INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.492  (Read 5225 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.492
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:43:20 am »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120492.exe
READ BEFORE YOU CLICK -- Back up your library.  Changes were made to the database that could result in data loss.

12.0.492 (5/2/2008)

1. Optimized: Panes fill and refresh faster.

12.0.491 (5/2/2008)

1. NEW: New internal database format used to store filenames, reducing total memory footprint of the database by over 50% in many cases.
2. Fixed: When filling cover art from a URL, the image could be unnecessarily reencoded as a new JPEG. (non-JPEG images are intentionally converted to JPEG)
3. Optimized: Removing files from a large Playing Now or large playlist is much faster.
4. Fixed: Printer configuration button in Print Wizard would not show the printer properties.
5. Optimized: Improved performance of database saving.
6. Fixed: Recommendation engine could stall MC's shutdown process.
7. Changed: DVD player now can handle aspect ratio correctly even if the video is resized by a post-processing filter (e.g. FFDShow).
8. Changed: Changed how analog TV channels are played with Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 device. Experimental.
9. Fixed: Rip filenames with dots in them were not working.
10. Fixed: Library Server could crash on starting/stopping, after an unsuccessful startup.
11. Fixed: Crash while clicking around the podcasts fixed.
12. Changed: Some code changes in DVD playback, to head off potential crashes due to bad DirectShow system or filters. Also added more logging.
13. Changed: Improved how OR's and AND'd rules are handled in the Smartlist Editor.

12.0.490 (4/30/2008)

1. Fixed: UNC path browsing in Disk Location view schemes did not work properly in the tree.
2. Fixed: Pasting strings with unsupported characters (tabs, non-printables, etc.) into the search box would do nothing.
3. Fixed: Cleaned up some wording with Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool.
4. Fixed: Possible crash while analyzing audio using the popup dialog.
5. NEW: Audio Analyzer dialog is sizable, remembers last position, and doesn't disable the list during processing.
6. NEW: Audio Analyzer dialog can run multiple analyze processes at once. (defaults to 2)
7. Fixed: Holding shift while drawing a right-click lasso in a list wouldn't do additive selection.
8. Changed: Dropping files to transfer on a handheld while it's gathering the files already on the device will show a wait message (with cancel) instead of doing nothing.
9. Optimized: Generic storage card devices or user-created virtual devices gather files the first time the handheld is used, instead of at startup. (so missing network drives, mapping a huge drive, etc. won't cause performance issues)
10. Optimized: Improved performance of list rendering when viewing handheld transfer progress.
11. Fixed: When adding a file that's already in Playing Now to the end of Playing Now, playback would begin with the first instance of the file.
12. Changed: The default restored size of the main application is 80% of the screen instead of a hard-coded value in the skin. (program starts maximized by default)
13. Changed: Revised how list style (details, thumbnails, etc.) is saved so that if it is changed to the default mode for a view, the list style will automatically adapt to the media types in the list.
14. Changed: Track Info visualizations create the generated HTML file in the temporary folder instead of the Program Files folder (to avoid permissions issues).

12.0.489 (4/29/2008)

1. Changed: Audio file types that are played in DirectShow are not analyzed during Auto-import.
2. Changed: Audio file types that are playable in native playback engine only via DirectShow are analyzed (in Audio Analyze tool) only if the user chooses to play the types in DirectShow (for example if you do not choose to play m4a files in DirectShow, they will not be analyzed).
3. Changed: Print Wizard uses updated user interface system. (should be internal change only)
4. Changed: Print Wizard is sizable.
5. NEW: "Haali Video Renderer" is included in the video renderer list for DVD and DirectShow Video playback.
6. Changed: Narrower space between pictures when printing pictures in "Passport Photo (2x2) Mode".
7. Changed: "Divx Subtitle Source" filter is excluded from the "Source Filters" list because it pops up "Open File" dialog window when loaded.
8. Changed: Revised internal workings of image code, launcher, and setup finalizer (should be internal change only).
9. Changed: Renamed "Rename Files From Properties" to "Rename, Move, & Copy Files".
10. Changed: Removed redundant tools "Move Disk Files" and "Copy Disk Files". (use Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool)
11. NEW: Added Greek translation (thanks, Apostolos [sorry this took so long]).
12. NEW: Added Albanian translation (thanks, Bestar).
13. Changed: DirectShow filters that do not have one of the key words "Source", "File", "Splitter", "read", "pump", "parser" are no longer tested for inclusion in the "Source Filters" list. This will make MC less likely to crash due to bad filters, but may accidentally exclude some true source filters. Let us know if you know a source filter that you would like to use but it does not appear in the list.
14. Changed: Library Tool > Find & Replace defaults to no selected fields instead of all fields selected.
15. Changed: Added "Edit View Scheme..." to the bottom of the View Settings menu in the header of all library views.
16. Optimized: Improved the drawing speed of grouped details views.
17. Changed: Theater View Videos view has "All Files (by date)" and "All Files (by name)" in the Views menu.

Lasse_Lus

Re: Media Center 12.0.492
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:51:24 am »

mc12.exe /SilentImport   still crashes MC
MT5FR

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:45:45 am »

just a thought,

to make the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" a bit easier not to make errors, could it perhaps change background or text color for each different operation?
Red = Move
Yellow = Rename
Green = Copy
or something similar, just as a safe-guard as I find I get more absent-minded with age   ;D
. . . the game is rigged

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:15:38 am »

Since the last couple of updates. I have been experiencing the same problem. When I burn a disc , and the disc comes to the end of burning and is ready to close the disc. The process seems to hold on and never finishes, closes or ejects the disc. There seems to be a bug in the last two updates. Has anyone had this problem? Or can someone shed some light on my problem?

Media Center 12.0.492 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1705 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 618 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  DVDRW LH-20A1P     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
tvk

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »

Maybe it is just me   ::)
but MC is not correctly Sync'ing my 'Handheld' (hard drive posing as a handheld)

Although MC loaded the 'Handheld' by a Sync operation it now wants to duplicate the existing files instead of only adding new ones not previously Sync'd.

I tried manually dropping recent albums onto the handheld, tried using a Smartlist linked to the Sync dialogs in settings, but either way it is ready to transfer duplicates which was not previously the case a few builds back.

Could this be MC or have my settings possibly changed and it has slipped past my eyes? I did remove the 'Handheld' drives from MC and then set them up anew since it last worked correctly, but I can find nothing  which appears to be amiss.

Other than creating dupes, it is working as it should.
. . . the game is rigged

djp

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »

I'm getting an instant crash every time I try and sync my iPod.   Here's the end of the log:

0027094: 648: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::ProcessCommand: Start
0027094: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Start
0027094: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Type: 0, Function: 2
0027094: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Command = 1027
0027094: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Finish (0 ms)
0027141: 648: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::ProcessCommand: Finish (47 ms)
0027141: 648: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::ProcessCommand: Start
0027141: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Start
0027141: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Type: 0, Function: 2
0027141: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Command = 1032
0027141: 3680: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Finish (0 ms)
0027188: 648: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::ProcessCommand: Finish (47 ms)
0027188: 936: Handheld: CHHUploadWorker::NotifyStartFinished: Start
0027203: 936: Handheld: CHHUploadWorker::StartNextDownload: Start
0027203: 936: Handheld: CHHUploadWorker::StartNextDownload: Downloading file 267
0027203: 936: General: CNDownloadQueue::AddFile: Start
0027203: 936: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0027203: 936: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 275, wParam: 32738, lParam: 26585984, Window class:

djp

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 09:33:32 pm »

FWIW, rolled back to 487 (admittedly with an older library backup), and the sync worked fine.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:01:17 am »

[...]1. NEW: New internal database format used to store filenames, reducing total memory footprint of the database by over 50% in many cases.[...]
Is this done automaticly, or do we have to create a new, clean library to get those benefits for all files in library?

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:23 am »

Is anyone willing to shed some light on my problem here???

Since the last couple of updates. I have been experiencing the same problem. When I burn a disc , and the disc comes to the end of burning and is ready to close the disc. The process seems to hold on and never finishes, closes or ejects the disc. There seems to be a bug in the last two updates. Has anyone had this problem? Or can someone shed some light on my problem?

Media Center 12.0.492 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1705 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 618 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  DVDRW LH-20A1P     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

tvk

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:02:08 pm »

Is this done automaticly, or do we have to create a new, clean library to get those benefits for all files in library?

Automatic.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:02:56 pm »

I'm getting an instant crash every time I try and sync my iPod.   Here's the end of the log:

It appears to be a problem dealing with downloading files to transfer.

To test the theory, could you try syncing local files? (i.e. not from the Internet, Library Server, etc.)

Thanks.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »

I burned a disc earlier today with .492, no problems. Can you try a different burner, ide channel, cable, etc. Although I'm only one datapoint, perhaps you should start a new thread.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:01:27 am »

I burned a disc earlier today with .492, no problems. Can you try a different burner, ide channel, cable, etc. Although I'm only one datapoint, perhaps you should start a new thread.
A new thread would be best but I'll note: I've had the same problem when burning a disc at pretty much full capacity (and, obviously, where I have not gotten a message that there is too much data).

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:53:50 am »

I'm having problems with the "Rename, Move & Copy" function. I was tagging an audiobook, and used the function a couple of times on the same files to "preview" the filenames. At one point, one single file wasn't renamed, and i got two library entries for that file - one with the old file name, and one with the new one. I think that happened after changing the "Album" tag for all files. I didn't get any error message from MC - if i hadn't checked the file system, i'd never noticed the error. The library entry with the new filename wasn't valid, and the track just skipped silently during playback. To fix the error, i deleted the "dummy" entry from the library, and ran auto import. MC found and imported the single incorrectly named file, but the album type fot the audiobook was set to "incomplete", even after changing the "Album" tag of the single file to the one that the rest of the audiobook had. To fix that, i had to manually move all files to one "dummy" directory. But now, MC appends a "(1)" to the filename of the once-single file, and insists in doing so. I tried "Rename, Move & Copy" again, and also tried to change the filename manually in the MC library - MC keeps appending the "(1)" to the filename, even though there is no other file with the same filename in my library. Now it gets really strange: if i move all files to a dummy directory, the filenames are what they're supposed to be (no "(1)" appended to one particular filename). But every time i'm moving the files using the directory rule "[Genre]\[Artist]\[Album]", MC appends the "(1)" to the filename of one particular file.

I hope this explanation makes any sense... (;

EDIT: I think the problem might be connected to the fact that i did one operation (don't know which one, though) while MC was "saving tag changes", which takes some time with a lot of files (310, in this case).

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »

A new thread would be best but I'll note: I've had the same problem when burning a disc at pretty much full capacity (and, obviously, where I have not gotten a message that there is too much data).

I had a similar problem when I was burning an MP3 disk of files that involved converting some files.  MC makes a guess as to the resultant size of the converted files, but it is not exact.  This resulted in a disk that was too big to burn.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »

clicking on MC's interface during a Tag Update can cause the
Information
12 files updated (0 failures)

window to appear behind the main MC interface, going undetected and giving the false impression of a freeze (should be Always-On-Top, no?).
. . . the game is rigged

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 12.0.487
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 02:18:05 pm »

The Pane item "Reset Selection" disappears too early:

In Genre pane select "Unassigned".
Tag all files to a valid Genre e.g. Pop.
The pane selection jumps to "All (...)".
The file list below does not change.

Normally I would click on "Reset Selection" to view all files again, but this item is missing now.

thx
tom

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:10 pm »

When returning to a View Scheme from the My Computer folders, using the Back arrow, at times MC will return to the View Scheme, but to the improper view. Instead of returning to the 'top view' (i.e. Album Artist) it will go to a drilled-down view (i.e. Album, Genre) which then displays all Thumbnails and not the previous to Panes with File List below.
. . . the game is rigged

pthay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 12.0.492 - Cannot Save Preset Sorting Order
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 07:24:43 pm »

Unable to save customized sorting order from Customise Current View --> Sorting --> Preset --> Save [Name].  The customized sort name appears in the preset list right after being saved but is not retained once you leave the current view.

dcwebman

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 07:21:57 am »

clicking on MC's interface during a Tag Update can cause the
Information
12 files updated (0 failures)

window to appear behind the main MC interface, going undetected and giving the false impression of a freeze (should be Always-On-Top, no?).
I had this similar issue when sending images to Pix01. I thought it didn't work because it kept saying submitted but it was waiting for me to hit the OK button on the message behind MC.
Jeff

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

Upon ripping a CD, I just found that several times as it was ripping MC gave me an error message stating that it had problems tagging files, and to check that they were not in use or read only, etc.
I know I've had this before, but for two out of three occasions with this CD it then actually didn't tag at all, so I had to use Fill properties from filename afterwards to get artist, album, track # and name, and fill in other tags manually.
Needless to say, the files were not in use or read only.  MP3 encoding.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:03 am »

Upon ripping a CD, I just found that several times as it was ripping MC gave me an error message stating that it had problems tagging files, and to check that they were not in use or read only, etc.
I know I've had this before, but for two out of three occasions with this CD it then actually didn't tag at all, so I had to use Fill properties from filename afterwards to get artist, album, track # and name, and fill in other tags manually.
Needless to say, the files were not in use or read only.  MP3 encoding.

Yeah, this has been a problems for years (seen it since MC/MJ 10 and on).  I think it is a timing issue with the ripper used (Lame), when Lame closes the file and when MC wants to tag the file.  I usually do a 'Update Tags (from library)' immediately after a rip to force MC to write/rewrite the tag data so I'm sure it gets written.  Sometimes, for grins, I first do an 'Update Library (from tags)' and see what files' tags did not get written.  Then, do as you do 'Fill Properties from Filename'.  Conclusion:  I just learned to live with this 'feature' of MC (not to bad once you realize how easy it is to overcome).

MusicHawk

Lockup into playback loop while updating tags
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 11:04:33 am »

MC 12.0.492 has crashed a few times doing steps that have never crashed in prior versions.

I'm going through some newly-ripped tracks. I choose a track, start it playing to determine how to tag it, then update its tags. Then I click on the next track to do the same steps. I've done this a zillion times before.

But now, some of the time, if I click on the next track to PLAY it, MC locks the still-playing previous track into a tiny loop. I suspect this happens during the brief period when MC is writing out the previous track's tags -- some kind of contention issue. If I wait 10 seconds before PLAYing the next track, I don't seem to trigger the problem.

Once the crash happens, though MC is visible on screen and I can click on things, I'm no longer in control of anything. The loop keeps playing. I can close MC, but that doesn't stop the playing loop (perhaps because I'm also running MC Server on the same PC). Even though I can close all MC icons (including the Server icon) I must use Task Manager to fully kill it, which stops the playback loop. Upon restart all is well, unless I happen to trigger the problem/crash again.

Is it necessary to pause until tag updating is completed? How can I tell it's done, since the status bar message often disappears before the drive activity stops?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lockup into playback loop while updating tags
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 11:10:58 am »

I'm going through some newly-ripped tracks. I choose a track, start it playing to determine how to tag it, then update its tags.
Are you tagging the files ripped from the CD?  MP3 or APE files, for example.  Or the tracks on the CD?

MusicHawk

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:44:47 am »

I first rip from CD to MP3 (sometimes FLAC, but MP3 in the current situation). Then I go through the new MP3 tracks, playing and tagging.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 03:49:22 pm »

Audio Analysis hangs up (MC doesn't react any more) when using two threads ... repeated this two times - the first time it crashed after 30, the seconds time after 50 songs.
Using one thread only everything went fine ...

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »

Audio Analysis hangs up (MC doesn't react any more) when using two threads ... repeated this two times - the first time it crashed after 30, the seconds time after 50 songs.
Using one thread only everything went fine ...

thx

What type of files? (i.e. mp3, ape, etc.)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:23 pm »

What type of files? (i.e. mp3, ape, etc.)

mp3s with 192 kbps

jack wallstreet

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 05:11:08 pm »

I did an audio analysis on 192 mp3s yesterday using build 490.  Set at 4 concurrent. About 100 files.  It went very fast until it got to file 11 and hung (or appeared to).  I restarted and left it set at 4 and it reanalyzed the same group (not sure if in the same order and not sure whether I had skip analyzed set) and it went fine.  Haven't had a problem since, although haven't had a hundred files again.  fyi.

Edit - When running at 4 simultaneous files, my CPU shows 100%.  Don't know if that is significant or not.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up