INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?  (Read 11810 times)

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »

I hate to argue with you, but you must have a much bigger mind than I do.  I find it mind boggling to look back on all we've done:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/whitepapers/components.html

Many of those components individually represent multiple months of our time -- sometimes more than a year.

Installed, a single version of MC must be on the order of 30MB or 300 million bits.  Flip any bit and it probably won't work right.  

It's complex enough.

I didn't say it wasn't complex enough...  I just said delivering features on time is hardly mind bobbling.  I understand the pride and sense of accomplishment and I agree J River has done a lot of great things.  But just what makes it mind boggling?  If it is, what is an Operating System?  Mind numbing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »

I didn't say it wasn't complex enough...  I just said delivering features on time is hardly mind bobbling.  I understand the pride and sense of accomplishment and I agree J River has done a lot of great things.  But just what makes it mind boggling?  If it is, what is an Operating System?  Mind numbing?
I used to own a UNIX OS company, Esix.  Intel used it in their factories to make their chips.  I think that MC is about as complex as an OS.

But, as I said, I don't want to argue with you.  I respect your opinion.

I hope you're back from Iraq.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:24 am »

I don't mind arguing!  

Please...  it's us consumers that should feel luck that JRiver listens to us?  Come on...  we do more for them (keep them employed full time and turn a profit one hopes) than they do for us!

I would hope that JRiver is listening to us, duh.  But to provide the type of interaction and feedback at the development level to individual users is not something I have seen a lot of.  My apolgies for not being clear.

You're making me think you've never actually worked for a software company - or at least not a very good one.  I can't recall any recent software that was bug-free (except maybe some control systems, and even then...) but the complexity of delivering features on time is hardly "mind boggling".

For certain software products this is absolustely true.  But for others such as building Web server performance and security fitlering software, there are many layers of complexity involved such as interacting with the OS Kernel, the Web server, the Web site, routers, proxies, the Web browser, other server filters, and so on and so forth.  So it definintely depends upon what you are actually building and the features going in to it.  Imho, JRiver likely has many layers to deal with at every feature add, so I'm sure it is very complex, and not every scenario can be considered a head of time, so that's what I mean when I say it is mind boggling.  It doesn't make it impossible, but very difficult.

It's kind of like trying to parent your kids.  It can be done successfully, but to think that you are going to be able to turn that kid into exaclty what you want when you want, well good luck with that! ;)
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 12:49:37 am »

Are we doing this AGAIN??? Where the heck is that bloody record plugged in so I can take it out? There are a zillion threads with what we want, suggested, pleaded, waited, the works. This is about JRiver saying something for a change, and not just staying behind a wall of silence. Or is just going to come out that you're asking people to upgrade to fantasies and thin air? Enough!

I agree!

As well I'am missing a road map ... no idea if MC14 will offer features I would use ...
Have you collected all the feature requests for MC13 and made a priority list? Or did all the users post for nothing?
I would like to see e.g. 100 features and every user shall be able to give 10 votes.

I'am not willing to post all my wishes here again to this V14 forum - that way it seems to make no sense for me at all ...

greets

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:56 am »

I don't mind arguing!  

I would hope that JRiver is listening to us, duh.  But to provide the type of interaction and feedback at the development level to individual users is not something I have seen a lot of.  My apolgies for not being clear.

Fair enough...  and I agree this level of open communication is quite rare for commercial software.  I just found it strange to consider us lucky.

Imho, JRiver likely has many layers to deal with at every feature add, so I'm sure it is very complex, and not every scenario can be considered a head of time, so that's what I mean when I say it is mind boggling.

Let's not go too far down the road of discussing class methodology, data hiding, and other ways of avoiding bugs - because I suspect neither of us is an expert in the field - but I'm just not boggled by the complexity.  Could I do it myself?  Hell no!  But I can't fly a plane either, and that's not mind boggling to me.

It's kind of like trying to parent your kids.  It can be done successfully, but to think that you are going to be able to turn that kid into exaclty what you want when you want, well good luck with that!

That's the beauty of parenting (and software development?)...  you don't always know where it's going to end up, but with sufficient dedication and skill, you're very likely (though not assured!) to create a great product.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 04:27:55 am »

I used to own a UNIX OS company, Esix.  Intel used it in their factories to make their chips.  I think that MC is about as complex as an OS.

But, as I said, I don't want to argue with you.  I respect your opinion.

I hope you're back from Iraq.

I know, Jim, but sometimes I just can't resist.  I promise, though, I'm doing better!

Yes, I've been back from Iraq for a few years - now I'm stuck at the Pentagon working behind a desk.  Some days I don't see the sunlight and wish I was back in Iraq :-)

craft

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 05:24:25 am »

null

MrHaugen

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 06:12:29 am »

Some new stuff from MC 14 Preview thread:

Added REST web service interface to Library Server.  Use the URL [library server address]/MCWS/v1/doc or [library server address]/MCWS/v1/wsdl to see documentation. (still a work in progress)

New Remote configuration in Tools/Options/Remote -- adds HID devices like keyboards and gamepads, can be used for any remote.

Tweaked version of Noire skin -- lost 5 pounds.

New import on first install -- you'll see it if you don't allow MC14 to use the MC13 library.  MC searches for folders with media and gives you a checkbox list you can import.  Import takes advantage of multi-core processors

Video tagging via sidecar support

Trees use animation for scrolling

Support for loading Photoshop (psd) images

Native support of DirectShow DSP filters in DSP Studio

Image thumbnails get drawn with a frame

Reading MP3 ID3v2 tags is faster/i]

A wishlist like the one that was introduced in MC13 would be nice. To have a list of things that J River would like to focus on and to strike it through when it's implemented.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:21 pm »

- xbox 360 syncin yes? no? ever?
XBox playback is working now.  Please see this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up