INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates  (Read 1185 times)

Evelynpc

Duplicates
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:25:53 pm »

http:// Is there any way to eliminate duplicates?
I have my music collection in drive D: and I have a backup of the same collection in an external drive E:. After installing Media Center it went searching all my drives and included both sets of music. It is an extensive collection and doing this manually would take forever. Is there any way to prevent the music files in my backup drive from being included?

crisnee

• World Citizen
Re: Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:24 am »

Hi, If I understand you correctly, it should be pretty simple.

Just to be safe, back up the database.

First go to Auto Import, and make sure the drive you don't want available to MC is not listed there. If it is, delete the path. Set up auto import so just the drives/folders that you want available to MC are specified.

Now, to get rid of the files.

Let's say the files you don't want are on Drive G. In MC Go to drive G in the tree under files and list just the files on that drive.

Select all of them, right click and select delete. If I remember correctly, you'll come up with three options. DO NOT choose the last option, option 3, which is to physically delete the files. I'm not sure what the difference between one and two is; to be really safe try option 1 first. If that works great, if not option 2 will. Just remember, unless you actually want to purge your disk of the music/video files do not use option 3. You just want them out of MC.  That should do it.

-Chris

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Duplicates
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:09:37 am »

i believe option 1 removes them from the media library but doesnt touch the files (this is the option you want)

option 2 puts them in the recycle bin, option 3 deletes permanently.

but yeah... just specify the folder(s) you want to import and don't let the program search all your hard drives and you will be good to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up