INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP4 on network shared drive  (Read 1863 times)

buckeyehd

• Recent member
MP4 on network shared drive
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:58:00 am »

hello:
i am trying to import my mp4 files on a network share  into the database, with no luck, I have looked at the help files and still no luck , anyone have ideas?

Robo983

• World Citizen
Re: MP4 on network shared drive
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21:34 pm »

I do this and haven't had any problems. One thing I remember when I first started using MC is that when you select a folder to import from the tools menu and browse to to folder is that you have to review the extensive table of file types below the folder browser. You can verify that it can import MP4 by double click on it or drag it to MC from Windows Explorer. Unless that feature is disabled MC will add it to the library and play the file. To be sure make sure the Quicktime one is checked under video for the Import Folder table and the File Associations in the Options menu.

I was a little confused as a new user that just because I picked Quicktime under file association in options that it would import MP4s. You actually have to review that list on the import everytime if you do a manual import. If you are using the auto import check the box in that options area.

buckeyehd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:07 am »

hello: thanks for the help, I still have an issue, i have about 170 mp4's files, and it only inported 26 of the total directory, any ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:01:20 am »

Have you verified that the problem is related to the network location? (As a test, you could copy a problematic file to a local folder and try importing from there.)

You didn't say anything about the file contents. Are they video or audio? Do all files contain similar data?

Possibly the problem is caused by
-- the file name length limitation if you use QuickTime for decoding (unfortunately Apple's QuickTime for Windows does not work with filenames that contain more than 63 characters).
or
-- a missing or bad DirectShow filter if you use the DirectShow decoding system.

You can find info about DirectShow, QuickTime and the MP4 file format here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
and here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:37:28 am »

In addition to the things Alex mentioned, check:

1. Make sure you are using the newest version of MC.  The current version is posted at the top of this board in the "stickied" thread.  There was a bug fixed a long while back that related to importing MP4 files from a network share.  This really was a while ago, but if you happen to be using an old build, that could be it.

2. Check for the MP4 files under the Documents item in the Tree View.  Occasionally, MC incorrectly detects MP4 files and files them under Documents.  This is easy to change if they are in there (simply change the Media Type tag to "Video" in the Tag Action Window).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

buckeyehd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:34 am »

i have found the missing mp4's there are under the documents area, but I am having no success in relabeling them to video, what am I doing wrong?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:44 am »

I think your problem is similar to this one:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44602.0

buckeyehd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:32:31 am »

Hello: I still am having a problem w/ .mp4's files. I moved 2 files to a local directory, and cleared the DB, it will only import 1 of the 2 mp4's. I even renamed and still only 1 out of 2. It acts as if the second file does not even exist. I can use VLC media player for both files located either on the network or local with no problems,I have indicated that during import that all vide ???o formats are selected, I am totally at a loss for
a solution!!. Any Idea, Help Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:12 am »

As a test, could you move the problem file to a new local folder (do this outside MC and make sure that the filename is shorter than 63 characters including the space characters), drag the file to Playing Now and try to play it? Report how it went.

EDIT

Disable the Auto-Import feature before proceeding.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

buckeyehd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 07:59:28 am »

hello: thanks for the help!

this is what I tried:

make directory  c:\test
moved file    furious.mp4  to above directory

Open directory, found file dragged to playing now!

there must be something different about certain mp4's I have, but what they all play fine with nero, vlc, windows media player, this is the only software that I have bought, that is giving me trouble, and not fun anymore
(sorry) any help we be great.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:07:22 am »

If they play in WMP, you can set MC to use WMP to play video (at the upper left corner of the DirectShow options page).
Pages: [1]   Go Up