INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI problems  (Read 5271 times)

yolatengo

WASAPI problems
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:21:42 am »

JRiver MC would be exactly that if WASAPI working

Setup: MC Version 14.0.155.  Windows Vista SP2.   Musical Fidelity V-DAC (external USB digital to analogue converter) in turn connected to Hifi

Bug 1
Selection of device in 'WASAPI settings' dialog not working - select my USB VDAC from 'device' drop-down in the 'WASAPI settings' dialog.  Sound is not directed to the VDAC, but still is directed to my default Windows playback device (Realtek soundcard and crappy speakers).

Bug 2
So decided to disable Realtek soundcard in Windows and set VDAC as default sound device (thus forcing sound to come through VDAC/Hifi)  Exclusive access selected in both MC WASAPI settings and on Windows Speaker properties.  Sound now comes through VDAC/ Hifi speakers but not with exclusive access - windows system and any other sounds still mixed in through these.  Cross checked by using exclusive mode with Foobar - system and other sounds are not output when Foobar playing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WASAPI problems
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:41:09 am »

MC has settings for WASAPI, where you now can choose a sound card (last several builds).   Try the build from the top of this board.  Options are in Audio/Output Mode Settings.  Set your sound device there.

I don't believe there are any MC WASAPI bugs at this point.  It could be your driver.  WASAPI works for many people who use MC on a wide range of equipment.

yolatengo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:51:51 am »

Hi JimH

As per details in my last post, I am doing exactly as you say (ie choosing the soundcard from the WASAPI settings dialog, and on the latest build)

Any further thoughts?  Would suspect my drivers, if wasn't for fact that exclusive access is working from Foobar as expected  (would much prefer to use MC as foobar is not v good UI)

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:29 am »

Try uninstalling foobar.  If it has exclusive control, MC won't have access.

But drivers still may be an issue.  Did you try the manufacturer's support?

WASAPI does work in MC as expected.

You're not using XP are you?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:17:22 am »

Selection of device in 'WASAPI settings' dialog not working - select my USB VDAC from 'device' drop-down in the 'WASAPI settings' dialog.  Sound is not directed to the VDAC, but still is directed to my default Windows playback device (Realtek soundcard and crappy speakers).
That says that the sound device is unavailable to MC from the OS.

So decided to disable Realtek soundcard in Windows and set VDAC as default sound device (thus forcing sound to come through VDAC/Hifi)
You would expect this then to work.  I would.
Exclusive access selected in both MC WASAPI settings and on Windows Speaker properties.
I don't think you should set it in Windows Speaker properties.  That might cause a problem.

murrayp

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:17 am »

Hi Jim,
Wasapi still doesn't work for me with a Sony Vaio, W7 to USB and dCS dacs in exclusive mode. latest build off your site today.  dCS use a standard Windows usb driver.  If I set to minimum buffering (50ms) it runs ok, but with cliks and pops every few seconds.  If I use bigger buffers it gets worse.  If I use say 0.9s, the play locks up (no sound, spectrum stops moving, time counter does not progress etc after a few seconds).  If I set the buffer back to 50ms, push stop and play again, it runs again as before.  It seems odd to me that things could get so out of hand that it locks the actual play up.  With another dac that uses its own driver your Wasapi works fine on this computer.  Two other  media players do manage to run wasapi exclusive in my set up properly. One at least as far as I know attends carefully to loading the USB buffer every 10ms packet requested by dCS.  Would you suggest it is my hardware interacting with the way dCS perhaps do their asynchronous USB transmission?  Meantime ASIO works.  
tks
Murray

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:14 am »

murrayp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:53:19 am »

not the same problem Jim - I'm just using a standard USB output - that one is dedicated to their interface.  Here's another tid bit - Wasapi/JRiver plays fine on my computer with 48kHz files, but clicks and pops with 44.1.  Is there something about the clock ratio between 12 MHz USB clock and 44.1 kHz audio clock being a bit problematic maybe?  Foobar exhibits similar problems for me.  KMplayer works fine as does Reclock - beats me but there seems to be something subtle about the Wasapi handling.  The longer the buffer the worse it gets as I've said before.  Anyway - hope this may point to something. Thanks for thinking about it! 

DigitalDirect

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:50:12 am »

When playing streaming video over the Internet, one can change the audio device in video playback options. However, although supposedly WASAPI is enabled, the volume control in the player still works, suggesting that it's not really in WASAPI mode. The audio stream is compressed WMA, 128 kbits, so is this what it's supposed to be doing?

In other scenarios, such as playing WMA lossless or WAV local audio tracks, the MC volume control is disabled, as one would expect.

Also, if you stop playing the stream, and check Player Options, a different device is selected, the one usually used for local audio playback, compared to what was set up in Video Playback. Is this what is intended? Apparently the audio device in video playback selected is not changed globally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up