INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can We Still Go O/T Here? [this has a happy ending]  (Read 4911 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Can We Still Go O/T Here? [this has a happy ending]
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:24:13 am »

This used to be a good place to tell about things that really had nothing to do with MC. I don't see any other OT postings so I'm unsure. I guess you can either move or delete if I'm out of bounds here.
Lots of things have happened in the last more-than-a-few months to distract me from my Beta duties  but the thing that has moved me to this posting is that 2 weeks ago I lost my job I've had for over 20 years and I'm feeling very disheartened.
On the up side, I've also recently become a grandfather -- my first -- and am quite infatuated with the little tike. He turns 6 months old today.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can We Still Go O/T Here?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:44:21 am »

Sorry To Hear About You Losing Your Job

I Think This Post Should Be Posted In "Music, Movies, and Other Cheap Thrills"

The economy here in the USA will be getting Worse before it gets better, more so if the price of Oil keeps going up.

No matter who gets into office this coming term, they will have a rough ride, and will not get re-elected.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:44:32 am »

C8,
Great to hear of the new critter!  Congratulations.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Sign of the times though.  The economy is just plain weird, but we always seem to pop back in a year or two.  I'm looking forward to a government I can be proud of again.

So get on that beta testing!

Jim

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:58:46 pm »

Thanks guys. Fortunately, I'll be better off than most. I've spent the last several years getting out of debt so I only have the regular recurring bills like utilities and food but I only owe money on my house and that will be paid off in 8 years with any luck at all. The kids are all grown and out of college.
It could be much worse.
Here's the boy:
That's right.
I'm cool.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 01:36:02 pm »

C8,
Great to hear of the new critter!  Congratulations.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Sign of the times though.  The economy is just plain weird, but we always seem to pop back in a year or two.  I'm looking forward to a government I can be proud of again.

So get on that beta testing!

Jim

I agree. Bush 2.0 did not work very well, so let's get to betatesting Obama 1.0! :D

Charlemagne, congratulations on the grandbaby! And sorry to hear about your job, but I tend to agree with Jim in that it wil pop back. There's far too much work to do getting the world back in shape, the new tech will need lots of hands!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:47 pm »

Obama 1.0 does look good, just have to hope that the full thing lives up to be as good as the trial period. ;-)

Looking on the plus side C8 sounds like  new beginning to me.  Maybe it will be good for the change. 20 years is a long time.
 :)

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:49:20 pm »

Um, ChriZ, don't you have an MC skin to work on?  Hmmm?

Charlemagne--

FWIW, I've been fired from almost every job I've ever had.  And the few where I left of my own volition I left such a lasting resevoir of ill will behind me that I almost wished I'd been fired, just so they'd soften up a bit towards me, out of pity. 

But no matter how many times the axe comes down on me, I can't help but feel gratified.  You see, when a guy like me gets canned, that's a sure sign that the system works.

I'm a Darwinian at heart, and an evolutionary outlier.  Or at least that's the conclusion I've drawn from years of hard knocks at the hands of Society at large.  Otherwise, how could I pick myself up from the pavement so many times?

Failing once or twice in life is a natural side-effect of striving for something worthwhile.  But failing continually, consistently, like I have?  That's a natural side-effect of a major disconnect. 

So there.  I go through life certain that I've go some secret, glorious purpose that the world hasn't figured out yet.  As a matter of fact, I haven't either.  But the old Diaphragm keep inflating and deflating, and the heart beats on.  And as long as I've got breath in my lungs, I'm going to make excuses for my conduct.

Hope this helps.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »

Hey, jgreen... Think things like this...

Um, ChriZ, don't you have an MC skin to work on?  Hmmm?

Might have a slight relationship to things like this?

I've been fired from almost every job I've ever had.  And the few where I left of my own volition I left such a lasting resevoir of ill will behind me that I almost wished I'd been fired, just so they'd soften up a bit towards me, out of pity. 

;)  ;D

Just kidding of course.

I'm very saddened/gladdened (is gladdened even a word) to hear your news, Charlemagne.  I'd actually agree with Chris here.... Never good to suddenly lose such a huge piece of your live and livelihood, but... If it had to happen, probably could be a bit of a blessing in disguise.  Take the time to spend with your new grandson.  You never get another chance for that, for sure.  And take the job loss as an opportunity, if you can.

Sounds like you were at least planning fairly well financially.  So, it could be a whole lot worse.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:07:08 pm »

Whenever I think of Charlemagne 8, I think of this old thread about wrens.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 07:22:27 pm »

Wow!!!
Scronch, Zevele, Harry...
That's a real blast from the past.
Thanks.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:12:24 pm »

My Cat "Buddy" Passed Away, At Age 3
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 11:04:51 pm »

2 weeks ago I lost my job I've had for over 20 years and I'm feeling very disheartened.
On the up side, I've also recently become a grandfather -- my first -- and am quite infatuated with the little tike. He turns 6 months old today.

I know it feels terrible. I've had to reinvent myself and my career several times. And each time I'd be the first to tell you all was lost. But, after a bit, I always find something to do, somewhere to be, and find that family and friends stick close. In the end, I value who I am, not what I have, where I live, or what I drive.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I'll bet he appreciates that his Grandfather has some extra time to be there. You'll remember this more than setting a new record for efficiency at the workhouse.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:27 pm »

I got a new job. Same money, more opportunities.

Sorry I missed that about your cat, King.
I like cats myself and have a "Buddy" about a year and a half old. He only likes me and my wife. Nobody else. No cats, no dogs, no other people -- just us.
Dogs make very good companions because they love you no matter what and I do love dogs.
Cats don't always make good companions because it seems that you have to earn their respect and you're always on probation. To me, that makes it seem more special when they DO love you.
I'm sorry for your loss.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:22:43 pm »

Congratulations! I make that 3 weeks total, that's really good.

j

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »

Great news!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:34 am »

That's really good news, congrats!  :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 07:50:12 am »

Congrats! I'm constantly living in fear of losing my job. I just pray that if it ever does happen, I can rebound as quickly as you have.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 12:34:43 pm »

A Few Months Ago I Actually Considered Leaving My Job For Another In Another Pest Control Company.

Scary Thing, Looking For A Job

More So Since I Have Only Had 3 Jobs In My Life.

I Cooked Peanuts For Planters Peanuts, Now Retired From The Military, And Pest Control (The Company I Am With Now).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:07 pm »

I Cooked Peanuts For Planters Peanuts.

I want to hear about this...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »

I Cooked All Kinds Of Peanuts, And Many Other Nuts, Roasted, Deep Fried

Leo Owned 4 Stores In New Jersey, including the one that was right across from the old steal pier in Atlantic City (that was lost in a storm, It has since been rebuilt). Last Year I Went To The Board Walk And Talked To Leo For A Few Mins, And Bought Some Nuts.

Leo Hit Me With A Roaster Brush One Time For Burning A Batch, I Got A 10 Cent Raise About 15 Mins Later.

I Had To Put The Mr. Peanut Costume On A Few Times, I Felt Like A Dork. Normally He Would Hire Some Kids That Were In College To Do That.

We Cooked Them Fresh Daily, I Worked In The Ocean City Store. It Has Moved A Few Stores Down Since Then Where A Arcade Was Back In The 70's It Is Now On A Corner Store (Good For Business).

The Green Mexican Pumpkin Seeds Would Always Pop All Over The Place.

Some People Liked Burnt Peanuts

If You Did Not Watch The Roasters Closely In The Last 5 Or So Mins When The Peanut Oils Would Start To Come Out You Could Easily Burn 25 Or 50 Lbs At A Batch Depending On The Size Of The Rooster. I Normally Would Mix The Burt Ones Into Good Batches So You Would Only Get A Few Burt Ones.

When I Was Working There, I Never Ate At Home, I Would Be Too Full.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:24 pm »

Wow!!!
Scronch, Zevele, Harry...
That's a real blast from the past.
Thanks.
CVIII

I really miss Zevele...  what ever happened to him?  Was he banned into oblivion?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »

I really miss Zevele...  what ever happened to him?  Was he banned into oblivion?
Zevele was a name that meant, he said, something like "Trash"/"Junk".

You can find the same character operating under another name on the MJ board:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43382.0

I miss the guy named Scott who went away mad.  Maybe with good reason.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can We Still Go O/T Here? [this has a happy ending]
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »

I Just Found Out Our Neighbor Lost her Job In May.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up