INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WinMobile sync errors  (Read 1886 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
WinMobile sync errors
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:30:11 pm »

As I watch sync details, approximately 1 in 10 files show an error during/after the the upload.  My device is a Sony Xperia, which is a Windows Mobile smartphone.  I connect to it with MS Activesync, and MC13 actually shows 2 devices, one of which is the phone and the other is the removable memory ... the latter being what I'm sync'ing to.

So far, I cannot find anything in common with the files that do cause an error, and it seems to be random.  I am converting from high quality MP3s and OGGs, and it doesn't seem to matter if I convert to lower quality MP3s or OGGs.  Eventually even MS Activesync disconnects.  I'd suspect the 8Gb memory card but it is Sandisk.

Anyone have a clue?  Let me know if I can provide more info ...

Edit:  I believe I may have remedied the intermittant 1/10 problem by trying a different memory card, but Activesync seems to want to time out.  Anyone know a remedy for this?

Also ... in restarting the sync process, MC13 seems to want to replace the files that already exist.  O thought sync'ing meant to only add files that do not exist on the device(?)

Edit2:  I believe some of the rrors may be due to files already existing(?)  That is, after restarting a failed attempt I get nothing but errors.  Correct me if I'm wrong ... but MC13 is apparently converting and then attempting to upload, and reporting an error if the file already exists.  Should it instead be converting and uploading only if the file does not exist?

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: WinMobile sync errors
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:00:30 pm »

I've since switched to removing the memory from the Winmo smartphone, and using a card readr and MC13 seems to be working much better with this "device".  I wonder if MS Activesync, and its timing out for some mysterious reason, was the culprit(?)  It woud be good for all us Winmo device users if we could figure this out ... anyone??

TIA  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »

I do remember an Activesync related problem a while back.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:22:02 am »

I do remember an Activesync related problem a while back.

... which I suppose begs the question as to whether Activesync is absolutely neccessary(?)  As starts up automatically, as it should, but I supose I could kill it with the task manager .. but I don't know how the Winmo device would react(?)

?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:05 am »

I don't think Activesync is necessary.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:14:59 am »

I don't think Activesync is necessary.

I believe I found a remedy, leastwise for sync'ing MC13 with an Activesync device (ie, Windows Mobile).

On your device, goto Settings=>(tab)Coonections=>USB to PC

and enable "DisK Drive" instead of "Activesync"

On your PC, configure Activesync for "Allow USB" in the "Connections Settings"

Now the transfers happen much faster, and I'm not having any problems with hundreds of files.

However, I believe you'll need change back to Activesync on the device when you want to sync e-mail, contacts, calendar, and anything else you use Activesync to manage.

This works with Activesync loading when it detects your device.  I haven't yet tried to see if indeed Activesync doesn't need to run at all and can be closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up