INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing To Folder with External Encoder Stalls @ 50%  (Read 1977 times)

winterminute

• Junior Woodchuck
Syncing To Folder with External Encoder Stalls @ 50%
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:08:03 am »

I'm syncing my collection to another folder converting all FLAC files and leaving MP3s/WMAs alone.  This works pretty well except after letting it run all night I came in this morning and noticed that 3 conversions (I have 4/4 cores used for conversion) have stalled at 50%.  They stalled on FLAC files, but the external encoder (DBPoweramp's Coreconvert.exe) hasn't been invoked or at least isn't showing up in my process list.  If I restart the sync, then it will chug along doing 3-4 simultaneous conversions and then eventually 3/4 will stall, but on a different set of files.   I have Dbpoweramp set to write errors, but so far nothing.

Each time it stalls it seems to be on FLAC files, so obviously it has to do with conversion, but I can't tell if this is a MC problem or a dbpoweramp.  I figure since dbpoweramp isn't running and since it can convert those files just fine (if I restart sync) and since dbpoweramp isn't reporting errors, I'd start with MC.

Is there a sync log or can I turn on extended logging to learn more about what MC is doing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Syncing To Folder with External Encoder Stalls @ 50%
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:29 am »

It's possible that there are errors in the files.  We just added code for this kind of problem in MC14:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53909.0

MC has logging under Help.

winterminute

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:31 pm »

Hmm, I don't see anything stange in the log file, I think I've pulled the relevent details.  The interesting thing is that I see both the temp WAV file and the converted WMA file, so I think that dbpoweramp has done its job.  I wonder if MC didn't correctly check that the dbpoweramp process had completed.  Does this sound like the bug you fixed in MC14?  I looked at the changes lists, but didn't see anything that sounded like this problem.  I'm not sure I want to spend the money on an upgrade just to fix this bug so hopefully this can be solved another way.

1374665: 2824: Reader: CLocalReader::OpenInternal: Opening: C:\Users\Public\Music\Music Library\Lossless\Collective Soul\Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid [Atlantic]\04 - Collective Soul - Sister Don't Cry.flac
383924201: 6060: Handheld: CPortableDriveBase::TransferFile:     Reading 7340025 bytes
383924232: 6060: Handheld: CPortableDriveBase::TransferFile:     Writing 3151409 bytes
383924248: 6060: Handheld: CPortableDriveBase::TransferFile:     Sending progress
383924263: 6060: Handheld: CPortableDriveBase::TransferFile:     EOF
383924294: 6060: Handheld: CPortableDriveBase::TransferFile: Finished transfer
1375289: 2824: Reader: CLocalReader::OpenInternal: Creating: C:\Users\Alias\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 12\Temp\04 - Collective Soul - Sister Don't Cry (temp).wav
1383776: 3520: Reader: CLocalReader::Close: Closing: C:\Users\Alias\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 12\Temp\04 - Collective Soul - Sister Don't Cry (temp).wav
1383791: 3520: Reader: CLocalReader::Close: Closing: C:\Users\Alias\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 12\Temp\04 - Collective Soul - Sister Don't Cry (temp).wav

winterminute

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:32 am »

The other odd thing is that the number of stalled conversion is always n-1 where n is the number of simultaneous allowed conversions.  I originally had 4 and 3 stalled.  I switched to 3 and 2 stalled.  Eventually it will get through the entire sync list except for the n stalled where it will wait forever.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:23:22 am »

It was this fix I was thinking about.  It wasn't our bug.

2. Fixed: gracefully ignore corrupt flac files with insane number of supposed comments in the metadata.

You don't have to spend money to try MC14.  It has a 30 day trial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up