INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Record TV  (Read 4201 times)

Dieter

• Recent member
Cannot Record TV
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:28 am »

I can view TV easily.  However, when I click on the start recording menu item, it starts the recording for about a second and then stops.  I have tried different codecs and video sizes with the same results. 
Dieter Murphy

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Cannot Record TV
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:20:03 am »

Which tuner device?

Email me a log. I am yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:37:21 am »

The device is a kworld terminator video capture board.  I am using a Vista driver for the board.  I have used to board and drivers to capture with other software, but the other software does not control the board very well.

How do I produce a log that I can send you email?
Dieter Murphy

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:48 am »

Help -> Logging...
Check "Output to a log file" checkbox. Make sure TV and Playback types are included in "Types of events to log".

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:28 pm »

I emailed a log several days ago.  However, I have not received a response.  Would the upgrade to MC 13 fix this problem?
Dieter Murphy

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »

I emailed a log several days ago.  However, I have not received a response.  Would the upgrade to MC 13 fix this problem?

I received the log. Thanks. It looks like I will need to do some updating of code. Upgrading to MC13 will not likely fix it at this moment, but any fixes that I make will go into MC13.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:40:51 am »

Sorry, I confused you for another user  :-[

Does your device require an audio cable to connect to the sound card? I see that you were trying to record from SVideo input. Is there a cable connected to your sound card from your video source? If so, did you try selecting a different audio capture device? You need to try this in two ways: on Options, Audio tab, select correct device and input line; or on right-click mene -> TV Options -> Devices, see where the second check mark is placed.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:06 pm »

Sorry, I confused you for another user  :-[

Perhaps I'm the other user who sent you a log.  My problem was in trying to watch analog TV input through a Hauppauge Win TV HR-850.   I sent both MC 12 and MC 13 logs.  I'm sort of stuck waiting to hear from you.

Bill

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 04:09:49 am »

I have the audio cable connected directly from the source to my audio line in port on my sound board. I do not connect the audio to the video capture board.  The operating system does not list my video board as an audio input.  However, it does list all of the ports of my audio board. 

The problem that I am having is not recording sound.  I can record sound and video using another program using the same hardware and driver setup.  My problem is that MC12 does not record anything.  It starts recording and then stops after a second.
Dieter Murphy

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:03:12 am »

The problem that I am having is not recording sound.  I can record sound and video using another program using the same hardware and driver setup.  My problem is that MC12 does not record anything.  It starts recording and then stops after a second.

Since the sound goes to the sound card directly, we need to be sure MC knows which device has it.  When an incorrect device gets inserted in the DirectShow graph, it may not work.

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:56:10 pm »

So what do you want me to do?
Dieter Murphy

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:04 am »

While TV is running, right-click in the display and open submenu TV Options -> Devices. Look at which device is selected. The first check mark should be on your TV tuner device - I do not expect anything wrong with that. The second check mark should be on your sound card. There maybe more than one audio device to choose from. If you are not sure, just try different ones.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 08:09:15 am »

I have tried different codecs and video sizes with the same results. 

Did you actually create different Recording Profiles, or just tried existing ones? If you have not tried creating new profiles, you should try it. Do not forget you need to choose a suitable audio codec too. To rule out either audio or video codec issues, you may want to try choosing "No Compression" for either or both.

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 04:46:15 am »

I tried different profiles including both no compression for video and audio.  I tried WMV, Divx, and others at different resolutions.  MC12 still does not record.  I tried another software package (PowerProducer 5) by Cyberlink.  It detected my video board and recorded properly using the existing drivers and board with no modifications. It recorded the video at 720X480 MPEG2. So I do not think there is anything wrong with my board or drivers. The problem appears to be MC12.
Dieter Murphy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:49:51 am »

Perhaps I'm the other user who sent you a log.  My problem was in trying to watch analog TV input through a Hauppauge Win TV HR-850.   I sent both MC 12 and MC 13 logs.  I'm sort of stuck waiting to hear from you.

Bill

Bill,
I've had good luck lately with the inexpensive USB sticks from Pinnacle.  The ones that don't have a remote.  One user reported trouble with the ones that have their own recording onboard, but that's the only problem I'm aware of.

Jim

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the info on Pinnacle as an alternative.

Video is not hugely important to me but I thought I'd give it a try.  I not inclined to spend any more money on it right now.

I used the WinTV app. that came with the Hauppauge hardware to record from some old VCR tapes using a nominal 6 MB / sec. rate.    It seems to work on a 2.4 GHz AMD dual core based desktop PC with 2 GB of RAM running XP.

However, when I play these mpeg files back in MC 12, playback stops every 20 sec to 2 min.  is the recording at fault or is MC unable to play these files? My next step would be to look for another app. that can play back the mpeg files I recorded.

The WinTV s/w is pretty crummy but MC 12 just isn't working at all for video for me. 

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up