INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 and Vista 64  (Read 2164 times)

ichpen

MC12 and Vista 64
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »

Hi All,

I'm very fresh to JMC so please bear with me if this has been addressed (could not find it with search).

I have a lovely Vista 64 (now with SP1) HTPC, running 4 gigs RAM, quad core etc etc.

I have attempted on a few occasions to try JMC. Running evaluation version currently and love it when it works. However it is incredibly unstable under Vista 64 so I am posing the question whether anyone is currently running it in this setup.

90% of the time it will crash (and I mean the app will completely disappear without warning or windows error). I haven't narrowed it down specifically though it appears to happen more often when importing a large number of files (videos to be precise). My library is a mixture of mp3s, mkv's, xvid's, dvds etc etc. I trust I'm not alone with this setup.

My machine otherwise is incredibly solid and does not crash with any other media center app including microsoft's own.

I'm running KMP, reasonably recent ffdshow, haali and the usual filters.

Any suggestions or is Vista 64 support not even on the cards.

Would be happy to purchase the app but right now I cannot buy something that doesn't run on my system.

Appreciate your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 and Vista 64
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:10 pm »

A favor to ask.  Could you call it MC or MC?  JRM doesn't compute.

The crash is probably a bad DirectShow filter.  Try importing a single filetype at a time to find it.

ichpen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:07:22 pm »

A favor to ask.  Could you call it MC or MC?  JRM doesn't compute.

The crash is probably a bad DirectShow filter.  Try importing a single filetype at a time to find it.

Favour granted. MC it is.

Will try filetype at a time. Any known issues with Vista 64?

ichpen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:10:42 pm »

OK, found something.

Playing any m4a (itunes mpeg audio) will cause a complete crash of MC. One of the more spectacular crashes I've seen on Vista 64 I must say.

Filter related?

slowjaw

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:10:34 am »

I am also operating my PC under Windows Vista 64 Bit and am experiencing similar problems with Media Center 12. I read the posted explanation by Mr. Hillegass, CEO of the JRiver crowd as to why there is no simple support option for Media Center 12. Frankly, I was unimpressed.

Had I known that it was going to be such a hassle to get support, I would not have purchased the
software. Many consumer protection experts recommend that one never do business with any internet based company not fully disclosing on its website complete contact information, including valid telephone numbers. Alas, I have been had again.

As to Vista compatibility, Media Center 12 is clearly not compatible with Windows Vista, 64 bit or 32 bit. The fact that Media Center 12 might operate occasionally under Vista does not make it compatible. If it were certified compatible by Microsoft, these folks would be boasting about it.
The many glitches occurring under Vista can be softened a little by running Media 12 in Windows XP mode.

The program has many good features but I think I will uninstall same until there is a Microsoft certified Vista version available. However, that event may never come. I just wish this crowd had been more honest about its glaring issues with Windows Vista and listed the true system requirements of Media Center 12 in its advertising hype.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:35:20 am »

Had I known that it was going to be such a hassle to get support, I would not have purchased the
software. Many consumer protection experts recommend that one never do business with any internet based company not fully disclosing on its website complete contact information, including valid telephone numbers. Alas, I have been had again.

You are wrong. They operate openly. Actually many users have visited the JRiver office when they have been in Minneapolis. The address is published here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/company.html

They just don't provide telephone support (which is mostly useless for other than very basic questions). IMHO this forum works better than many other support systems I have seen.

As to Vista compatibility, Media Center 12 is clearly not compatible with Windows Vista, 64 bit or 32 bit. The fact that Media Center 12 might operate occasionally under Vista does not make it compatible. If it were certified compatible by Microsoft, these folks would be boasting about it.
The many glitches occurring under Vista can be softened a little by running Media 12 in Windows XP mode. The program has many good features but I think I will uninstall same until there is a Microsoft certified Vista version available. However, that event may never come. I just wish this crowd had been more honest about its glaring issues with Windows Vista and listed the true system requirements of Media Center 12 in its advertising hype.

?

Do you have a specific problem? How do you think you would get support without bothering to ask?

Also, the program has a 30-day trial. You don't need to purchase if it doesn't work for you.

The certification is just an empty word. In reality it doesn't guarantee that a program works without any problems, but it limits the development. JRiver publishes new versions very often. There is no way each build could be certified. Here is the complete change log for MC12: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38834.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:18:12 pm »

If we ran a JRiver certification program, I don't think Vista would pass yet.  There is a Service Pack coming.  Here's an article from anandtech.com on What's fixed in SP1.

But, as Alex says, maybe you could start by asking a question or stating the problem you see.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:27:34 pm »

Had I known that it was going to be such a hassle to get support

As Alex pointed out, we're better than telephone support a lot of the time, such as in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44326.msg310710#msg310710

where I got a feature added within a day of the request. Try that next time you call Microsoft...

j

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:12:46 pm »

Many consumer protection experts recommend that one never do business with any Internet based company not fully disclosing on its website complete contact information, including valid telephone numbers. Alas, I have been had again.

Well that is a dream world my friend, that just doesn't exist here on planet Earth.

MC's support seems to be pretty top notch to me, it just may not be outsourced to India like most others, but their updates are second to none.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

slowjaw

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »

Please forgive my error in saying that a number was not posted on the website. Who wants telephone support? Not me. All I need is a simple email address which may be used to direct support requests to a human. Going thru a cumbersome forum is no time saver.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »

Going through the forum is a HUGE time saver. Instead of waiting for one person to answer your e-mail, there are lots of helpful people here, JRiver employees and very knowledgable users.

If you could post your problem, you'd see.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »

I'd also like to point out that your first post yesterday was answered in 15 minutes, your second post today was answered in 2.
The forum works.

j

slowjaw

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »

Thanks for the fine rendition of the company song. However, I remain unimpressed.

slowjaw

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »

Is the new version Vista Compatile?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 02:15:27 pm »

MC12 runs well on Vista.  Vista has problems of its own.  Life isn't perfect.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 03:02:45 pm »

Thanks for the fine rendition of the company song. However, I remain unimpressed.

Some of the feedback messages you are getting here about how good the support is,
aren't from JRiver employee's but people that use the forum for support on a regular basis.

The support here also includes messages direct from the developers, not
just some person reading off of a cue card.

All this is provided entirely free, not many software
companies provide anything like this!  I'm intrigued as to what does impress you!

I'm a developer working for a software company myself, the support provided by us
 costs in the region of $5k per year per system installed, which isn't unusual.

PS, I run MC under Vista and on the whole, any issues I've had have been
Microsofts issues.  Having called MS several times in the past, I can tell you the only
 hope you have is that they already have a hotfix for it, and that you happen
to know which one it is.  Otherwise you're up the creak without a paddle!

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »

There is nothing Vista x64 will do that XP x64 (SP2) won't do faster, cleaner, and more efficiently. That's what I run (+ Ubuntu x64). If you want near instant relief, go that route ... or wait for MS to fix a damaged OS whose legacy will rival ME.

beardno1

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 06:11:10 pm »

I was running jrmc in vista ultimate 64 and had no problems with crashing but did have problems with bad pixelated film quality this could have been a codec issue but i tried all the ones i could find that were vista compatable but couldnt solve the problem so went back to good old xp has anyone else had this problem and solved it as i would like to go back to vista at some point. ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up