INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Missing  (Read 1640 times)

jaytech371

• Recent member
Cover Art Missing
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:25:18 pm »

I have recently allowed the update to version 12.0.438 to occur. Later when I reopened my library all of the cover art is gone. I checked to see if I still had my thumbnails in Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Cover Art and they are indeed all there. Is there a chance the the database file that connects my music to these files is corrupt or gone. It has taken me months to build this library and it hurts my brain to think of starting over. I figured it might be a flaw in the build so I went to 12.0.450 and still no luck. When I instruct the program to "quick Find in file/cover art directory it just hangs there and nothing happens. This is for my music files, I also have a very large library of video files that have also lost their thumbs. At one point I decided to use the manual option of Build missing thumbnail and let it go over night on the video files, in the morning it was still not done so I ended it, could this have been a part of the problem "I don't persoanlly think so". If anyone has any answers please help.

jaytech371

• Recent member
Re: Cover Art Missing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:29:19 pm »

This is weird, when I slide the thumbnail size to a larger setting they all re-appear. but they are 5 or 6 inches in size. I'm confused.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »

When I instruct the program to "quick Find in file/cover art directory it just hangs there and nothing happens.
Double check the options to make sure that you have the right directory set for cover art.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »

I think the actual cover art files are correctly available since the enlarged thumbnail can show the image, but thumbnail creation has problems for some reason.

The cached thumbnails are use used for small images in the view schemes. It would be too slow to read and display the original cover art files in views that contain lots of small images.

In some situations the thumbnail cache is cleared (like when a library is restored), but MC should automatically create new thumbnails when the files are browsed. For audio files this should be quite fast. Creating video thumbnails is slower because MC needs to play a small passage of each video file.

jaytech371,

Does the standard cover art visualization in Playing Now work normally when you play audio files?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jaytech371

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:52:23 pm »

O.K. I checked this and it is pointing to where all of my thumbnails exist. Funny thing is that I am abble to see the thumbs if I enlarge them, this is the same whether I am viewing audio, video, or images. The thumbnails are there they just are not viewable it seems at small and medium sizes. I have checked the offset medium and offset small thumbnail setting and they are the same as the Large thumbnail offset settings. Is the jrworker.exe responsible for gathering these thumbs? Could there be a codec that is not compatible with the new version. Normally when the thumbs are being created the ffdshow icon keeps popping into view in the notification area, it does not seem to do that now. This could be something simple I just can't think of what it is. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

jaytech371

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:56:39 pm »

Thanks Alex I think you are on the right track,. Yes when I am using the "Now Playing" display the thumb is available. Like you said when viewing the thumbs for audio it usually quickly builds the thumbs, here it doesn't seem to even try.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »

As a test, could you try the following?

- Create a cloned copy of your library with Library Manager (click the "Add" button, give it a name, specify a new location for it and select your normal library from the "Clone from" drop-down menu.)

- Load this new library and delete all video files from it (naturally only from the library).

- Go to Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails and select "Build Missing Thumbnails"

Does it work when videos are not included?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jaytech371

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:37:38 pm »

Wow, there they are. All of the thumbnails are back after creating a new library. I created a location on a separate drive called test lib then loaded it, and "boom" they are all back. I didn't even have to remove the vids from the library view. Huh? It must have rebuilt the cache files and .jmd's. I noticed my old Cache folder only had two files in it "Sort Character Table v2 (0x1) (0x409).dat" and "Sort Character Table v2 (3x1) (0x409).dat" Where as the Cache folder in the new location has "Cache (1).dat". "Cache (2).dat", "Cache (1).dat", and "index.dat". Maybe this all makes alot of sense to you or someone out there. I know now that if this happens again I just need to rebuild my library location. If you have any ideas on why this happend I would be interested in knowing but I believe my problem is solved. Thanks alot Alex.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 05:18:57 pm »

Wow, there they are. All of the thumbnails are back after creating a new library. I created a location on a separate drive called test lib then loaded it, and "boom" they are all back. I didn't even have to remove the vids from the library view. Huh? It must have rebuilt the cache files and .jmd's.

I am glad it worked out for you.

I noticed my old Cache folder only had two files in it "Sort Character Table v2 (0x1) (0x409).dat" and "Sort Character Table v2 (3x1) (0x409).dat" Where as the Cache folder in the new location has "Cache (1).dat". "Cache (2).dat", "Cache (1).dat", and "index.dat".

Those "cache" files are library data related. The thumbnail cache is in a different place. On XP the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails. In this location each library has a separate code-named directory structure for thumbnails.

Maybe this all makes alot of sense to you or someone out there. I know now that if this happens again I just need to rebuild my library location. If you have any ideas on why this happend I would be interested in knowing but I believe my problem is solved. Thanks alot Alex.

It would be useful to know exactly what was the problem, but unfortunately I have no idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up