INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server/Library Server Questions  (Read 1253 times)

spencsm

• Recent member
Media Server/Library Server Questions
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:00:08 am »

Greetings.  I've been all through the forum and help files, but haven't been able to find this specific issue.

I'm running MC12, but have never messed with the media server or library server functions (and don't really understand the difference  ? ).  I just bought new laptops for my daughters; they live 4,000 miles away, and I would like their media players (I'm thinking of using MP12 on their boxes) to point to my library.  (They won't have sufficient hard drive space to physically duplicate my library, and that would be missing the point anyway...) Can I do this, or do I need to use some other kind of file sharing software?  And/or do we all need to be running MC12?  I will have physical access to their laptops for about a month, so will be able to load whatever is needed and test the functionality and so forth.

They are used to using iTunes; is there any way to make that work (have their iTunes point to my MC12 library)?  I realize that's asking for a lot...

Separate issue: is there any way to make MC12 stream to my Xbox 360? I'm using Windows Media Center now and it's crap...

Thanks in advance!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Media Server/Library Server Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:42:23 am »

They could download media jukebox 12 (it's free), and have all the benefits of using MC (music ones anyway), and connect to your library.

spencsm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:48 am »

Thanks!  I meant to say that my intention was to load MJ12 on their laptops.  So that will work? How exactly do they connect back to my server?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:56 am »

It'll work, subject to some constraints. First, you'll want a fixed IP address from your ISP, or dyndns or something similar. They have to know the "name" of your computer. Cable and DSL connections usually change IP addresses from time to time. Second, you'll have to deal with firewall/nat issues, this depends on the complexity of your home network. And last, you'll need sufficient bandwidth to feed them.

See the wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server
for details.

We don't support the xbox 360 (yet).

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up