INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we offered to host a free web page to share your media world, would you use it?

No.  I don't want one
- 18 (26.5%)
No.  I already have one
- 8 (11.8%)
Maybe
- 19 (27.9%)
Probably
- 15 (22.1%)
Definitely
- 8 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Your Own MC Web Page?  (Read 4870 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: Your Own MC Web Page?
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:59:17 am »

Without doing anything illegal, we might provide a way for you to share as much as you want about how you use media, Media Center, your life, your loves.  It would be a real (and free) web page with a location like:

www.jrmediacenter.com/~JimH

Too boring?  Too much work?  Too little time?  Talk to us.  Tell us what you want.

We're looking for ways to integrate Interact, Pix01, and MC.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: POLL: Your Own MC Web Page?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:04:34 pm »

A social media site?  My friends have been talking about starting a social networking site.

BTW: doesn't look like the page is working.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »

i guess it depends how the integration is done and what the possebilities are, but i think it is a nice idea.
 :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »

i guess it depends how the integration is done and what the possebilities are ...

The possibilities are pretty much anything. 

gappie's page

Pictures of my last trip.  My street.  My location.

My cat

My favorite bar

Other sites I visit

Other software I like

My MC machine(s)

Screenshots

MC Tips

Favorite threads

Favorite MC feature

My bank account number

JimH's home phone number

Artists I like

Places I buy media

Beer

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:55:16 pm »

Honestly, something like that wouldn't interest me too much. We already have myspace, facebook, etc. for that. I've got accounts on each, and I never use any of them. But that's just me. I know that they're really popular.

Something similar to what DVD Profiler does, like http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Doof would be kinda cool.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:58:48 pm »

So maybe MC could automatically populate a page or two as part of your site?  That's a little last.fm-ish, isn't it?

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »

If you set up a nice template with those things so it's just to add some text and pictures, sure.
Some way to sync most played, most played artist etc from MC. Also a list of all artists, albums etc. DVDProfiler style as Doof said.
And the ability to post your smartlists directly from MC maby? Easy adding picture links from pix01. This could be interesting.

Make a short intro to MC, so my friends could visit the page and I could just sit back, take that beer and relax.
I would print that URL on my business card.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »

Sorry.  I see that it's just an example location web address.

I think it has promise.  The question is: if Jim's number is listed?  I have some sort of number to contact him if I ever need to.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:37:21 pm »

So maybe MC could automatically populate a page or two as part of your site?  That's a little last.fm-ish, isn't it?

Yeah, something like that could be cool. I just know I'm not the type to go and manually update a website all the time, or keep a blog. Anybody who's visited my site could tell you that. ;)

gappie

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »

The possibilities are pretty much anything. 

gappie's page

Pictures of my last trip.  My street.  My location.

My cat

My favorite bar

Other sites I visit

Other software I like

My MC machine(s)

Screenshots

MC Tips

Favorite threads

Favorite MC feature

My bank account number

JimH's home phone number

Artists I like

Places I buy media

Beer

i would actualy like that. i also have my own website, but it has not been updated for centuries. gappie. com  :)
and im on hyves. but for that kind of things, easely updated with the pix01 pics etc, could be nice.

johnnyboy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:25:43 pm »

To be honest it just sounds a bit like another networking type site which would give me just one more site I would have to keep updated which in reality wouldn't happen.

If you have a spare webdesigner with some spare time I'd personally feel a much better use of that time would be to create a bunch of template layouts that we could use when creating websites from our photo's from within MC.

I dont really see a gain of what you are suggesting - my support questions have little to do with my photo's and to be honest, they usually go onto facebook because thats where my friends are so easiest place for me to put them to share them with my friends.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »

When you put it that way, a spare web designer could revamp the library web interface.

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:18:09 pm »

I kinda agree with the two gentlemen above. If you have some spare time on your hand, I would rather that you concentrated on a good web/pda/smartphone library design or layout designs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22:59 pm »

I kinda agree with the two gentlemen above. If you have some spare time on your hand, I would rather that you concentrated on a good web/pda/smartphone library design or layout designs.
It wouldn't be the only thing we're doing.  We have other plans, as well.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

I'd like to see this if it were very MC12-centric, and could display (with some level(s) of access control):
  • Your entire library (I like the idea of being able to easily lookup - or allow others to - my library from anywhere)
  • Photos - basically what you're already doing, but in a more unified way with the MC site overall
  • Possibly other media

The key to this webpage (for me) is to allow MC to be able to have it upload, update the website automagically. I would like to be able to set a tag or keyword or have someother means of identifying data/files that would be updated on the website without having to go through a manual process to upload particular albums or whatever. -- Basically I just want some automated smarts to make it EASY. It's hard enough trying to keep the library up to date and organised, let alone trying to remember what album is loaded on to what site etc. This is especially the case if the wife wants to start uploading her photos without me having to vett the photos and then manually push the photos to the web every time.

Another feature could be to have an API(?) or something that would allow easy integration with other popular sites and web packages to enable info to be referenced from other websites, so that only the MC website need be updated.

I'm sure I'll think of more soon.

C.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »

Right now the only part of my library that I'm interested in sharing, that is legal, is my family photos. I know there are a lot of other sites out there to do this now, but the problem with those sites is the lack of syncing with MC (tags, new photos, etc). If an MC centric side provided a good way to share my photo library such that it stays in sync with the web site (and allows tagging, commenting, etc on the web) that would be very nice.

One thing to keep in mind is that, at least for me, I'd want to share all my photos. That's something like 6000 so far, and growing. The service would be a lot less interesting if it was cost prohibitive for me to do that. Also, one other reason I'm seriously considering using some other photo sharing site is to be able to have a complete off-site backup of my photos. That means that the web versions would have to be in the original format and not downscaled or compressed. That means for you that you'd need a lot of storage.

One way to help pay for it all would be to have relationships with printing companies (photos, mugs, mouse pads, etc) that gives you a percentage.

benn600

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »

It wouldn't be the only thing we're doing.  We have other plans, as well.

Exactly from my experience at work with several projects going on all the time... my boss always says, "Everything is a priority."

I really am interested in web based stuff because that is my main area of expertise at this point.  I would like to suggest offering a more library server type way to access media.  Imagine if a web interface (with username and password) gave you access like Orb does.  On the fly conversion and displaying of audio, images, and video.

And any DVD additional features are always appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:02 pm »

The key to this webpage (for me) is to allow MC to be able to have it upload, update the website automagically.
Yes.  That's it.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 08:40:37 am »

It would be nice if it were open enough to be able to embed in other social networking sites too. Ala, lastfm integration with facebook.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:42 am »

I would be very cautious in 'advertising' my ripped collection of CD and DVD media.  No sense giving RIAA any pointers who to go after next.

Doesn't matter if you own the originals or not, doesn't matter if you're 'innocent'.  A defense of an RIAA lawsuit can cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars even if you win.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 10:51:52 am »

I don't think you'd be exposed.  Your IP address isn't displayed anywhere here.

We might also add the ability to play a sample from someone else's server, then buy an MP3 or a movie download from Amazon (for example).

benn600

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 10:57:55 am »

I agree too.  I'd rather keep my collection -- no matter how 100% legal it is I don't think I'd want it public. 

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:03 am »

Then just don't enable the function. I'm sure nobody will force you...
I think it will be a nice function for those who don't care of the extremly slim chance someone's gonna bust you. One of them are me, my self and my super on-the-fly encrypted raid array.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »

Could be a nice idea, but in practice I suspect it'll turn into a money sink that can never compete with the multitude of other sharing sites out there  :)
A slight divergance from this, but perhaps you could alter your code a little to produce HTML picture etc. albums that can either be uploaded to your own webspace or burnt to a disk? Disks with a nice little interface & menu that can be automatically created & played on any PC with an internet browser would be a big lure for a lot of less technical users.

Cheers

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »

I've removed some feature requests and other off topic posts.

Overall, it looks like 1/3 hate the idea, 1/3 think it might have promise, and 1/3 don't have a strong opinion either way.

Thanks for the feedback.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 02:26:43 pm »

That would be like reinventing the wheel.
What would be a better way to spend resources would be to create a cross platform widget for facebook, osx, myspace, windows sidebar, google etc.
That way you would also promote MC better.

I already have profiles on last.fm flixter facebook etc. I cant possibly summon the strength to create another "profile" for a long long time..

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »

That would be like reinventing the wheel.
What would be a better way to spend resources would be to create a cross platform widget for facebook, osx, myspace, windows sidebar, google etc.
That way you would also promote MC better.

I already have profiles on last.fm flixter facebook etc. I cant possibly summon the strength to create another "profile" for a long long time..
We may not do it, and it wouldn't be for everyone, but suppose you wanted to put up a new visualization or skin or tips on how to organize media or a few MC screenshots?  Alex B, Marko, and glynor, as examples, have written volumes of helpful stuff.  It might be useful to have some of it centralized.  Benn600 deserves a hardware channel of his own.  KingSparta's world is endless.  None of these fit with facebook.

There is a great community here, but it's one primarily of words.  It might be nice to have some illustrations, too.  What would "Goldilocks" or "The Seven Dwarfs" have been without pictures?

And remember, we're just talking here.  No action implied.

pank2002

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 03:39:33 pm »

I actually agree with runemail. It would be quite cool to have some kind of MC widget. On the other hand, PlayingNow can already do something like this. PN can upload a image containing playing now info. Did J River not buy the PN plugin a while back? Maybe "social" features could be added to PN?

Jim,
I see your point. It would certainly be interesting to dig into some of the users' expertise. On the other hand, I would tend to think stuff like that belongs on the wiki. More authors can contribute to this. Generally, we (as in, the users) should spend more time building the wiki.
Some wiki pages can be locked, so only selected users can contribute to it.

I would put my money on the wiki rather than personal pages. If you would not mind hosting users' stuff I think some kind of advance widget would be nice. One might be able to do something similar with last.fm.  I do not know. . .
-Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

gappie

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:12 pm »

We may not do it, and it wouldn't be for everyone, but suppose you wanted to put up a new visualization or skin or tips on how to organize media or a few MC screenshots?  Alex B, Marko, and glynor, as examples, have written volumes of helpful stuff.  It might be useful to have some of it centralized.  Benn600 deserves a hardware channel of his own.  KingSparta's world is endless.  None of these fit with facebook.

There is a great community here, but it's one primarily of words.  It might be nice to have some illustrations, too.  What would "Goldilocks" or "The Seven Dwarfs" have been without pictures?

And remember, we're just talking here.  No action implied.
yeah, that is what i would like. an extension of mc. not necessarily another social network. for that stuff i still prefer the place here just around the corner. but a place which integrates pix01 and other mc stuff in a site.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 10:24:53 am »

The world definitely does not need another stand-alone 'this is me' or social networking site.

But a plugin to Facebook (the one i use) or others would be great. One that is populated by my MC library and usage....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 10:30:06 am »

The world definitely does not need another stand-alone 'this is me' or social networking site.
That's not what has been proposed here.  We're also aware of Facebook feature requests.  Please start a new thread if you have ideas on Facebook, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up