INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Equivalent on Mac  (Read 1878 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
MC Equivalent on Mac
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:25:16 pm »

What program exists that is a nearly identical replica of Media Center on the Mac?

Otherwise, what are good media program for the Mac?  I've used Play (for FLAC) but it is so barebones and doesn't even show cover art, let alone movies or pictures.  The key requirements are FLAC music and DVD rip support.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: MC Equivalent on Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »

MC on the Mac of course! I'm using VMware Fusion (about $80, but they give you thirty days free, and happened to send me a coupon on day #20 for 50% off). Works great, though I'm using it for music only.

j

benn600

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:05:20 am »

Does that require you to run an entire Windows Desktop?  I use the free Virtual Box which appears to do everything needed--I have several Windows installations for different uses.  I am hoping to get MC to appear to run standalone (hide desktop, start menu, etc.) so can that program (or Virtual Box) offer standalone window running?  With the desktop it seems like it wouldn't be too terrible to hide everything outside of the MC window.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:24 am »

Since you have that big server going, why not RDP/VNC from the mac into the server.  Once there, and logged on as a discrete user, fire up MC with the audio/video streaming back to the mac.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »

I am not a fan of remote access.  I use it quite often for other purposes but don't want to rely on it for MC.  Plus, that would only allow a single user and I don't like the idea of running a media app on the server--for personal use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up