INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.526  (Read 6320 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.526
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:20 am »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120526.exe

12.0.526 (7/22/2008)

1. Fixed: Green Eyes skin didn't render edit controls properly.
2. Optimized: Edit control for notes, comments, and other large fields could be sluggish.
3. Fixed: Space bar wouldn't toggle checkboxes as expected in some lists.
4. Changed: Update Czech translation (thanks JohnnyB).
5. Fixed: CD / DVD files would not be properly excluded from tagging, and so could show an error.
6. Fixed: Converting a CUE file with a semi-colon in the name field could create an invalid file.
7. Changed: iPhone 3G devices are ignored (for now). (if your iPhone 3G still shows up, please contribute here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36033.0 )

12.0.525 (7/16/2008)

1. Fixed: Loading JPEGs encoded with 411 sampling at a small size could look incorrect.
2. Fixed: Changing tags and a filename while a file was playing could cause one of the changes to not get applied.
3. Fixed: APE decoder could error in rare cases.

12.0.524 (7/14/2008)

1. Changed: Doing an initialize on an iPod ejects it afterwards so the device has a chance to reset itself.
2. Fixed: Doing Shift+Arrow in an edit box wouldn't work properly in some cases.
3. Fixed: In rare cases, changing a file tag could also incorrectly change the associated filename in the database.
4. Changed: Placing the focus in the search control will select all of the text in the box.
5. Changed: Photo Print Wizard will center page filling prints (or nearly page filling prints) on the paper instead of putting them at the top left of the page.
6. Changed: Improved Photo Print Wizard handling of printers with uneven margins so that centered page filling prints (see above) get perfectly centered on the paper.

12.0.523 (7/11/2008)

1. Changed: When loading an iPod, if the device does not provide device information, it will fail to load. (instead of using hard-coded device information that could be outdated)
2. Changed: MC icon in Windows Tray was pixelated.  Tray icon returned to previous implementation.

12.0.522 (7/9/2008)

1. Changed: The quick search dialog would not select the previous search when opening, making it difficult to start a new search.
2. Fixed: iTunes playlist importing could fail on some playlists.
3. Fixed: iTunes playlist importing didn't properly support Asian characters.
4. Fixed: iPods could scramble art on the second sync. (not able to reproduce so fix may not solve the issue -- any feedback appreciated)
5. Fixed: Crash on right-click in a file list in rare cases.

12.0.521 (7/3/2008)

1. NEW: MC12 now works with MC13 licenses.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 12.0.526
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:12 pm »

Custom list style fields don't show a scroll bar when editing them. It depends on the screen position if I can enter field values in these fields.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:17 pm »

The multi-value field list is still broken. Perhaps the testing is being done on a simple, short multi-value list? That works. But for Keywords and my custom Artists field and similar long lists, it is virtually unusuable. But... until a few versions back, it worked perfectly for lists of any length. It wasn't "broken" but now it's "fixed"?

As of this version, Spacebar once again selects an item as an alternative to clicking a checkbox. But it is very difficult to get to the desired value, so the Spacebar fix by itself is just frustrating.

When editing a field in a view, if the displayed list is longish, it doesn't fit on the screen, yet there are no usable scrollbars or ways to move through the list. Dragging what seems to be the scrollbar moves the list for a ways, but never far enough. For example, in my custom field Artists, there's a value for every artist in the library, A-Z, thousands of values in the list. A few versions ago, this size list was easy to work with. But now, dragging the piece of the scrollbar that is available, I can't get past value "an" or so in the list. (The scroll bars work when editing the field in the Tag dialog.)

Up/down arrows don't move through the list, whether in a view or Tag dialog -- they used to.

Also frustrating is the limited ability to jump to a value by typing the first letter. The list used to accept a quick sequence of letters and would jump to a matching value.

But, because a long list doesn't usefully scroll in a view, jumping to a value in the list doesn't help -- there's no way to see what value has been found and no way to move to another nearby value because arrows don't work, and also because the value usually is "off screen" somwhere.

In the Tag dialog, the long list scrolls, but it's still only a bit helpful to jump to a letter because there's no way to move up/down via arrows. Only the mouse can be used to scroll/select, which is why re-enabling the Spacebar isn't notable.

Repeating an earlier suggestion, if the issue is that what makes for a nice multi-value mode with a short list doesn't work for a long list, how about providing two behaviors? Let the nature of the list display be controlled via the Library field definition. (Or, automated by noting the length of the list...)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:18:44 pm »

MusicHawk,

Could you send a screenshot of what you're seeing to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:18:53 pm »

>> Could you send a screenshot of what you're seeing

Sent.

New behavior discovery:

The vertical scroll bar doesn't work except right at the top of the list. The up/down arrow keys don't do anything. BUT... my mouse has a wheel, and I just discovered I can scroll the list with the wheel -- and no other way. It's not quite a "fix" because the part of the list is always off the screen, but the wheel movement doesn't know I can't see it all, so it jumps in increments of what it thinks is displayed -- right over groups of values in the list. Since I can't arrow up/down, I haven't found a way to get to those skipped-over values. For example, if I "wheel" to a place in my Artists field list where the bottom value I can see is "Kelly, R", if I do one down-click on the wheel, the list jumps and the new top value is "Linden, Kathy" -- so a bunch of values were skipped over -- probably because they were "displayed" just off screen.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:53:23 am »

To JimH :

Fixed: Green Eyes skin didn't render edit controls properly.

=> thousend thanks ! ::)

Jean-Marc

MusicHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:38:51 pm »

New oddity renaming files via expression:

I have 387 tracks by Duke Ellington. I updated some tags and in a few cases slightly renamed the song Name and/or Artist. Both Name and Artist are used in my file naming expression, along with my custom Rank field, which via an If expression controls the file's folder.

I then selected all 387 tracks, then Rename/Move/Copy to apply my expression. This should rename and in a few cases move the files. Many tracks changed, no problem.

But, I then edited 2 or 3 more. Not wanting to figure out what might again need renaming/moving, I selected all 387 files and ran Rename/Move .. and it said it changed 8 files.

Hmmm. I didn't recall changing 8 files. So without doing anything to the files/tags, I again selected all 387 files and ran Rename/Move -- and again it said it changed 8 files.

I could repeat this again and again -- always 8 files changed.

Even if I moved out of my Duke Ellington subview, then came back, MC again "changed" 8 files.

EXPLANATION -- MC GETS CONFUSED:

What's happening is this. Duke Ellington recorded certain songs many times over the years. So, they have the same Name and Artist. In my library, files are named by Name and Artist, so these files would have the same filename, except MC makes them unique. When ripped, MC appended (1) or (2) or whatever to the filename. Good!

However, later when I run the Rename\Move process, it apparently looks at one file at a time, not the entire list it will process. And (probably the key factor) it seems to decide how to rename ALL selected files before it starts doing anything.

Then, as MC goes down the Rename list it has built, it sees filename(1) and wants to rename it without the (1). Then it goes to the next file, sees filename(2) and wants to rename it without the (2) -- giving it the same name as it's giving to (1). MC doesn't notice or remember that it just assigned the same filename to the preceding track. It does this all the way through 8 files, trying to give each (1) or (2) or (3) or (etc) the SAME new name. Or, possibly, MC does rename but in effect keeps looping through the files, removing (1), then on the next pass adding (1), etc.

Whatever the behavior, it doesn't succeed. I don't get a warning, but MC wants to (try to) rename all the same files every time I run the process.

I discovered this by examining closely the list of proposed changes that MC displays. I fixed my situation by altering each track's Name to make it unique. I add ~ALT1, ~ALT2, ~ALT3, etc. (tilde to make this part of the Name searchable later, ALT to indicate alternate recordings/versions/performances.)

But it is probably not obvious to the casual user what's happening, so perhaps MC could become smarter about the batch Rename process.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:09 pm »

1.  The "Move / Copy Fields..." dialog doesn't honor the custom name of renamed fields.
Take a look here for more detailed Info.

2.  Trying to copy mp3s from a CD to another location using "Rename, Copy, and Move Files" doesn't work but gives the message
"Not all of the selected tracks can be renamed."
So if I have a mp3-CD I first have to copy all mp3 to a writetable Drive and then move (or copy) all files using some rules in "Rename, Copy, and Move Files".

3.  One minor thing: Changing the volume without using MCs slider (eg. by using a remote control or the vista volume control) doesn't update the slider position in MC until MC gets minimized&restored or until the mouse moves near the top part of MCs window.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »

With a Tile row of 1 Tile (or any number that leaves an incomplete row), MC is unable to scroll down with page down even though the scroll bar shows there are more files below (fix needed mainly for remote controls down arrow or pgdown).

DC

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:28 am »

I have been using the "RGC Audio High Frequency Stimulator" with the Direct-X host in MC's DSP Studio since the Direct-X Host was added to MC's DSP Studio back in I believe MC9 or MC10, and have never encountered this isuue before.

In MC12, every time I open MC I must re-activate this chain as it is not saved, instead the Direct-X host is unchecked and it shows nothing selected within it.

I have clicked on the icons and saved the chain and settings, but MC does not hold it into the next session.

. . . the game is rigged

edbro

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »

I have MC set to start in Audio but each time it will come up initially in the Start page. I tried changing the initial page to different values but it doesn't matter; MC still comes up in the Start page.

I'm not sure if I have the correct entries here but this is what is in my registry:
"Startup - Page (1)"=dword:00000002
"Startup - Mode (1)"=dword:00000000

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:18 am »

MC crashs when you paste content outside of the original image in the internal editor.

Steps to reproduce:
- Select an image, click on edit to launch the internal editor.
- copy the content of the image.
- resize the image to smaller dimensions.
- paste the original image.
- click on resize again, you have a warning message, answer 'yes' > MC crashs.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:50 am »

MC will not play a 128aac internet radio stream, yet I see acc files are supported judging by the fact that MC can be set as the default player for aac files in 'File Associations'

*edit: I was able to play this same stream in FooBar, I also tried turning off my firewall but still no luck with MC playing it
. . . the game is rigged

MusicHawk

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:05 am »

This morning, MC was very "sleepy" again. Yesterday I was tagging some songs in Recently Ripped, zipping right along. Stopped for the day, left MC and Firefox open on the PC.

This morning, tried to resume, but MC is barely responsive. It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to respond to a click, such as to select a track, to select/sort by a column, to select a field in the Tag editor. Everything is so sluggish that I'd say it's unresponsive, except it does respond......... eventually. Just now, I started a song playing (took many, many seconds to start playing) then tried to select a Tag editor field. The field never got selected, and the playback display froze, not updating the time played or progress bar, even though the song kept playing. Not until the song finished 2 minutes later did MC select the Tag editor field.

The "solution" is usually to close and restart MC, so I did. It closed instantly, but clicking, it wouldn't quick restart. It was running in Task Manager, but the UI didn't appear. Usually this situation requires a ful reboot. In this case, after a restart of MC, then about 2 minutes of MC showing in Task Manager but not on-screen, nothing but lots disk I/O, it closed itself. Another click and MC restarted quickly and fully. And now it's back to its normal zippy self.

Likely some other processes ran/are running on the PC (being Windows...) that over time pulled memory from dormant MC. The mystery is why MC can't get it back and resume running normally without so much drama. The first restart effort resulted in nothing but disk I/O, as if MC was doing lots of paging, or database updating, or something. Why did it get so slow, then fail to restart fully the first time, then work fine the second time?

Also curious is that I keep MC open ALL the time on another PC, the one connected to my house audio system, and it too has other Windows stuff running the background and a browser always open. I never have to close/restart MC on it (except to install an update). I just periodically click File > Library and reselect the current library to freshen what it sees. Nightly I automatically pull to that PC all new/changed MC files, including library, songs, cover art, etc. So it's my player AND one of my full backups (the best approach to this I've found). But... I never edit on that PC since it's just for playback. So  maybe the slowdown is related to invoking MC's edit mode(s)?

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:22 am »

Hi !
I've got a big sound issue with this version : I can't read mp3 anymore. They all sound like "skrshkshrshrhshrhksrprsh".
I can read mp3 with Windows Media Player.
It's OK when I install 12.0.504. And KO when I install 12.0.526 again.
I've rebooted several times.
Any idea ? Should I try previous versions to see exactly when the issue appears ?

*** Edit : Problem solved ***
I've just taken a look at the playback options. I was in "DirectSound" mode. I switched to "Wave Out" and played a new track. It worked just fine. I switched back to DirectSound, and it stills works fine... Don't know what happened ::)

*** Edit2 : Problem not completly solved ***
If I set the "Output Mode" to "Wave Out" and back to "DirectSound", the problem disappears. But it comes back each time I restart MC !! If I stay on "Wave Out", I can restart MC, no problem.
Is the "DirectSound" mode better than the "Wave Out" mode ?

Thanks.

Raph

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 01:43:49 pm »

pressing SHIFT-HOME or SHIFT-END in MC12 no longer selects the files as it should (and still does in MJ12)
. . . the game is rigged

phoenix91

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:57:30 am »

Edit View Scheme:
As soon as I click the button step 4: |Edit included files| -> MC12.0.526 hangs (0% CPU)

dcwebman

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:36 am »

This one has been around for a long time but since you're fixing bugs, I thought I'd throw it in again.

The Top Hits smartlist icon in the tree is actually a playlist icon instead of a smartlist icon.
Jeff

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:06 am »

When viewing my library in the panes view under AUDIO,

mouse-wheel will scroll the Album Thumbnails until I select an album and choose "Add To Playing Now", after which the mouse-wheel will no longer work until you click on the Album Thumbnails again.
. . . the game is rigged

MusicHawk

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 10:08:58 am »

A variation of the "MC silently renames" problem is alive and well. I just tried to review a CD I ripped last night. MC was in its common S-L-O-W mode after sitting idle all night, meaning it's slow to respond to keyboard or mouse.

So, apparently, I inadvertently pressed a key, but the clicks hadn't caught up, so I wasn't where I wanted to be. Instead, I deleted one character from a track's Filename tag field. OK, that just means MC should have renamed the song to match the changed Filename value. But it didn't, so the track was instantly "lost".

I realized the situation and tried to change the Filename tag back to match the track, but that didn't fix it. So, the rename was one-way -- I could break a track's Filename via typing but not fix it.

The real fix was to use xplorer2 to copy the entire file path\name, then paste this into MC's Filename field.

This raises some questions that seem like bugs, compared to how MC used to work:

+ Why did MC not change the file's name when I slightly changed the Filename field value?

+ Why did MC not use my typed correction of the Filename field value?

+ Why did MC use my paste of the full Filename field value, but it wouldn't use the same result when created by editing the existing Filename value?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:29 am »

Edit View Scheme:
As soon as I click the button step 4: |Edit included files| -> MC12.0.526 hangs (0% CPU)

Search around for the search editor popup.  Perhaps it's on the second monitor?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phoenix91

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:51 pm »

Search around for the search editor popup.  Perhaps it's on the second monitor?
Sorry Matt, yes it is on the second monitor.  :-[

edbro

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »

Sometimes MC does not draw the main windows. Often, if I have other windows active, MC will not draw the main window but will retain the image of the window that was active before MC took focus.

example, here you can see my file manager and the capture program used to take this shot:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/edbro9/2008-07-30_173754.jpg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »

Sometimes MC does not draw the main windows. Often, if I have other windows active, MC will not draw the main window but will retain the image of the window that was active before MC took focus.

example, here you can see my file manager and the capture program used to take this shot:

Something may be stealing CPU cycles.  Please start a new thread.

MusicHawk

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:22 pm »

New MC lock-up scenario.

For the first time ever, I updated some tags while in the Playing Now view. I normally work in other views, especially Recently Ripped, when checking and tagging new rips. But tonight I removed a few tracks from this view too quickly. I'd played them all, so I found them in Playing Now. I revised a few tags.

Then used Rename/Move to update the tracks that might be affected (my folder/file expression is based on certain tags).

MC acted like it was doing the Rename/Move operation -- then locked solid. Task Manager showed no MC activity (or much of anything else), but I had to kill MC.

When I restarted MC, all the tag changes were lost -- about 63 files. So I retagged, and waited a few minutes hoping MC would update the files, before I did the next step.

Then I selected them all and ran Rename/Move, which found 9 files to update. No problem. Except, suspicious, I selected them all and ran Rename/Move again, and it's doing the same thing I reported earlier -- perpetually trying to rename/move the same 9 files, giving them (1) and (2) etc. Oh well...

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Nested Keywords Cause File To Be Shown Multiple Times In TheaterView
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:05 am »

I have my movie/DVD files tagged with nested keywords to represent multiple genres: ex. "Keywords\Genre\Action", "Keywords\Genre\Comedy".  When I browse keywords in TheaterView the file is shown multiple times - it seems once for each nested keyword.  For example, when browsing keywords for my movies I drill down into Genre and then if I drill down into "Action" I will see the same movie listed twice if it has 2 nested "genres", 3 times if it has 3, etc.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP
Pages: [1]   Go Up