INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enter key in Theater View  (Read 2449 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Enter key in Theater View
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:02:01 pm »

Running 14.0.071 and notice that the Playing Now screen in Theater View no longer honors the setting for the enter key. I have it set to show menu but it doesn't show any menu. Even the righ-click doesn't show a menu. I can't seem to find a way to access a menu for any playing now item so I can move it, remove it, play now etc.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Enter key in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:44:11 pm »

I can't speak for build 71, but in build 73 (beta) I can say that it is working correctly for me (both displaying the menu and the options setting).  So, either:

1. it has been fixed in an upcoming build
2. something is wrong with your specific install (maybe try un/re-installing it)
3. something else is going on with your machine that is blocking it from appearing

EDIT: I see nothing listed in the change log for build 72 or 73 that seems relevant, but they don't always list every single little fix.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:02:16 pm »

Could disabled Vista Aero be the cause?

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:26:45 pm »

I checked my 2 systems and 1 of my friends and they all do the same thing. Vista is running on all systems and Aero is enabled. Funny thing is that Enter wasn't working on any menu when I first installed .71. I went into Options changed the setting to open item, went back to Theater view and opened a menu and then went back into options and set it back to show menu. At that point the menu now worked everywhere except playing now.

I fit matters, pressing Enter only displays the file info panel.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:32:16 pm »

Running 14.0.071 and notice that the Playing Now screen in Theater View no longer honors the setting for the enter key. I have it set to show menu but it doesn't show any menu. Even the righ-click doesn't show a menu. I can't seem to find a way to access a menu for any playing now item so I can move it, remove it, play now etc.
Enter probably shouldn't be used for Theater View, since it conflicts with the OK key on a remote, which is Enter and used for many purposes in Theater View.

On a Media Center remote, the "i" (information) key will jump to Playing Now.

If you have a good remote, you shouldn't need to do any programming.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:13:57 am »

We're phasing out showing of menus and replacing it with the info panel / command rollers.  So in effect, the Playing Now roller is the new menu.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:50 am »

I failed at reading comprehension earlier.  When I tested it, I was testing within the normal view schemes in Theater View, not in Playing Now.  (FWIW... I don't use/like the pop-up menus and prefer the roller implementation anyway, so I'm fine with it.  Just trying to help test.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »

I personally like using both.

Why? Because without the drop down menu it means I have to first drill into what ever I want to play and then move the cursor back up to the roller after drilling, then find the option I want to select, and then select it.

That's like 2-3 extra steps that not having a menu would force on the users.  I really hope they are not removed. :-X
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:55 pm »

We're phasing out showing of menus and replacing it with the info panel / command rollers.  So in effect, the Playing Now roller is the new menu.

I prefer to use the roller instead of the menu if I'm in one of those screens. But if I'm not, there is no applicable roller. For example, imagine I'm using the movie view consisting of the categories Genre - Director - Year - Duration - Rating. In Genre, I've selected (but not clicked/entered) "Film-Noir." Realizing I only have a dozen or so such movies, I want to go directly to the file list. With the menu, I can do this. Without it, I have to navigate through another four categories. It seems to me this is the only method that can work in this circumstance—the action has to be selected while the item has focus.

Personally, I'd probably be happier using another remote button programmed to go to the file list, but there doesn't seem to be a MCC command for this.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:48 pm »

the action has to be selected while the item has focus.

Precisely
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »

Personally, I'd probably be happier using another remote button programmed to go to the file list, but there doesn't seem to be a MCC command for this...

...but I can program the necessary keystrokes to my Firefly remote. One-button access to the file list—that's better. :)

gappie

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:53:16 pm »

...but I can program the necessary keystrokes to my Firefly remote. One-button access to the file list—that's better. :)
there is one keystroke that works if that helps, i use that. its <APPSKEY>.

:)
gab

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 04:12:02 pm »

Yes, that's what I use ("Application" in my remote software) to get the context menu. What I meant was a keystroke combination to go directly to the file list (i.e., {Application}{Down, 5}{Enter}).

gappie

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »

Yes, that's what I use ("Application" in my remote software) to get the context menu. What I meant was a keystroke combination to go directly to the file list (i.e., {Application}{Down, 5}{Enter}).
ah ..  :P i remember that i did something like that in 12, the problem i had that sometimes i ended up somewhere else .  :) but 14 is much more coherent in that aspekt.
guess an mcc command would be nice then, the roller wont never be of much help. i keep my lists fairly short so 2 or 3 times enter to get through the all thumbs are not a point.

i do use the menu also fairly often, but that is because i miss commands in the roller, i just hope they will get included.

:)
gab

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »

i keep my lists fairly short so 2 or 3 times enter to get through the all thumbs are not a point.

Before I understood jumping to the file list was possible, I created my views this way. I also included a separate "comprehensive" (i.e., many categories) view to handle any very specific filtering need (e.g., "highly-rated movies from this decade that are less than two hours in duration"). Now I realize by putting the categories in a sensible order, I can probably get by with just one view (per video type). The first few would be used to narrow the file list to a manageable size in the usual way—which would be displayed as soon as that is accomplished. For more specific "filtering," those categories might be skipped (i.e., "All" selected) to get to more obscure categories further down the list. Again, as soon as a selection is made in one or two of those categories, one is going to want to go directly to the file list.

It sounds complicated, but I find it much more convenient than having to think about what kind of selection I want to make ahead of time—so I can select the appropriate view to use. The advantage to being able to stay in one view is huge if I'm "browsing" my movies, rather than just selecting one to play. In that case, the nature of my successive queries is random. I don't want to have to keep changing views to make the next selection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up