INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO problem  (Read 2087 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
ASIO problem
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:43 pm »

Had a strange problem when I updated to this (130) build from 094.  After install, had severe stuttering.  Reverted back to 094 and problem continued, although the amount of stutter was less, but still very choppy.

When I went to Output Mode Settings->ASIO Settings and unchecked "Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)", only then did the problem go away. It seems that the option to prevent stutter was suddenly causing it.  

Once fixed on 094, I was able to install 130 and playback was fine. Kept option unchecked.

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
ASIO problem
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »

Hi,

I was forced to download the new 14.0.130 today as I was informed that my JRiver Media Center player wouldn't work til I did. Well now all my library audio sounds like  portable CD player running on dead batteries. The sound is all broke up and sounds like it is in slow motion. I tried opening up the DSP but the page is so long that only 1/3 of the page is even showing and there's no way to scroll down to where the settings are. I have tried rebooting but with no luck. I'm open to advise on how to return to playing my audio library. Thank you.

Edit: I tried playing back a CD thru the player and the same issue has cropped up there also. I do use Asioforall with my wma library but all the setting on that haven't changed and it was working only 8 hours ago just fine before I was forced into this new download. I am now wondering if it's the Asio that's doing this to me.

Regards,
Robin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
ASIO problem
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

Try switching playback options -- DirectShow, Wave Out, or WASAPI.

It's a good build.  You could try reinstalling.

Audionut

• Recent member
ASIO problem
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »

Hi Robin,

Hey my first post on this board  ;D

Try to disable the "large hardware buffer" in the playback / output settings with ASIO. Someone mentioned it above, it worked for a friend of mine to fix his distortion issue after the forced .130 install.

The version works on my setup with another driver ok, but I was surprised to jump to 130 on the auto update, a bit unusual. Updates before were always behind the release version of "betas" posted here. Which I found good practice by the way.

Regards,

Joerg

Hi,

I was forced to download the new 14.0.130 today as I was informed that my JRiver Media Center player wouldn't work til I did. Well now all my library audio sounds like  portable CD player running on dead batteries. The sound is all broke up and sounds like it is in slow motion. I tried opening up the DSP but the page is so long that only 1/3 of the page is even showing and there's no way to scroll down to where the settings are. I have tried rebooting but with no luck. I'm open to advise on how to return to playing my audio library. Thank you.

Edit: I tried playing back a CD thru the player and the same issue has cropped up there also. I do use Asioforall with my wma library but all the setting on that haven't changed and it was working only 8 hours ago just fine before I was forced into this new download. I am now wondering if it's the Asio that's doing this to me.

Regards,
Robin

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
ASIO problem
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »

Try switching playback options -- DirectShow, Wave Out, or WASAPI.

It's a good build.  You could try reinstalling.

OK, I 1st tried a System Restore and then redownloading 14.0.130 and nothing changed. I then tried Directshow and that worked fine so it's Asioforall that's acting up here. As I use Win XP, WASAPI isn't available for me. For best sound quality, it's ASIOFORALL period. This is the 1st time a Media Cener upgrade has messed up my Asio plugin. I will try removing the Asioforall and redownloading it, but I doubt it'll have any change. t this point I'lm willing to try anything as going w/o Asio for me is not an option, that's where the quality lies for Win XP, definitely not Directshow. I use a USB transport for my library but just to see if it would make a difference, I switched back over to my internal sound card and had the same issue of there.

Audionut, I don't use the large hardware buffer, it's never been enabled. I don't mess with the advanced setting and I've never had an issue with Asioforall til this lastest download. Thanks for the effort tho.  ;D

Robin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
ASIO problem
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »

Please see the wiki for a possible solution:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/ASIO

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: ASIO problem
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:01 pm »

Ahh, that was a much better understanding of the answer Jim. Audionut, I thought you talking about the Asioforall's Advance setting for Hardware Buffer. I see now that there's a Hardware Buffer Setting in the Media Center's Output Mode settings that I've never really noticed before. I unchecked it, problem solved. Thanks Jim for steering my post to the right answer thread.  ;D
Deleting Asioforall wasn't a total waste as I discovered an updated dec2009 download so I got updated on that end too. All's well that ends well. hahahaha

Robin

Audionut

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »

Great, glad that you're up and running again!

Joerg

HiFiTubes

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:31 am »

Would still be nice to have an explanation of why this has changed as requested in the other thread.

Matt can you chime in here?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:25:54 am »

There was a bug with the option "Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)" that caused problems when changing the sound card's buffer size.  Stopping and playing a second time would work on some cards.

This issue is fixed in build 131 and later.

We recommend using the new option once you have the latest build.  By using the largest possible hardware buffers, you reduce the chance of skips and hiccups in the sound.  

The only downside is that this increases latency by fractions of a second, but that is irrelevant in a music playback situation.  You would only care about that if you were doing real-time synthesizer work, etc.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HiFiTubes

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:16 am »

Thanks Matt, much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up