INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REQ: Enhanced library server logging for initial connections  (Read 3461 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
REQ: Enhanced library server logging for initial connections
« on: April 08, 2008, 02:59:40 pm »

Hi Folks,

I am trying to get my company laptop to connect to my library server in my LAN.   Unfortunately it's not working in that MC thinks it's connected but whenever I try to view any media I get the import media dialog shown.   I know the server is working fine as I have two other PCs which connect hunky-dorey.

I suspect the firewall installed on the lappy is blocking me somewhere along the line however I am using ports which are definitely unblocked, e.g. 80/21/23 and some that were added for our applications 8950-8998.

Unfortunately when I switch on MC logging I do not see any initial connection requests/failures, nor any errors indicating that a comms request was issued and blocked, etc.

So when you get 2 minutes can you guys enhance the logging in the library server code to help me track down this issue.   I think a lot of other people would benefit from this when trying to diagnose connection issues.

Regards,

Rhino.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: REQ: Enhanced library server logging for initial connections
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:06:44 pm »

What does MC's Library Server say on the server side?  Does it show the connection and the requests?

Library Server settings can limit the number of connections.  Could that be it?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:30:38 pm »

Hi Jim,

The server is not displaying any connection requests when connecting via MC however when I connect via a web browser it does.   Also I can connect to the port via telnet form my laptop and can type in characters and get a response back from the server.

So it looks like it is managing to connect but it's not negotiating correctly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 04:14:33 pm »

If the server doesn't show any lifesigns when you try to connect it with MC then I'd guess that something is blocking the access before the server program.

Have you tried to connect an MC server that is running on one your other PCs? This would help to determine which PC is blocking the access.

I suspect the firewall installed on the lappy is blocking me somewhere along the line

You didn't mention what firewall is installed on the laptop. If the OS is XP or W2k Pro I'd like to recommend Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.15  It is an old, but reliable firewall that lets you configure everything and monitor all connections. You would not need to guess what is happening. It is freeware and available here: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=keriopf (only the v. 2.15 is good, the v.4.x is a very different beast.)

EDIT, I just noticed that it's a company laptop. Are you alllowed to install and configure programs?

Also, I don't quite undestand this part: "whenever I try to view any media I get the import media dialog shown".

Are you saying that initially it can connect and download the served library, but the library files don't show up at all after the download process is finished?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:54:41 pm »

If the server doesn't show any lifesigns when you try to connect it with MC then I'd guess that something is blocking the access before the server program.

As I said both telnet and browsers on my laptop can connect to the library server port just fine.

Have you tried to connect an MC server that is running on one your other PCs? This would help to determine which PC is blocking the access.

no point as I said I can connect to the library server from other machines (three of them) without any problems, just not this one.   That tells me that this laptop has the issue.

You didn't mention what firewall is installed on the laptop. If the OS is XP or W2k Pro I'd like to recommend Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.15  It is an old, but reliable firewall that lets you configure everything and monitor all connections. You would not need to guess what is happening. It is freeware and available here: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=keriopf (only the v. 2.15 is good, the v.4.x is a very different beast.)

EDIT, I just noticed that it's a company laptop. Are you alllowed to install and configure programs?

Yup, being a programmer I have admin capabilities.  We are using CheckPoint's SecureClient software.   The ports I mentioned are definately open (incoming/outgoing) and I can use these for other socket
requests just fine.

Also, I don't quite undestand this part: "whenever I try to view any media I get the import media dialog shown".

Are you saying that initially it can connect and download the served library, but the library files don't show up at all after the download process is finished?

I am saying when I connect to the library I do not get any error notification (and the MC titlebar shows the library server IP address and port) but when I click on Audio, Images or Video the "Import Folder" dialog is shown.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:00:39 pm »

So, the server is not showing the connection attempt on it's message page.

But the client thinks it has downloaded a library.

I'd suggest sniffing the network traffic to see exactly what IS being downloaded...

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:02:06 pm »

As I said both telnet and browsers on my laptop can connect to the library server port just fine.

But can MC?

no point as I said I can connect to the library server from other machines (three of them) without any problems, just not this one.   That tells me that this laptop has the issue.

I have seen server PCs blocking access to or from certain PCs only and sometimes the problems have been strange and complicated to resolve, but I think you are correct, probably the issue is on the laptop's side.

Yup, being a programmer I have admin capabilities.  We are using CheckPoint's SecureClient software.   The ports I mentioned are definately open (incoming/outgoing) and I can use these for other socket requests just fine.

I see. I have always confiigured Library Server to use a high port number that is certainly not used/needed by other applications and opened that port for Media Center only. The Kerio I mentioned is very intuitive to use if you know what you are doing. It uses a learning mode by default, but you can edit and create rules that block IPs, ports, protocols and/or individual programs and configure each item manually if preferred. It has allowed groups for Windows networking and trusted IP groups that can be used in the rules.

I am saying when I connect to the library I do not get any error notification (and the MC titlebar shows the library server IP address and port) but when I click on Audio, Images or Video the "Import Folder" dialog is shown.

So the downloaded library is apparently empty. Does it download the complete library with all usual .jmd files? It should appear in
C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Connected Library (on XP)

Does the server show only these events:

04/08/08 23:47:49 - JRiver Library Server Version 1.0.38 starting...
04/08/08 23:47:49 - Starting Auto Detect beacon
04/08/08 23:47:49 - Running on Port 61925
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Received request for version
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Sending version
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Received request for library
04/08/08 23:48:00 - Sending library

but nothing after that?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:03:17 pm »

Library Server settings can limit the number of connections.  Could that be it?
Did you double check?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:16 am »

Did you double check?

Sorry Jim, yes I did and I had unchecked the "Limit concurrent connections" checkbox.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 02:47:52 am »

But can MC?

That's what I am asking for ... debugging to confirm that it can/cannot connect.

So the downloaded library is apparently empty. Does it download the complete library with all usual .jmd files? It should appear in
C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Connected Library (on XP)

Does the server show only these events:

04/08/08 23:47:49 - JRiver Library Server Version 1.0.38 starting...
04/08/08 23:47:49 - Starting Auto Detect beacon
04/08/08 23:47:49 - Running on Port 61925
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Received request for version
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Sending version
04/08/08 23:47:57 - Received request for library
04/08/08 23:48:00 - Sending library

but nothing after that?

My log ends at "Running on Port 80" and when I connect via MC on this laptop I see nothing after that.   When I try to connect via a web browser from this laptop I see "Error sharing file, no file requested".

As I have said, MC  is providing no feedback whatsoever that there is an issue and where it is and it should.   Ideally at the UI level but at the very least in the debug logging.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 04:33:28 am »

That's what I am asking for ... debugging to confirm that it can/cannot connect.

My log ends at "Running on Port 80" and when I connect via MC on this laptop I see nothing after that.

So it looks like the server does not get any input from the laptop. Initially I thought that you reguested more logging on the server side, but I understand now that you would like have the additional logging on the client.

I'm surprised that the client MC erranously thinks it got a library from the server. Does the laptop save anything in the "Connected Library" folder?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 05:29:02 am »

So it looks like the server does not get any input from the laptop. Initially I thought that you reguested more logging on the server side, but I understand now that you would like have the additional logging on the client.

No ... both sides.   So I can switch it on on the server and see what happens with the initial socket calls and the same with the client.   From that you can identify exactly what is going on and what is failing.

I'm surprised that the client MC erranously thinks it got a library from the server. Does the laptop save anything in the "Connected Library" folder?

No idea, I am at the office just now and will not be able to test till this evening.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 08:16:52 am »

As I have said, MC  is providing no feedback whatsoever that there is an issue and where it is and it should.   Ideally at the UI level but at the very least in the debug logging.

If the server isn't getting a connection, there's nothing to log.

Please try the network sniff I suggested above...

j

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:38:23 am »

If the server isn't getting a connection, there's nothing to log.

But that's the point ... it is ... I can connect to the port via telnet from the laptop just fine.   It's whatever is happening after that point which is causing trouble.   Also if I telnet in from the library server machine, type in some garbage MC closes the connection but there is nothing in the logfile indicating that a bad connection request was made.

Please try the network sniff I suggested above...

j

I will do when I get home tonight to try and figure out what is going on but per my first posting I think MC should have logging for comms as standard.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:48 am »

Hmmm ... on a hunch I restarted MC (I rdp'd to my linux fileserver which is running my vmware XP OS which is running MC) and low and behold I am getting logging.

Partially my fault (I should have tried this earlier) but instead of a lazy blanket "Some changes will not take effect until the program is restarted" MC should indicate which ones are immediate and which ones require a restart (or start/stop of a the plugin concerned).   Especially for the components it ships as part of the product, e.g. the library server.

So now onto the next issue, why am I not getting the library from the server ... stay tuned :D :D

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 01:46:48 pm »

I have exactly the same problem.
I can do as the wiki suggests:(see below)
---------------------------------
Manually Test the Server Connection
With a web browser, connect to
http://1.2.3.4:80/GetLibrary
Replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP address of the Library Server, and 80 with the port the Library Server is listening on. The web browser should ask if you want to save a file. If it doesn't, there is a firewall or proxy preventing access.
----------------------------------
Works fine.
I can also try to connect with just a web browser from work to my home pc (with media center running) and the server page (on home pc) shows the connection request - all good so far.

However, once I load media center on my work pc (with the exact same ip address for the library location that has been working from a web browser), nothing happens and the server on the home pc does not even show a request.

This must be something to do with the firewall (on my work pc) no?  I mean maybe my IT dept at work has allowed web browser outgoing rights that it doesn't allow media center??

I don't know enough about networking, but that would seem to make sense, I just need someone to help me investigate this theory...?
Pages: [1]   Go Up