INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for MC: Opening images from windows explorer with MC.  (Read 1885 times)

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
Question for MC: Opening images from windows explorer with MC.
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:37 am »

Hi

I asked this in a previous post , but didn't get any reply, so I'd like to ask again.

I'm confused as to why MC does not allow all the images in the folder to be sent to "playing Now", when double-clicking an image in windows explorer (whose file type is associated with MC ).
 This is the only reason I do not associate all my image files with MC.

By opening the whole folder of containing images(the folder of which file was double-clicked in explorer) in Playing Now, it will then allow browsing all the images from where the original image was double-clicked, similar to as if it were double clicked form within MC.
For anyone who'd not be interested in browsing further, nothing would be different really. They'd just close the fullscreen viewer the way they'd normally do it, and continue as normal.

The question: Is there any technical reason maybe or other, why MC wouldn't (or couldn't) be able to do this? Would you please consider adding this as an option if it is possible?

Thank you
cosmic

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question for MC: Opening images from windows explorer with MC.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:48:22 am »

I cannot remember the last time I used windows explorer to browse for images or audio.
I plug my camera in, download images to a working directory MC watches, tag with MC, and when done tagging, I use MC to move the files to their final resting place.
When I need to retrieve any photos, I use MC to find them.

Can you not get what you want from MC by using the My Computer branch of the tree in MC?

-marko.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:18:02 am »

I cannot remember the last time I used windows explorer to browse for images or audio.
I plug my camera in, download images to a working directory MC watches, tag with MC, and when done tagging, I use MC to move the files to their final resting place.
When I need to retrieve any photos, I use MC to find them.

Can you not get what you want from MC by using the My Computer branch of the tree in MC?

-marko.

Hi there Marko

Yes of course I can use MC , but it's alot more work when I am at the spot I am within Windows already.
I would not be typically browsing images. I think that you are only seeing it from a point of someone who only deals with browsing and working with images and media files all day, every day.
 But I'm actually working inside windows explorer most of the time with all various files and documents ( word files , pdf, excel , etc...this is not leisure time).
And then when there is are a couple of  images associated with my work in that specific folder, it's alot more trouble to everytime I have a few image I wish to view quickly from my current position within windows, to have to go find  and hunt it down within MC.

I'm absolutely sure that there are many people who are spending alot of their time actually "working" outside mc, not specifically working with media ( just doing the many day to day things people do on computers) , but then somewhere along the line come across a few images that they may want to view.

If I am just at the specific time actually just planning on browsing images or any other "media" files , then I would choose to launch MC and browse leisurely.

Sorry if I seem to keep repeating myself, I'm just trying to explain clearly what I mean. :)

Thanks
PS. Just a bit of extra info. Alot of my images are also not images that I've taken with my camera. They are just general work related images, images that I also do not want to include in my MC library. I have hundreds of them, and they come and go on a daily basis.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:47 am »

makes a lot of sense when you put it like that :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:48:11 am »

Wholeheartedly agreed, Cosmicfx.
I sometimes hit the next button, only to see nothing happened. I then quit MC, and open an image with *gasp* Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Then the right arrow works fine, but I feel a little dirty for not using MC.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:58:45 am »

I think the simple reason is because that's the way Windows works. You double-click a file in Windows and it opens it in the default App. It doesn't send every image in that folder to that default app, only the one you double clicked. I don't actually know any program that operates the way you describe. When I double click on a Word document I don't expect Word to open up every document in that folder. If I have images associated with Photoshop, I don't expect Photoshop to open up every image in that folder.

It's just the standard. Would it make a good additional option in MC? Sure. But I don't see how it's confusing in any way.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:26:48 am »

Most image viewers I've used does this. Irfanview for instance. Even Windows Picture and Fax viewer does it as mentioned. Wich would make it kind of standard for windows.
This needs to be implemented imho, or else it would not make any sense for me to associate pictures with MC. Importing and viewing within MC, fine. But not for association in windows.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:37:35 pm »

I think the simple reason is because that's the way Windows works. You double-click a file in Windows and it opens it in the default App. It doesn't send every image in that folder to that default app, only the one you double clicked. I don't actually know any program that operates the way you describe. When I double click on a Word document I don't expect Word to open up every document in that folder. If I have images associated with Photoshop, I don't expect Photoshop to open up every image in that folder.

It's just the standard. Would it make a good additional option in MC? Sure. But I don't see how it's confusing in any way.

Hi Doof

Word is a word editor and Photoshop a high end image editor. They are not intended for multiple file browsing... in this case image files.

As llafriel mentioned, most if not all image viewers I know of , do just this ... allowing to view all the images within the folder of the image which was double-clicked. So if I want to associate all my image files with MC ( which I so desparately want to do) , MC will then become by default ... my image viewer.
When I double-click an image in windows, it's to view the that image file, and often with the intention of viewing all the other image files in it's immediate vicinity ( i.e. within the same folder), similarly the way I'd like to view an image file/files if I double-clicked it from within MC.

But if you still don't agree with that  :), then let's at least agree that it would make a good additional option in MC.

Thanks

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 03:47:17 am »

Can anyone from MC staff please respond to my question (1st post). It would be appreciated.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 06:23:27 am »

I think it's one of those "tastes great" / "less filling" things.  We're not going to make a change in this.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:13 am »

Most image viewers I've used does this. Irfanview for instance.

i use this quite often for the odd browse, space to go forward, backspace to go back. Very light & quick and for the job at hand this app works very well.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:31 pm »

I think it's one of those "tastes great" / "less filling" things.  We're not going to make a change in this.

Real pity, but thanks.
Unfortunately for me, I'll have to keep my image files unassociated with MC. Something I've been wishing to do since I got MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up