INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Portable MC12 Installation?  (Read 2185 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problem with Portable MC12 Installation?
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:55 am »

I made a portable installation of MC12 on one of my external Backup Disks containing my complete Media files backup.  So far so good. Then I copied my main library from my PC to the portable installation of MC12 on the backup disk and started the portable MC12.

Unfortunately all the pathnames point to the internal drive D:\Media instead of E:\Media of the external backup.

I was thinking of using Rename files from properties or Search/Replace to make the changes, but those functions would not only modify the pathnames of the library entries but also move the entire media collection to the Backup drive.

I only need to change the drive letter in the library without moving the files around. Any clue on how to do that?
Thank you very much for helping!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem with Portable MC12 Installation?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

Library Tools/Find and replace

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:12:31 pm »

Well, not the whole truth!

If I simply use Find/Replace, MC12 tries to move and overwrite all the files already existing on the backup drive and forces Explorer to ask for overwrite confirmation. So this is not really the proper way.

But then, I renamed the Media folder on the pc hard disk from D:\Media to D:\MediaXXX, so that the Find/Replace operation did not find anything to move around and just replaced the drive letter in the library.

It worked (at least for a few files), but it's not a very clean way of doing it.  There should be some way of telling MC12 just to replace the drive letter (or pathname) without moving the files around!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:48:59 pm »

You should do a fresh import with the Portable Install.

Portable installs use special relative-path filenames for the media, so that when you plug into a different system and get a different drive letter, everything keeps working.

I suppose you could also do this manually by changing "D:\" to "(Install Drive):\" with the Find & Replace tool.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »

I suppose you could also do this manually by changing "D:\" to "(Install Drive):\" with the Find & Replace tool.

Worked very well. Thank you! Replaced 66'000 Files on the Backup Drive. Fresh import would probably be quicker!

What would I have to do, if I want to have the same settings on the portable version? Is there some .ini file that I could copy over to the portable version?

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:49:29 pm »

What would I have to do, if I want to have the same settings on the portable version? Is there some .ini file that I could copy over to the portable version?
I'm in the same boat here, sure wish there was an easy way to transfer all custom settings.
Thanks
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »

The portable version uses an ini file.

The full version uses the registry.

Someday they'll probably both use an ini file.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:24:35 am »

The portable version uses an ini file.

The full version uses the registry.

Someday they'll probably both use an ini file.
Is a script option possible to extract View Settings from registry to an ini file that the portable can use?
I'm inept at software, so ID_10_T type of temp fix would be awsome, just a thought...
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:22 am »

Is a script option possible to extract View Settings from registry to an ini file that the portable can use?
No.  When you've done with the portable install (part of the Custom Install), just run MC from the portable drive, import any media on the portable drive, and set it up the way you want.

It's intended to be a simple way to take some of your media with you, and be able to play it by plugging the drive into any Windows PC.

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 01:14:30 pm »

Thanks Jim, it seems I am suffering from ID-10-t errors and my (2) back-up drives did not import any custom detail views. I even tried the browser.jmd from the full version, last 4 builds.
Could be my install, not too savy on this end  ;)

I could transfer ALL my music & playlist, by file rename (transfer/copy) on 20K of music to the back-up HDD, which is pretty awsome IMHO.

I now have well over (30) x 100 track playlists in 4 differant playlist groups and simplistic smartlist on any PC from my portable HDD.
Very sweet! Respect to the J River team.

For a clueless to do this just shows that MC is still fairly easy, considering some of us really are treading deep pools in this technically detailed SW. I'm might be swimming up stream, but the work-out hurts so good  ;D

MC12 is my favorite software at home, work and even (now) camp/vacation ::)
Even my co-workers are new customers, thanks to the portable aspect of this program.
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:59:24 am »

It's intended to be a simple way to take some of your media with you, and be able to play it by plugging the drive into any Windows PC.

Simple would be if I could transfer all my settings from the main app on my pc to the portable version. ;D

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 01:26:31 pm »

Simple would be if I could transfer all my settings from the main app on my pc to the portable version. ;D
Bump, hint  ;)

In MC12 defense, we really are spoiled!
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.
Pages: [1]   Go Up