INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple lossless conversion  (Read 13432 times)

zagor

• Recent member
Apple lossless conversion
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:42:16 am »

Hi guys,

I converted my 2000+ CD's to ape format years ago. The tags (including cover art and lyrics) are in perfect shape.
To use this library on ipods i'm keeping an mp3 converted library as well.
Now I want to simplify things and convert all the library to Apple lossles format.
a-) How can I do this conversion in MC?
b-) Would the resulting Apple lossless files retain the original tags?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Apple lossless conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:49:32 am »

ALAC is closed and proprietary, which makes it difficult to support nicely.

For this reason, Media Center doesn't have an ALAC encoder.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audunth

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »

I don't have an Ipod, but I've read that you can get it to support FLAC. Maybe APE too? I guess it requires flashing your Ipod with unofficial firmware though, or patching it in some way...
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »

Why wouldn't you just want to use the handheld support in MC to generate MP3s on the fly when needed (optionally caching them via stacks if you don't want to re-encode them each time you sync)?  Using APE or FLAC is going to be MUCH more interoperable with other software, and won't lock you into a proprietary file format.

Using Lossless files on an iPod will provide no discernible increase in quality compared to a LAME -v3 (or so) MP3, and you'll have a TON more space available on the iPod for file storage.  The DAC on an iPod is a cheap, consumer-focused POS, and even if there IS a quality difference between the lossless version and the MP3 (which is debatable as the quality of the MP3 increases), the crap DAC on the iPod is going to "cover it up".

I use MC's built in High-Quality Portable setting for my MP3 conversions on sync (which is LAME -v5).  It doesn't matter WHAT native format the files are inside MC (mostly MP3 and FLAC), because MC always converts them to the nice, compact MP3 when I sync to the handheld.  I have MC keep these converted files via the Conversion Cache feature so that it doesn't have to re-create them each time I sync if it had already been synced before.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

I don't have an Ipod, but I've read that you can get it to support FLAC. Maybe APE too? I guess it requires flashing your Ipod with unofficial firmware though, or patching it in some way...
You may mean Rockbox.

audunth

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:12:44 pm »

Yeah I've read about the Rockbox firmware, but I don't know if that's the only option..?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hirez24

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:00:22 pm »

Why wouldn't you just want to use the handheld support in MC to generate MP3s on the fly when needed (optionally caching them via stacks if you don't want to re-encode them each time you sync)?  Using APE or FLAC is going to be MUCH more interoperable with other software, and won't lock you into a proprietary file format.

Using Lossless files on an iPod will provide no discernible increase in quality compared to a LAME -v3 (or so) MP3, and you'll have a TON more space available on the iPod for file storage.  The DAC on an iPod is a cheap, consumer-focused POS, and even if there IS a quality difference between the lossless version and the MP3 (which is debatable as the quality of the MP3 increases), the crap DAC on the iPod is going to "cover it up".

I use MC's built in High-Quality Portable setting for my MP3 conversions on sync (which is LAME -v5).  It doesn't matter WHAT native format the files are inside MC (mostly MP3 and FLAC), because MC always converts them to the nice, compact MP3 when I sync to the handheld.  I have MC keep these converted files via the Conversion Cache feature so that it doesn't have to re-create them each time I sync if it had already been synced before.

You Have a good point about the ipod dac sucking when you have headphones connected to it, but I have mine connected to my kenwood car deck via usb. By bypassing the the ipods dac and using the superior dac of the kenwood the benefit of apple lossless is very apparent. I keep everything stored as flac on my pc and i have used dbpoweramp to transcode everything to import to the ipod in apple lossless.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:47:52 pm »

You Have a good point about the ipod dac sucking when you have headphones connected to it, but I have mine connected to my kenwood car deck via usb. By bypassing the the ipods dac and using the superior dac of the kenwood the benefit of apple lossless is very apparent.

I do this in my car too (I have a Pioneer system with USB inputs).  I haven't actually seen any comprehensive analysis that shows that using the dock-connector actually DOES avoid the DAC in the iPod (it is entirely possible that it is still running the audio through the DAC even when you are using the dock connector output).  Maybe a scientific analysis exists that shows that this avoids the DAC and preserves a bit-perfect output, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that Apple is still mucking with the signal in some way on the way out of the dock connector.  I'd guess they're doing it whatever way is cheapest and easiest.  But.... Who knows?

In any case... There's still no need to go lossless with ANY car audio system.  However, if you're taking the iPod DAC out of the chain, then you would certainly want to go with a much higher-quality MP3 (than -v5) to avoid audible quality degradation.  So, instead of using the High-Quality Portable handheld transcoding setting, use LAME -v0 (called Extreme in MC's UI) instead.  That'll be absolutely transparent on ANY car audio system (really, any audio system at all, but in the noisy car audio environment it can't even be argued).

MC can manage the transcoding from FLAC for you, and you'll save a bunch of space on your iPod in the bargain too.  And, you don't end up with a bunch of proprietary Apple Lossless files that only iTunes and Quicktime can handle well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »

Actually, I just looked it up... The audio you get out of the Dock Connector is STILL analog, and still routes through the iPod's DAC.  The 4th Gen iPod and later uses a high-quality Wolfson Microelectronics DAC, similar to the one used in many high-end CD players, and it actually has a SPDIF connection on the chip, but Apple does not use it, and it is not wired to anything!  There IS NO WAY to get truly digital audio out of an iPod, other than to use a computer for playback.

If you play a file back off of an iPod via iTunes (a function only available in newer versions of iTunes), it does then actually transfer the digital file over the USB connection and "plays" the file via the computer.  Because the file system on the iPod is encrypted, this is only possible using iTunes though.  All other audio output via the dock connector goes through the DAC to analog before it goes out via USB.

If you have a newer iPod, though, they have a pretty nice DAC.  Not quite as good as one you might buy yourself in a nice AV Receiver, but still pretty darn good.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »

I wouldn't convert to ALAC mostly because MC only has basic support for tags in m4a.  Basic support is fine for converting to Ipod Apple only has limited tag display. 

I have the opposite where I have a bunch of applelossless and have needed to convert to Flac with Foobar so as to make custom tags visible in MC.

Craig

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

glynor is mostly correct. MP3 is good and transparent at high quality settings. The DAC related things are irrelevant (DACs produce constant quality, better or worse - usually good enough. MP3 and other lossy formats produce different kind of quality variations. A good lossy encoder produces transparent quality 99.x % of time and when it fails an occasional sound may momentarily differ slightly from the original. These kind of errors happen rarely and have a very short duration. Typically a very critical direct comparison is needed to hear any lossy encoding artifacts*.)

To answer the original question, I wouldn't recommend changing from APE or FLAC to ALAC because MC doesn't support m4a tag writing, but if someone really needs to convert files to ALAC it is possible to use an external encoder with MC for ALAC encoding:

a commercial option: dBpoweramp Reference and its CoreConverter component
- can get tags from the source files and practically all file formats supported.

a free option: qaac and QuickTime
- can get the most common tags from FLAC source files (but not from APE) or can be used with all formats that are supported in MC without tagging the ALAC files.

(I can post instructions for these encoders if someone is interested in trying them)

* for example, the presentation and results of an MP3 @ VBR 128 kbps public listening test:
http://listeningtests.t35.com/mp3-128-1/
http://listeningtests.t35.com/mp3-128-1/results.htm

EDIT

I attached screenshots of suitable External Encoder settings.
qaac is available here: http://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/
Also QuickTime is needed for it: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Here are the command lines:
dBpa:  -infile=%IN -outfile=%OUT -convert_to="Apple Lossless"
qaac:  --alac -o %OUT %IN

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:01:57 am »

Just to be clear, I am NOT suggesting that there is no value at all in having your primary library in lossless.  Simply that the sacrifice necessary to get "lossless audio" onto your iPod, when you'll never actually get it off of the thing perfectly, and where you use it most often is a place where you couldn't even hear the difference anyway (if even there was a difference which there isn't, really, in most cases), and then it takes quite a bit more space... It isn't worth the cost.

I have no quarrel generally with the concept of using lossless files where necessary, especially for archive purposes.  I too am now ripping all my CDs newly acquired CDs in FLAC, I've re-ripped the best of my remaing existing CD collection, and I acquire as much new music in lossless formats as is possible (which is certainly not impossible even electronically if you try, I bought the new Arcade Fire album in FLAC legitimately directly from the group, as well as many nine inch nails albums and a number of other things).  If I buy an album through Amazon MP3 that I decide I love enough, I buy the CD and rip it myself.

There is a time and a place.  And ALAC is a pain in the rear, and not a very friendly citizen anyway.

PS. Alex, this makes me laugh.  Your posts sometimes remind me of a Vulcan.  It's fun to "hear" them in Spock's voice in my head.

PPS.  I like that the spellcheck in Firefox doesn't recognize one word "spellcheck" but does recognize "Spock".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:15:02 am »

One little gripe with that test though (I've seen it posted before)... I don't like how they didn't include a reference audio sample and test against that.  How often would people have been able to pick out the reference in this kind of test?  It would have made the results much more interesting, and put them in much better perspective.

If you've ever done an ABX test yourself...  ::)

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:40 am »

I do this in my car too (I have a Pioneer system with USB inputs).  I haven't actually seen any comprehensive analysis that shows that using the dock-connector actually DOES avoid the DAC in the iPod (it is entirely possible that it is still running the audio through the DAC even when you are using the dock connector output).  Maybe a scientific analysis exists that shows that this avoids the DAC and preserves a bit-perfect output, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that Apple is still mucking with the signal in some way on the way out of the dock connector.  I'd guess they're doing it whatever way is cheapest and easiest.  But.... Who knows?

It actually is possible to get digital out from an iPod that bypasses the internal DAC in the iPod.  Wadia and Peachtree Audio both do it.  I doubt any car audio systems do it.  It would be rather silly to do that for car audio.  But who knows, I don't follow car audio.  The Wadia and Peachtree Audio units are rather silly as well.  Fancy DAC options that will be obsolete when Apple decides to change the iPod connector or the internals or the form factor. 

Other than that though, a dock connector to an iPod is doing analog audio and getting a line level type signal.

And I also agree that putting lossless on a portable is silly as well.  High bitrate MP3 is good enough for anything that a portable can do.  Do lossless on the desktop/laptop that connects to a quality home audio DAC.  Then take advantage of J River's conversion cache and on the fly conversion during sync to convert FLAC or APE files to MP3 when syncing to an iPod or other portable.  It works.  That's what I do to sync my iPod.  I certainly can't ABX a high bitrate MP3 against ALAC on my iPod even when using an external headphone amp and high quality headphones so lossless on an iPod doesn't make much sense.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:08:41 am »

It actually is possible to get digital out from an iPod that bypasses the internal DAC in the iPod.  Wadia and Peachtree Audio both do it.  I doubt any car audio systems do it.  It would be rather silly to do that for car audio.  But who knows, I don't follow car audio.  The Wadia and Peachtree Audio units are rather silly as well.  Fancy DAC options that will be obsolete when Apple decides to change the iPod connector or the internals or the form factor.  

Ahhh... I see.  Interesting.

I hadn't seen those particular devices in my searches, but I did find a number of other devices that claimed the same thing in their initial promotional materials only to back down later (or "clarify" their claims).  It does seem, with further research, that the Wadia device at least does do true digital out from the iPod.  However, the way they're doing this is essentially the same way a Mac plays the files back digitally.  They licensed the USB "sync engine" from Apple (which is closed and proprietary and expensive), and the dock actually reads and plays the digital files themselves from the iPod (it bypasses the playback engine of the iPod completely, not just the DAC).  And I still haven't been able to find any results of a test where someone actually hooked up a digital cable and monitored the signal and confirmed that it is actually bit-perfect with ALAC files.  A bunch of claims, and a bunch of "it sounds wonderful" posts, but no real tests.  Of course, the threads are all long and I'm not spending a ton of time on it.

This has a number of awful side effects, including primarily, that you are often completely reliant on the "dock" for file navigation and playback controls.  Many of the end-user reviews I found of the Wadia iTransport were decidedly negative.  I also suspect that you might be left in the lurch with a complex device like this with upgrades to iOS on Apple's newer iOS products.

I also did find a bunch of posts claiming the same for a number of car stereos, but these posts were universally all from salespeople who may or may not be "misinformed" (I found one particular Crutchfield set of posts that claimed this, for example).  I could find very little confirmation from people I trust confirming that these units actually do function like the salespeople were claiming.

EDIT: This guy art Stereophile did actually apparently confirm it, at least with the older Wadia iTransport.

Footnote 2: I recorded the bits coming from the Wadia's coaxial S/PDIF output to my lab PC via the digital input of an RME soundcard, with Wes's iPod Nano playing a losslessly compressed file. I then compared that recording with a WAV rip from the original CD. The files were bit-for-bit identical, meaning that the 170iTransport is indeed transparent via its digital output. However, the datastream appears to have fairly high jitter, which will make the Wadia's sound quality dependent on the D/A processor used.—John Atkinson

So that's a good sign.  I haven't found anything similar with any car stereos though.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »

One little gripe with that test though (I've seen it posted before)... I don't like how they didn't include a reference audio sample and test against that.

Hi glynor, it's Spock again.

In those Hydrogen Audio tests every test sample was compared against the lossless reference file. The ABC/HR Java program shows each test sample as paired with the reference. You can still download the original test files from this link if you want to see how the test works and hear the samples.

How often would people have been able to pick out the reference in this kind of test?  It would have made the results much more interesting, and put them in much better perspective.

For example, here are the results of the sample number three from the above linked test:

- 26 testers, five encoders and the low anchor. Many tester's could only detect the low anchor ("5" means indistinguishable from the reference).

As always in the HA listening tests, any results with rated reference files were disqualified.

If you've ever done an ABX test yourself...  ::)

I may have done a few...  ;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »

Oh, okay... I missed that in the results.   :-[

(I'd had a couple of glasses of wine, and watched a bit of Star Trek last night.  It did make me laugh though...)

I've done a few too...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:14 pm »

Actually... No, you misunderstood what I was asking for, I think.  That, or I still misunderstand something in the results (which is entirely possible).

They're paired with the "reference" sample, but the test doesn't appear to force you to try to blindly "choose" the sample from within the other results.  In other words, do you hear the reference twice during the course of the test (once identified as the reference, and once not)?

If the test was run that way, it doesn't appear that the results for the lossless file are reported in the graphs.  There doesn't appear to be any test here for transparency, just relative quality of the different encoders.  Obviously at 128k-ish, none of them are really going to be transparent with a trained ear.  However, with some samples, you'd be surprised how often you can't pick it out (or when you really aren't sure).

But again...  I could be totally brain-dead and reading the graphs wrong.

Hirez24

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 07:05:28 am »

Just to clarify guys, I am not some audio snob that wont listen to an mp3. I am fully aware that most times an mp3 when encoded correctly will sound close to the original. I only use apple lossless on my ipod classic 160gb so I can maintain the 24bit audio files I have.That is why when I purchased my car deck I made sure that it bypassed my ipod dac. Here is a link of head units that do bypass the ipod dac.                          http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JsSizjuykTA/learn/blogs/av_tips/archive/2009/04/21/car-stereos-that-let-you-bypass-your-ipod-s-built-in-digital-to-analog-converter.aspx

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

Just to clarify guys, I am not some audio snob that wont listen to an mp3. I am fully aware that most times an mp3 when encoded correctly will sound close to the original. I only use apple lossless on my ipod classic 160gb so I can maintain the 24bit audio files I have.That is why when I purchased my car deck I made sure that it bypassed my ipod dac. Here is a link of head units that do bypass the ipod dac.                          http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JsSizjuykTA/learn/blogs/av_tips/archive/2009/04/21/car-stereos-that-let-you-bypass-your-ipod-s-built-in-digital-to-analog-converter.aspx

Yeah... I saw that Crutchfield post, and a few others like it (all of which, incidentally listed different stereos).  Have you seen any trusted sources that confirmed this claim by recording the digital output and then doing a bitwise comparison?

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 09:39:17 am »

ALAC is closed and proprietary, which makes it difficult to support nicely.
After reading this thread, I downloaded dpPoweramp. I was really glad to see it supports APE format, as my very large library is all APE encoded. It does make nice AAC files in a reasonably short period of time.

Matt... it would be such a pleasure to just select "Apple Lossless" as the encoder during an iPod sync. I love your transcoded syncing these days - it works perfectly for me with MP3s. If a little company like dpPoweramp can license Apple Lossless, it sure seems like JRiver should be able to.

I would *gladly* pay an extra $10 for this feature, and I'll bet I am not the only one. It takes so much life-bandwidth to process APE with any external transcoder and then pass playlists through renaming software. And after all the work, there's no real sync.

Please. Pretty please, with sugar on top. Apple is Apple, but they are here to stay.

PS... I can only code about half my music library in Apple Lossless or it won't fit on the iPod classic. I have a custom field set up for quality level... something similar would be important with a lossless sync and our huge libraries.

PPS... I have a Mark Levinson system in the living room. I currently walk my MacBook Pro over to the stereo rack and hook its IR SPDIF output directly to the Levinson's SPDIF-in. I get the Levinson ultra-DAC with MC control over play sequence - it's great! I'm another person on the list of "I definitely hear the difference."

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:30 am »

PS... I can only code about half my music library in Apple Lossless or it won't fit on the iPod classic.

Oh wow.  You have a music library that can even dream of fitting in 120GB?  With some of it even in lossless?

My MP3 -V5 (high quality portable) Conversion Cache is around 180GB, and it doesn't have a full copy of my library converted (not even close).  And then I use my phone for video too.  No one makes a portable player that has anywhere near the capacity I'd need to carry my whole library.  I think lots of MC users are in the same boat.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 10:15:49 am »

It takes so much life-bandwidth to process APE with any external transcoder and then pass playlists through renaming software. And after all the work, there's no real sync.

You could set up dbpoweramp to work as an external encoder in MC (examples above), and then use the Handheld sync options to create the ALAC files on the fly when you sync.  Or, set up dbpoweramp as an external encoder and just convert your APE library if you want.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

My gosh, no. I use a custom field with LL, HQ, and NQ choices for coding, and only include 3-5 star files. Because I want lossless on my favorites, I use iTunes and import from a playlist ("All iPod"). This gives me a lot of control over what I include. I wrote software to scan the playlists and change the APE to M4A where appropriate. I'm hoping we'll see a 250-500Gb iPod Classic fairly soon.

I write apps for iPod touch, so I end up using that one a lot. I don't include the NQ files and just sync with MC transcoding to MP3. This is far easier!

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 10:48:13 am »

You could set up dbpoweramp to work as an external encoder in MC (examples above)

Ah... thank you! I didn't understand the reference to CoreComponent when I read it earlier. Maybe there should be a "How-to" thread just for this option?

Wow. I started with Music Jukebox 7. What an evolution!

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »

Thanks again for the help. Using the dbPa CoreConverter as an external encoder works, going to the iPod. It's pretty slow, though.

It only seems to sync one-way. If I modify a rating on the iPod and resync, the modified rating does not make it back to the APE file in MC. Should I expect it to?

Aw, nuts. I thought I'd try this on the iPod touch I use for app development, and MC can't see it. Since I'll need iTunes regardless, I guess I'll just continue to sync with it. If MC could use iTunes as a sync engine with Apple Lossless, that would probably be the most effective solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »

If MC could use iTunes as a sync engine with Apple Lossless, that would probably be the most effective solution.

They love me like I was a brother
They protect me, listen to me
They dug me my very own (walled) garden
Gave me sunshine, made me happy

Nice dream, nice dream
Nice dream

Frobozz

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »

After reading this thread, I downloaded dpPoweramp. I was really glad to see it supports APE format, as my very large library is all APE encoded. It does make nice AAC files in a reasonably short period of time.

Matt... it would be such a pleasure to just select "Apple Lossless" as the encoder during an iPod sync. I love your transcoded syncing these days - it works perfectly for me with MP3s. If a little company like dpPoweramp can license Apple Lossless, it sure seems like JRiver should be able to.

I would *gladly* pay an extra $10 for this feature, and I'll bet I am not the only one. It takes so much life-bandwidth to process APE with any external transcoder and then pass playlists through renaming software. And after all the work, there's no real sync.

Please. Pretty please, with sugar on top. Apple is Apple, but they are here to stay.

I don't know if Apple is willing/able to license third party implementations of ALAC.  The ALAC support in Nero and dBpoweramp is reverse engineered, with the legal issues and technical issues that all involves.  I don't know if they have gotten any kind of a license from Apple to make it official.  I don't know how legal their implementations are (IANAL or even a business major).  Both companies are outside the US and may be operating under different laws.

FFmpeg can do ALAC but is GPL and LGPL.  Can't just throw that code in a commercial product.  FFmpeg makes use of some patented technology and a commercial company would need to get licenses for that patented tech as well.  I don't know if ALAC is covered by any patents, it likely is.

I'm not sure that JRiver can support ALAC legally.  It can be done technically, but would require reverse engineering work.  I don't want J River having to do something that will get them sued or be a legal liability hanging over them.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 09:50:50 pm »

I'm not sure that JRiver can support ALAC legally.  It can be done technically, but would require reverse engineering work.  I don't want J River having to do something that will get them sued or be a legal liability hanging over them.

JimH thinks it's OK:  (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57275.0)

This feature was introduced in MC15.0.31. It requires iTunes to do the actual sync. You can uncheck all the options when installing. MC will start iTunes when it's needed. Select a playlist or album (any list should work) of MP3 files and choose File / Export to iTunes. This feature only works with MP3 files right now.

The "right now" gives me hope. If/when it can be used for lossless files, it would be exactly what we're looking for. This thread also describes the API offered by Apple. Look for Glynor's entries. It's not a matter of reverse engineering.

Frobozz

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 12:41:51 am »

My response was about MC being able to play and tag ALAC files as a native format as seamlessly as we can do with FLAC, MP3 and APE files.  I don't think that can happen cause the ALAC format isn't open and available for third party implementation.  The challenges in doing so are more than just technical.

It would be nice to have native ALAC support.  Would make being able to share a music library between MC and a Mac much easier.  That would be cool, very cool.  Unfortunately I don't think it is ever going to happen.  About as likely as Apple deciding to give iTunes native FLAC support (that would be very cool as well).

Being able to sync to the Touch or iPhone or iPad using the iTunes scripting API is a different issue.  That is possible to do.  But again, you run into problems if you want MC to be able to manage ALAC files and be able to sync ALAC files.  A project feature that requires a lawyer on the dev team is not a good feature to pursue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up