Networks and Remotes > Remotes

JRiver Gizmo -- stream your media from home -- or use Android as a remote

<< < (4/26) > >>

jitainss:
Hi Jim,

Still no joy in being able to log in through Gizmo from an external wifi though able to log in from my internal wifi. The Belkin router has been configured to allow access through the same port as stated in Mediacenter and entered in Gizmo. The Belkin Technical people have escalated this from 1 to 2 to level 3 assistance but have still not been able to help. Since the internet provider uses a dynamic address I do have my WAN address sometimes differing on my router versus what appears on the "whatsmyip" address. However, at times they appear identical and even then I am not able to access (using the test connection to the server option). One explanation I have been given by my internet service provider is that the Singapore interney system has a firewall which may be blocking access to the port and that cannot be changed since it is common for all users. Do you think this could be the reason and if yes is there any way to get around this problem?

Thanks,
Jitain

JimH:

--- Quote from: jitainss on August 28, 2010, 11:54:36 pm ---Since the internet provider uses a dynamic address I do have my WAN address sometimes differing on my router versus what appears on the "whatsmyip" address.

--- End quote ---
That's the problem.  Whatsmyip will show you your outside address.  You must use it from outside your network.  If it changes, you must change again.

--- Quote --- However, at times they appear identical and even then I am not able to access (using the test connection to the server option).

--- End quote ---
That's also a problem.

--- Quote ---One explanation I have been given by my internet service provider is that the Singapore interney system has a firewall which may be blocking access to the port and that cannot be changed since it is common for all users. Do you think this could be the reason and if yes is there any way to get around this problem?

--- End quote ---
Yes, that would explain it.  The port needs to be open.  MC's options let you change the port.  TCP Port is the setting under Library Server.

MC can also test for you.  It's the next option down from the port setting (under Media Network).  This is in the article I cited above.

Read on google or wikipedia about how to use telnet to test a port.  Or try a port scanner.

swinster:

--- Quote from: swinster on August 26, 2010, 06:02:27 pm ---Yes, i am searching using the phone, but as a mater of fact I did look at the Android web site on a PC to see it I could see the app - you CAN'T see any apps or search the market this way, it simply tels you to use your phone.

The phone is running version 2.1?!? I know 2.2 is out, but it isn't officially available from HTC for this phone.

--- End quote ---

Well, I had a friend check his HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and Gizmo pops up there. Looks like this app isn't available fo Android 2.1. Shame

splashdwn1:
I would just like to thank y'all for this app!  I have been an avid MC user for years and would never think of using anything else, but when I got my new HTC EVO I was so excited to find this app.  All my music from home at my fingertips is a dream come true!

I do have a couple of desperately needed features with the WebPlay interface, but from what I've found that is a seperate animal which Gizmo only interacts with to play on Android so I'll post my wishlist over there.

Thanks again!

marko:
I've just finished a 90 minute drive, listening to shuffled Dylan tracks via Gizmo all the way and it never faltered. Brilliant.

My only moan is that in portrait view, I cannot see or access the "Play" option. To get at that, I need to turn the phone round into landscape mode. Otherwise, what a cracking idea, too cool for words!!

-marko

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version