

bprip - Did you try the fix that Matt posted in this thread (I put the text of what he wrote below)?  Seems like it is the same issue you are talking about.

I think we found the issue.  The APE and FLAC plugins were trying to extract image files to a directory that didn't exist.  That didn't work, so we were never able to get the image back out of the tag.

To test this theory, create "JRTemp" under the temp folder on your machine.  It should start working then.  For XP, the full path should look like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Temp\JRTemp

Recently we made this change, but it didn't make it to the input plugins that don't use the JRiver shared code:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43438.50 (his post is reply #75)

edbro

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:13:36 pm »

bprip - Did you try the fix that Matt posted in this thread (I put the text of what he wrote below)?  Seems like it is the same issue you are talking about.
I thought that was a temporary workaround until this build was released.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 04:50:58 am »

I thought that was a temporary workaround until this build was released.

Exactly - thats what I thought...

BBrip

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 06:54:12 am »

I'm posting this here, since it's a issue that showed up in the recent builds.

Would it be possible to get [Media Sub Type] set as a field that, when changed, results in re-synchronization with a handheld/iPod?  I've a few podcasts that require manual [Media Sub Type] setting, but if they've already been uploaded to my iPod, it doesn't seem reload them unless I tweak another field.

What determines the [Media Sub Type] anyway?  Does it originate with the podcast itself, or is MC12 supposed to automatically tag anything that's downloaded via RSS?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 08:48:12 pm »

After upgrading to 12.0.374, some podcasts are not getting tagged with the length and bitrate.  Update library from file tags doesn't pull them in either.  The files actually have a length when they play, just not in the tags.

htpcplayer

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 09:00:08 pm »

I'm running windows 2000 with all updates (IE6/DX9C/etc) and I can't edit ID tags with this version. 

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 07:14:26 am »

Would it be possible to get [Media Sub Type] set as a field that, when changed, results in re-synchronization with a handheld/iPod?  I've a few podcasts that require manual [Media Sub Type] setting, but if they've already been uploaded to my iPod, it doesn't seem reload them unless I tweak another field.

What determines the [Media Sub Type] anyway?  Does it originate with the podcast itself, or is MC12 supposed to automatically tag anything that's downloaded via RSS?

This has occurred to me as well -- that changing the Media Sub Type should flag a file for re-synching.

On this note, now that the Media Sub Type is being utilized for more situations, it seems like there should be a way to have it applied automatically to certain Genres.  At the moment, if you don't know to specifically edit this field, you won't have bookmarking functionality with many files.  I fear that many people will never know that mp3 audiobooks (or podcasts that weren't downloaded via an actual RSS feed) can bookmark in MC or on iPods -- they simply won't realize that they have to go in and change the Media Sub Type field in order to get this functionality.  Might there be a way of "linking" certain genres to certain Media Sub Types so that users don't have to "do" anything in order to get this added functionality?  Bookmarking is a fantastic feature, but I'm afraid that the only people that will get to appreciate it are the "power users."

Larry

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:59:08 am »

This has occurred to me as well -- that changing the Media Sub Type should flag a file for re-synching.

On this note, now that the Media Sub Type is being utilized for more situations, it seems like there should be a way to have it applied automatically to certain Genres.  At the moment, if you don't know to specifically edit this field, you won't have bookmarking functionality with many files.  I fear that many people will never know that mp3 audiobooks (or podcasts that weren't downloaded via an actual RSS feed) can bookmark in MC or on iPods -- they simply won't realize that they have to go in and change the Media Sub Type field in order to get this functionality.  Might there be a way of "linking" certain genres to certain Media Sub Types so that users don't have to "do" anything in order to get this added functionality?  Bookmarking is a fantastic feature, but I'm afraid that the only people that will get to appreciate it are the "power users."

Larry

Agreed.

Perhaps a way to create rules, like in Outlook and many other programs, that are run during import?  If the [genre] of a file is Podcast, then the [Media Sub Type] is Podcast, or if a file is imported from a particular location, certain genres could be preset.  It would solve quite a few problems for me, but I'm not sure how many other people would be interested.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 09:30:17 am »

My coverart problem reported before is solved!!  I had to tick "update tags in files" under the options menu and I now get the coverart stored inside the file as well as in the coverart folder.   :)

BBrip

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 04:37:55 pm »

I've moved the posts on failures with iPod sync and conversions to a new thread here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43513.0

and the memory usage problem is here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43515.0

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 07:19:55 pm »

After upgrading to 12.0.374, some podcasts are not getting tagged with the length and bitrate.  Update library from file tags doesn't pull them in either.  The files actually have a length when they play, just not in the tags.

Same problem here.  Some MP3s are being imported without duration, sample rate, bit depth, bitrate, channels, and compression.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 08:42:30 pm »

Same problem here.  Some MP3s are being imported without duration, sample rate, bit depth, bitrate, channels, and compression.

When you say "some mp3s," do you mean files OTHER than Podcasts?  From the previous post, I was under the impression that this was just effecting Podcasts, so it seems important to note whether or not you're seeing this with OTHER types of files.

Thanks,

Larry

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 08:49:26 pm »

When you say "some mp3s," do you mean files OTHER than Podcasts?  From the previous post, I was under the impression that this was just effecting Podcasts, so it seems important to note whether or not you're seeing this with OTHER types of files.

Yeah.  Two files this evening that were imported using the auto-import cycle came out without that information.  Both were long MP3s, about 90 minutes long.  I also had a podcast, imported via RSS, do the same thing tonight.  On the other hand, I imported a whole album of songs that came in just fine, as well as three other podcasts.

And I've had this happen with video files for years, but it never really bugged me much.  But audio is a whole different matter.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 03:01:36 am »

As you mention video: Yes, I noticed the same thing on video: Some of my MP4 files get updated with length and bitrate, others don't. Can not figure outr any logic to it as all the files are encoded with the same codec (Nero AVC).

Nevber bothered me too much but as we are now on the topic, would of course be great to have it fixed.  :D

Thanks
BBRip

phoenix91

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 03:16:21 am »

Version .374 breaks the 'Copy Image' confirmation message when adding coverart from file to .ape files.
Resetting all confirmation messages under |Option|General| did not help.
After switching back to version .372 the message is back again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 05:31:30 am »

This build may have cover art related problems when it tries to change, add or update embedded cover art or convert file formats. After some of these operations some users have lost the ability to access cover art which is embedded in the audio file's tag.

If you use this build and embedded cover art make sure you have your media file back ups up-to-date before doing any tagging related operations and avoid mass-tagging the files until the problem is resolved.

Naturally, it would be good to get more information about these problems. Please report here or for example in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43511.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Omni

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 05:55:18 am »

If you use this build and embedded cover art make sure you have your media file back ups up-to-date before doing any tagging related operations and avoid mass-tagging the files until the problem is resolved.
That's always a great disclaimer, but for most people, our media files are the backups--the original being the actual CDs. :P  (I don't know about you, but backing up half a terabyte of backups--er, rips--is too much to require for a long-lived, professional product such as MC.)

Anyway, I'm really just responding to say that I'm having these problems with v.12.0.372, so JRiver, please don't limit your scope of investigation to changes made only in 374.  Thanks.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Add to Playing now (play next)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 09:46:55 am »

When selected Options->General->Behavior->Double-click: Add to playing now (play next).
A double click inside MC inserts the media file into the playlist correctly. When doing a double click from Windows Explorer the file is added to the end of the playlist instead of inserting and playing it next.

thx

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 01:08:51 pm »

What is the shortcut override feature?  Is there something explaining what it is and how it works?  Sounds interesting.

This does sound interesting. How does it work and where do I find it to configure it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Add to Playing now (play next)
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 01:28:48 pm »

When selected Options->General->Behavior->Double-click: Add to playing now (play next).
A double click inside MC inserts the media file into the playlist correctly. When doing a double click from Windows Explorer the file is added to the end of the playlist instead of inserting and playing it next.

thx

That setting only controls double-click from inside Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 02:13:14 pm »

Handheld Options set to "Convert Unsupported Formats"

Supported Formats set to "mp3"

When I sync my handhelds MC states that it is Converting even though the files are already mp3 files.
. . . the game is rigged

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 02:47:41 pm »

I've also seen this this weekend a few times but did not document it so I'll keep an eye out.

...Michel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up